Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbird

FFUR - Huge Release !!

The turret coming off is realistic, but its not in the sense that it happpens every time a tank is destroyed. What happens (particularily in Russian tanks) is that the ammo inside the turret cooks off under the heat of whatever penetrated the tanks armor, and the resulting explosion creates enough pressure to blow the turret clean off. As Ive said though, its not something that happens everytime a tank goes boom, and is rare enough with Western tanks due to their design

it would be cool if itcould be recoverd and repaired..

Quote[/b] ]ch_123 Posted on June 14 2006,18:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The turret coming off is realistic, but its not in the sense that it happpens every time a tank is destroyed. What happens (particularily in Russian tanks) is that the ammo inside the turret cooks off under the heat of whatever penetrated the tanks armor, and the resulting explosion creates enough pressure to blow the turret clean off. As Ive said though, its not something that happens everytime a tank goes boom, and is rare enough with Western tanks due to their design

i heard off this about the T-72, and also see a pic off T-55 with out turret, but with T-90/80 i think it is as rare as with western tanks, besides US and Russian tanks is the only one that have been in battle, 90% true.... so you cant talk about all western tanks..

Yes, I heard that the Russians have improved their tanks in this regard. AFAIK, if a tank is hit, 9/10 it will look almost perfect from the outside, except for the hole (which is quite small) some blackness and some smoke. Generally when tanks are destroyed the inside is wrecked, the outside doesnt look that bad

it would be cool if itcould be recoverd and repaired..

if u guys are following this topic then u should know that with the patch the turret blown off will be done at random not on every tank smile_o.gif

tb has announced it himself somewhere...

Most Western tanks have blow hatches designed into the structure of the turret, so that if the ammo compartment takes a hit, the blast is vented out this hatch. Russian turrets tend to be simply 'dropped' onto the hull, which is why their turrets usually get blown clean off

I've seen training videos of the M1A2 Abrams been hit by about 5 ATGM's and it still could move and function to an extent.

About the turrets blowing off. Is there any way to get other parts of the tank to blow off like the treads or the main gun this would be some what realistic because its not always the turret that pops off.

I wonder what kind of ATGM, probably some crappy 40-year old AT-3.

About the tracks and gun: Such ideas have been talked about before, dont think they really worked.

I've seen training videos of the M1A2 Abrams been hit by about 5 ATGM's and it still could move and function to an extent.

Not a big deal. In Chechnya, there were reports of a T-72 (with ERA) being hit simultenously with some like 18 RPGs and still being alive. Chobham armour is especially good against HEAT rounds, just like ERA is. Although ofcourse they use different methods to do this.

People really have a hardon with ATGMs but they wont replace a high velocity 125/120mm SABOT round. Ofcourse then there is ATGMs with tandem warheads which brings another story. ERA is virtually invincible to HEAT rounds, and so is Chobham armour. But...every tank has it's weakspots and a well organized ambush can destroy an Abrams or any tank for that matter since these are Cold War tanks designed with front armour in mind. Also, all tanks have very very week tops, and weak bottoms. Chechen rebels fired ATGMs and RPGs from the rooftops in buildings and destroy many tanks until russians started fitting ERA on the tops. As well, they used the basements and fired from below, since Russian tanks cannot depress their guns low enough to hit them.

But, a well organized ambush using own terrain and wits against a modern tank can win. Maybe not a total hollywood explosion, but you can disable a modern tank or atleast damage enough for it to be abandoned.

and the debate continues... nothin is invincible as ukraineboy has just said and m1 hit in the engine comp from above would be disabled so..

I encourage the FFUR team to take as long as they need to get all bugs and issues ironed out. If they rush there will be a bunch of problems that people will be upset about and then they will start screaming for a patch.

isnt a patch suppose to rif the mod of bugs?

That's my point, a patch is only necessary when the bugs weren't removed in the first place. Believe it or not some games don't require patches after they are released.

isnt a patch suppose to rif the mod of bugs?

The thing is that the 2006 patch is more than a patch: it adds lots of things on to it. And when you start adding new stuff, theres bound to be some bugs here and there

which entail fixing which entails more patches and the circle of patching continues

I just wanted to comment on the tanks explodeing...

Its really cheesy looking, especially how high the turret goes.

Not to mention if you try to sachel or a tank hits a mine the turret still flys off...Kinda ruined the tank battles IMO.

hi guys, im not sure if this is true, and i dont have enoguh tiem to read through 269 pages of this. so, is there an MP config for ffur2006? ive heard about one. but i cant find it, so if someone could asnwer that please biggrin_o.gif

There is. Since I can't find the link either, but the release notes mention it, I guess it's in the main download then. Don't actually use this mod (not that I wouldn't like it...), so it's just a guess. confused_o.gif

But good luck.

Yeah, the 4 gunner positions aren't going to break BIS/3rd-party missions too much tounge2.gif

I think not only would it un-balance missions, it may not even be compatible as its all scripted (the multiple gunner seats that is).