Sign in to follow this  
marcusjm

Gameplay Improvements

The screens looks great but personally graphics were never a problem for me.

What I'm interested in is whether there will be any actual gameplay updates in  this. I'm talking about smarter team AI (ie no default Rambo rushes with all AI dieing type of faults).

Scripting is nice but i would like to see better handling of the group, especially when you are not a squad leader yourself. Not the type where one man is sent off to die in a piecemal fashion. Even if certain scripts can help I haven't found any configuration which really satisfies me in solo play.

Do I have to wait for game no 2 for any AI improvements whatsoever?

I would pay 100$ just for suppressive fire to be added. To heck with all texture improvements smile_o.gif.

marcus

I agree. Also looking forward for better colition effects and more interaction with the gaming world.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Oh boy.. here we go again..</span> smile_o.gif

(i said nothing.. continue plz..) whistle.gif

I dont know whats wrong with all of you  about graphics, better grafics is one of the best thing arma will offer (even small ameliorations), gameplay wll be ameliorated for sure ,would you think bis would release the same game as flashpoint without amelioration to gameplay ,still  graphics is important !

wait and see ....

ps this thread is almost closed  whistle.gif

Why would that be? I can't think of a single fault with that question. It's a simple consumer question which decides whether purchasing is worthwhile. Browsing through the 4 pages I don't see it asked yet either.

If graphics updates is all there is to it then I'll simply wait for game no 2. I never thought OFP as a game for graphics fantasts but rather for those who wanted realistic infantry/combined arms maneuvers simulated. If both then nice but i prefer the last one.

The one thing that made me hopeful was that they said updates were expected from the "pro version" of OFP. I never played that, but I sort of expected that version to have better use of tactics from AI. I doubt Human Waves ala USSR anno 1940 style tactics is used by any real army smile_o.gif.

Btw, if asking questions is so sensitive then I'd suggest putting the entire forum on hold until important parts are worked out. New users might be scared when they see an entire forum with only locked threads.

marcus

Well gameplay is a broud catagory... we really dont know if there are going to be thoes kinds of AI improvements. There are def going to be some improvements, but to what, only the devs know. Durring hte recent interview it was said that this game is shapeing into a game2 of its own... so that means there are likely many new additions and changes. So its just a waiting game now.

mm, yeah.... a AI that seeks cover when taking fire, then evaluates the threat (in about the same time a human would, also depending on skill and rank), sets up a plan to coop with the threat, and then orders each individual of the squad to act according to the threat and plan biggrin_o.gif

like maybe the MG gunner sets up covering fire, the GL gunner lobs grenades into the target, the riflemen flanks/assaults and the medic/RTO (whatever might be available) stays behind with the squad leader (if a RTO unit it may call for CAS, artillery or any other available support) biggrin_o.gif

that would be very nice, however, i think thats something for game 2 to incorporate all those changes, but maybe, hopefully and probably ArmA will feture some of them smile_o.gif

seeing as ArmA is a new engine (or atleast heavily upgraded) i see it very unlikely that the AI behaviour has NOT been upgraded, especially since that has been a request from the community since the game was first released.

if all this changes was/is incorporated it would defenitly rais the difficulty a hundred levels and also make for much longer and intense firfights (as both side would continualy adapt to eachother and change it´s tactics/aproaces)

the_shadow describes the dream game smile_o.gif.

At least some sort of "event" for soldiers going prone when shots are fired nearby. I mean, the animations etc already exists so it would (hopefully) just require some new events or something.

I doubt this game will be budget priced so I expect at least some "real" updates as well as newer graphics.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

bm

At least some sort of "event" for soldiers going prone when shots are fired nearby. I mean, the animations etc already exists so it would (hopefully) just require some new events or something.

I doubt this game will be budget priced so I expect at least some "real" updates as well as newer graphics.

bm

They allready do, dont they?

bm

They allready do, dont they?

Well, the do get prone but not due to suppression fire. Just as often they charge or do something weird. You can of course use a script to simulate it but from my knowledge the best variant requires the use of disable AI commands (btw, wouldn't including an "enable AI" command be a small thing to code? If the other stuff is too heavy)

AI is good at flanking though.

BM

lol it's the same shit as ofp, need to redo the whole game with new buildings, plants, trees, fuck it just make a brand new game.

Wow, I'm going to be interested to see how those words taste after release.. rofl.gif

Time will tell. I for one am going to be interested to see the new collision detection and how the units maneuver indoors.

Graphics, colision detection (no more clipping) and improved performance, i also look forward to the new island and campaign by BIS.

Gameplay wise i would like if they would take the oportunity to fix some small things like realistic hand grenades or make the weapons more realistic by improving the M16 fire rate and remove the burst mode from the Kalashnikovs.

The a.i. could use some tweaking, especialy helicopter pilots and side gunners wink_o.gif . I dont really expect alot more than a more eficient and updated OPF, whatever more they add to it will be bonus for me smile_o.gif .

Oh yeah, i would kill for a much improved sound engine and weapon sounds too smile_o.gif .

Oh yeah, i would kill for a much improved sound engine and weapon sounds too smile_o.gif .

Yeah me too, atleast for improved sound engine.

I definitely hope for AI improvements as well as improved vehicle physics. I'm not too sure that the ability to drift around corners in a BMP is entirely realistic...

The graphics changes are important for me as well, especially the lighting improvements. It gave me hope to see a soldier's shadow actually get shown on an individual forest tree in an OFP Elite video, and I hope that nighttime lighting has improved as well--the light given off by headlights/searchlights on vehicles, as well as static streetlamps isn't very pleasing to the eyes--my eyes at least. Here's hoping for the best, but I'm not too worried--BIS knows their stuff.

For me: I dont care much about eye-candy...but improved, more realistic gameplay and well written network code!!!, and if there will be some graphics tuning, well, i could live with that!  smile_o.gif

While new graphics and the like are nice, I'd be more than happy with simply, better collision detection, destructible buildings, and bundled mod tools with in depth tutorials, (same as used to make the game), upon release. Hell just add this stuff to the old game and I'd pay for it.

AI and squad communication in any mode has to be the priority IMHO.

Ex:

I'm fed up of waiting for a squad member to say he's "injured" in a slow voice, after I just clicked "Reveal" on a sniper that's taking out my men.

I have to wait for "4" to finish his sentence before the sniper is revealed, a right pain in the ass.

When I say "Get Down!" or "Sniper 6 o clock" , number 4 can go fuk himself at that moment.

As for the AI, well let's put it this way - the enemy spends too much time sitting in the open, being shot to bits. And, I have noticed the enemy waits a while before shooting at you, or runs right past you. In Multiplayer the AI is a complete liability.

BIS may have had the excuse back in 2001 that CPUs at the time were not powerful enough for the complex AI code required, but they do not have that excuse now.

Is there any chance of some official information being released about engine / ai / improvements ? I think BIS mentioned that ArmA was much more than OFP 1.5 so it would be nice to know how far they've moved on from the original.

Screenshots are nice but it's the enhancements to the gameplay and engine that I'm interested in.

So pretty please, with sugar on top - give us some info...

Screenshots are nice but it's the enhancements to the gameplay and engine that I'm interested in.

So pretty please, with sugar on top - give us some info...

I believe we will have plenty of that once OPF:Elite comes out, atm their priority should be to advertise their next release, its obvious because they have put so much work in it, after that they will start advertising and spreading more arma info and footage i think, its hard to wait i know, i could imagine myself playing arma right now pistols.gif .

ECP(and/or the OFPEC/OFP)  has come along way of improving AI but it's all script based. It would be better if these improvements were hardcoded/compiled into the engine.

Worst case they can hire ECP to do some changes in exchange of a free ArmA wink_o.gif.

Btw. About the injured thing. Many of these things could be fully automated imho, if someone is injured then the nearest medic should simply go to action (think there are some scripts for this), same with no ammo. The micromanagement can sometimes be a real pain when you are in a heavy fire fight.

I'm thinking of shortcutting certain common commands as well.

marcus

Come to think of it, I'd quite like to be able to lean around corners as well biggrin_o.gif

Of course, if the AI was shit you could lean out, kill one enemy, lean back in, wait, lean out... kill... repeat.

Wouldn't it be great (edit: for MP) though?

Maps like Hexenkessel CTF would be MUCH improved with leaning.

I've not fired a gun in real life so if it's not realistic to lean and shoot, then so be it - keep the realism pistols.gif

Man, it is REALISTIC to lean and shoot, it's one of the basic things you need to know how to do (especially in urban combat). You keep a lower profile, and survive longer. Of course it should be in Armed Assault... whether SP or MP..

Man, it is REALISTIC to lean and shoot, it's one of the basic things you need to know how to do (especially in urban combat).  You keep a lower profile, and survive longer.  Of course it should be in Armed Assault... whether SP or MP..

It is realistic to lean and to shoot but leaning and shooting at the same time sounds wrong, you cant hit nothing in rl if you do that, i would like to peek around corners to see if its safe to move or not but not shooting acurately while leaning, especialy if your leaning to the left confused_o.gif .

Maybe if the game featured CQB and house to house urban fighting but over distance it would be wrong..