Sign in to follow this  
crave22

WWI Mod

Quote[/b] ]@Khalid

What the hell has that got to do with a WWI mod?

no doubt.  whistle.gif

Anyways, does this mod have anything model wise WIP started (to check out) or is it still all just being started?

Ya, it's all still being started. However, Anzac said a little while back that he would donate the models from his mod. This mod will have a lot to owe to him. I'll probably e-mail him tonight about that. smile_o.gif

Thank you very much! I'll see if I can get back to you soon by PM or whatever. Thanks! wink_o.gif

Actually Gavinthecat, the members of the Foreign Legion who fought on the Western Front wore khaki (from their campaigning in North West Africa).  A version in Horizon Bleu would be nice, however.

I offer my services as a makeshift historian should you require one.  It would be nice to have a fully-fledged Great War Mod before Game 2.

As for the use of Tanks in the Great War, when massed they put the fear of God into the Germans.  A large force of tanks broke through the German lines at Cambrai in 1917, resulting in every church bell in Britain being rung in joy; unfortunately, due to the incompetence of an infantry commander there were NO reinforcements and no troops to support the tanks-the Tanks were then gunned down mercilessly.  One German officer at his field gun singlehandedly knocked out five tanks before succumbing to wounds.  Contrary to popular opinion, the British tank force was amazingly advanced by the end of the war, with hundreds of tanks and doctrine being constantly improved upon.  The Germans, by contrast, built 18 tanks in the entire war. British tanks played an important role in the throwing back of the Germans in Spring, 1918 and the consequent "100 Days" advance to victory.

Ah good old harley! I hope ur still on my msn btw?

And yeah the horizon blue should i say lol outfits, they pretty much wore them on the trenches no? (is this a ww1 mod in france or?)

It is rather strange and impractical, but the French did send the troops into the trenches wearing blue helmets and light blue uniforms. Pour le Gloire of France I suppose. Amazingly impractical as far as trench warfare goes, but surviving the war in them sure must have made the French Army feel very proud of itself.

Indeed, Gavinthecat, I am still on your messenger I think, but I've been travelling the American Midwest these past 2 months so have had littler chance to keep up with things.

Thanks for your offer of being our historian. I'll be sure to have Typhoon add you to the list. wink_o.gif

For all interested, Typhoon has put up a registaration form on the site, so please, use this for future reference. smile_o.gif

This is from memory, so correct me if I'm wrong, people;

"Tank" was a shortened form of "Water Tank", a code-name coined by Winston Churchill (reputedly) in case the Germans were reading British Despatches and Orders. I'll have to find out what the original name for the tank was; there must have been one, otherwise they wouldn't have had to give it a false name.

It is rather strange and impractical, but the French did send the troops into the trenches wearing blue helmets and light blue uniforms. Pour le Gloire of France I suppose. Amazingly impractical as far as trench warfare goes, but surviving the war in them sure must have made the French Army feel very proud of itself.

It used to be worse... in 1914 "the poilus" had to wear flashy red trousers with some kind of dark blue tunic and no helmet...

But well wearing light blue uniforms wouldnt make much difference once they're all dirty and covered in mud...

see the guy on the left is wearing the early uniform... much much worse as you can see...

uniforme10.jpg

Thanks for putting me right, Fab. I've got this contempary French magazine which says they changed in 1911. Oh well. At least in 1914 (excluding Plan 17) there was still an element of mobility before Trench warfare and attrition were the name of the game. The gaudy colours wouldn't have mattered too much (not having a steel helmet did). I do hope this mod will be modelling the French Army to some extent, as its record in the War is fascinating (from ignominious to tragic to heroic).

they wore the Red pants from at least 1871 (franco Prussian war)

and Prob before that (Americn Zouaves wore it and they based themsleves on french uniforms ACW 1861-65)

Oh cool Ideas By the Way....

guy on the right looks like a cleaner in uniform tounge2.gif

looks like both of them wanted to be seen on battlefield and get a bullet crazy_o.gif

We've had two additions to the team. Harley and Shinkansen have been added to the list! Welcome! Anyone else who's interested is always welcome, too! smile_o.gif

That reminds me of Black Baron's Fokker D.VIII, does anybody have a working link for the v1.1 version of it? His site's link doesn't seem to work anymore... help.gif

Hi,

yes this mod is back, I have found my backup copy and redoing this addons.

The old planes had the disadvantages that they will sooner or later crash if they are AI controlled. The new planes will have two small changes, they are all 100 km/h faster than their historical max. speeds and they have full flaps and ailerons available so they are really good in dogfight.