Sign in to follow this  
Stealth3

BF2 Criticism and Thoughts

What the most funniest is, when you are a medic. You can keep reviving friendlies with the shock thingys. I even seen a group with 2 medics assaulting a base and they kept reviving eachother like 10 times while they've taken several grenades and a ton of iron! How do you call that attack? Medicrush attack? lol!

Come on ffs there should be a limit to reviving half blown away corpses. biggrin_o.gif

you know what I like about the game?

check this. This was done in about a sec for a new coming clan from Pclab.pl

pclab1ma.th.jpg

my guess that BF2 is going to be a complete failiure, and possibly a wake up call for EA.

The complete lack of support for Geforce 4's was a major lack of thought on their part.  How can you expect to sell games to people when only 25-40% of PC's can play it?  

That and their main market (15-25) do not have much money, so unless they get a loan or somit they cant afford a Geforce 6800 = not many people buying.

ever thought that the GeFrce 4's just cant hack 1.4 pixel shaders used.

BF2 is going to be a great success and i can't wait because ill be on the goon server playing coordinated games with mass amounts of team play.

I don't why people are talking about lack of realism, its a BF game there built around gameplay first and not realism.

Then there's all the complaints about no 1280x1024 support. Here's the short answer, it's the aspect ratio. All the supported resolutions, such as 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200 are 5:4 aspect ratios. 1280x1024 is not, it's 4:3.

We are talking about a vector-based DirectX game, right? (O dear, another one which will never be ported...)

So the task of rasterisation (vectors -> pixels) is up to Direct3D's transformation algorithms. Iirc you can pass certain parameters like resolution, aspect ratio, field of view etc. to the object at construction/init time. So where's the problem? (except for slight gameplay advantages regarding gamers with cinemascope screens wink_o.gif).

Another one from the thread:

Quote[/b] ]Just to confirm what Protagonist said, the demo does indeed come with new nVidia drivers and I strongly recommend installing them. I forgot to the first time I ran the demo and got the same shadow issue others are getting. Installing the drivers should sort shadow issues entirely.

Although I know the rule of "don't discuss other forums" I have one question. Why is the first solution to fix a buggy game "get new graphics drivers"? Major program development took place long ago, so why should an update of graphics drivers cure bugs? This question is unanswered since last millenium...

That's all well and good, but the gameplay's shallower than an impromptu grave. Rush, Die, Repeat.

Quote[/b] ]That's all well and good, but the gameplay's shallower than an impromptu grave. Rush, Die, Repeat.

It's BF what do you expect...

I downloaded the demo and it ok. I was a bit disapointed by how it ran on my system though. I run hl2 max out with out a hitch, but i cant even run this with AA on 1024 * 768. The game play is the same as BF just it looks better and there are iron sights and a few extra gadgets, but it is still fun. The only thing that i really hate though is how hard it is to kill someone. I can take down some one with a couple head shots with the m4 and m16, but the rest of the guns blow. The AR is usless because i guess they figured that since it shoots fast and has a load of ammo that they should make it weak as hell. To kill someone with it I have to put about 20 rounds in them. Dont even try to kill some one with the mp5, its totally useless. The shot gun is good at close range but thats a bit boring. There are pistols, but they have no purpose because you can kill someone with a full clip. The only upside to the weapons is that they have decent firing sounds, and they made some atempt to stop the run and gun by not letting you sprint and fire. Over all I would say you will enjoy this if you are a fan of the bf series, but if you didnt like bf1942 dont expect anything diffrent outta this one.

BF2 is going to be a great success and i can't wait because ill be on the goon server playing coordinated games with mass amounts of team play.

I don't why people are talking about lack of realism, its a BF game there built around gameplay first and not realism.

i havent said anything about lack of realism, i have been saying that EA have made a mistake by not allowing older graphics cards to run the game. They would have got a lot more people buying it that way... (means less noobs for AA) tounge_o.gif

(means less noobs for AA) tounge_o.gif

Who on an OFP forum would even be slightly interested in how BF2 will affect America's Army? rock.gif

The official Armed Assault abbreviation is ArAs, not AA! mad_o.gif

I personally prefer the vocalization of A-RAS, but that's OT.

Anyway, some BF2 demo hacks...

1) Fullscreen or windowed display :

For fullscreen, try this in your shortcut :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

"C:\Program Files\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 0

For windowed, make this change :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

"C:\Program Files\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

2) 1280x1024, or other non 4:3 scale resolutions (-x, -y):

Add this to the end of your shortcut properties :

+szx 1280 +szy 1024

3) Multimonitor support :

BF2 panics in spanned mode on an Nvidia gf6600GT AGP 71.89. I switched back to dual-mode, as BF2 was set to 1600x1200@75hz, and lowered it to spanned-safe-mode setting of 1024x768@75hz in BF2.

On Nvidia cards, spanned mode creates a virtual monitor with some funny profiling. Basically there is a default panic res of 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768, and the rest up to 3200x1200 are 2x spanned resolutions for a single virtual monitor. I'm not entirely familiar with the process, but iirc if you call the device instead of the interface you're going to create a panic when the device specs != the interface specs.

So my intent there was to set BF2 into a span-safe single-mon res, switch into spanned, then see if it detects the spanned resolutions. Didn't detect them, only listed the span-safe subset of single mon resolutions.

So far the only solution for spanning seems to be to run windowed then set the xy scales manually in the shortcut, but I haven't been able to ratchet it up to 3200x1200 yet.

4) Fraps usage :

Anybody able to get the free Fraps working? I was getting a bunch of "directx debugger error"s at the time, but I was also trying to break the multimon too.

5) No annoying intro movies (-nosplash) :

Delete or move the files in "Battlefield 2 Demo\mods\bf2\Movies" folder. You might want to keep the "noise*" movies for the main menu background.

6) Possible ways to workaround the timelock :

Note : this needs to be enabled client and server.

Quote[/b] ]

Open up the file gpm_cq.py with notepad, it's under Battlefield 2 Standalone Demo Server\mods\bf2\python\game\gamemodes

Locate the line

host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)

Place a # in front of it so it appears like

#host.registerHandler('TimeLimitReached', onTimeLimitReached, 1)

This will make the 12 min timer still appear but once it hits 0:00 the clock will disappear and you will be able to play until the tickets expire.

The python code is pretty easy to read, the further related implementation is below at

def onTimeLimitReached(value):

7) Unpacked usage :

I tried unpacking the *.zip files in ea\demo\mods\bf2 and running BF2, but it failed, couldn't find files. Anybody got this to work unpacked?

8) Unlocked weapons :

Quote[/b] ]

1. Open python\bf2\stats\unlocks.py

2. Go to line 44

3. Change the line

defaultUnlocks = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

to

defaultUnlocks = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1]

And if anyone wants to play a limited coop, you can join a single player game through IP.

Just have someone start SP, remember to record the IP address.

Go the Internet Games, and use the connect through IP. Just type in the IP address and you'll be brought into the SP game.

Works very well, no problems. I did this earlier with my older brother.

The only thing that i really hate though is how hard it is to kill someone. I can take down some one with a couple head shots with the m4 and m16, but the rest of the guns blow. The AR is usless because i guess they figured that since it shoots fast and has a load of ammo that they should make it weak as hell. To kill someone with it I have to put about 20 rounds in them. Dont even try to kill some one with the mp5, its totally useless. The shot gun is good at close range but thats a bit boring. There are pistols, but they have no purpose because you can kill someone with a full clip.

Well I cannot share that point of view. I dont know how skilled you are with arcadish ego shooters but for those who are it is not that difficult. Man on Man fights I was basically successful most of the time. It is not challenging to kill someone with an MP4 and the pistols are pretty good at close range.

The game is fun to a certain extent, mostly due to funny encounters.

Yesterday I hided with my jeep next to a runway and waited  untill an airplane tried to lift off. Then i quickly parked my car in its path and got out of the way as quickly as I could. My jeep blew off but to my surprise the plane was still able to take off .. looked very damage though.

There are a lot of very funny features and even if you dont like to play it longterm you should have a try witht the demo. Of course only if you are willing not to take the game too seriously.

And for anyone who likes to perform stunts and do experiments this is the right game for it. I had lots of funny moments yesterday.

BUT ONE THING must be said. Even at high settings the graphics are not as impressive as expected.

And dont get frustrated if you are not too experienced with this sort of games. There are a lot of strange, unrealistic and often unfair tactics that make people achieve their goals. And use the boat and sandbuggy as often as you can. It is the most useful vehicules.

The official Armed Assault abbreviation is ArAs, not AA! mad_o.gif

Official = we say it, so far we haven't said what the official abbreviation will be wink_o.gif

8) Unlocked weapons :
Quote[/b] ]

1. Open python\bf2\stats\unlocks.py

2. Go to line 44

3. Change the line

defaultUnlocks = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]

to

defaultUnlocks = [1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1]

What weapons does this unlock exactly?

I've seen the SA80, G3A3, G36C, PKM, Barrett .50, and a couple more. Only works in single player, tho.

No portable nuclear rocketlaunchers like in Starship Troopers?

I was expecting that weapon in this kind of game.

Congrats to BIS that they made game that still beats 2005 BF2..

demo just proved my hatred toward battlefield series...

I was curious as to see what else I can 'fix' in the game, seeing as everyone was releasing messages on how to get past timer, etc.

But I also found a way to get past only 15 bots. In fact, the file itself gives you the explanation.

This is in the AI folder in Bf2

Look at aidefault.ai (used wordpad to open it up)

echo *****************************************************************************************

echo AIDefault.ai ****************************************************************************

echo *****************************************************************************************

aiSettings.setNSides 2

aiSettings.setAutoSpawnBots 1

aiSettings.setMaxNBots 64

aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 1

aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.4

rem To spawn more than 15 bots in SP, use the following lines instead of the three lines above.

rem Note that this is totaly unsupported, it will affect your system's performance

rem and may even crash your game. That being said, you will most likely be able to run a lot

rem more bots than 15 on your system.

rem Example for 32 bot game with expert bots

rem aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1

rem aiSettings.setMaxNBots 32

rem aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0

rem aiSettings.setBotSkill 1.0

run BotNames.ai

aiSettings.setInformationGridDimension 32

run AIPathFinding.ai

rem EOF

====

Havn't tested this myself yet.

But can you replace the 16p map with the 32p map?

(I have a feeling the reason they've excluded the 32p map as SP is because AI don't fly well biggrin_o.gif )

I suck at the whole coding thing, but it looks entirely possible. I've looked at other .ai files and there is coding for bots to fly, swim, boat, truck, jeep, tank, etc.

But it's a bit more complicated it seems. I'm looking at the map files now, it seems that I'll have to somehow jam 16 bots on each side into a spawn area the size of a pond. So it'd take some messing with the map files itself.

I dunno. I'll just give it a shot.

..why are people, 1, comparing this game to OFP. 2, complaining about "realism" in the game.. It is not realistic, I dont think (and very deeply hope) the developers intended the game to be realistic. It's supposed to be fun..

I downloaded the demo yesterday, and played it in single player. It ran really smoothly, I didn't fiddle with settings, graphics were nice enough, so saw no reason to.

On default everything, I went as SF guy, then AT guy, then sniper. Only cirisism for this sort of game is that the scope has NO wave whatsoever.. Public servers on that game is going to be hidoues..

The thing that I dont like about the game, it is identical to BF1942 in everything but graphics and time (So siutation, weapons etc). It's "BF1942:Shiney Today".. I've never played BF1942 (only secret weapons demo, I had BF1942, but it's a long story tounge_o.gif), the Desert Combat mod looks better (Generaly, not graphics quality) than BF2.. mad_o.gif

Same thing happend with BattleFronts, and a mod for BF1942 (Clone Campigns or something, I really dont remeber tounge_o.gif). The mod was better than the new game..

The game itself was fun, on easy, was to easy (Even for me! I hardly ever play round based FPS-y games, like Counter Strike). Still not got around to trying on the hardest level. The vehicles were okay, the tank turret control wasn't too great, but it worked.

BF2 is fun for 20mins.. Whereas OFP has been fun for 4 years now, and still is.. BF2 can't even begin to even comprehend beating OFP tounge_o.gif

- Ben

I was curious as to see what else I can 'fix' in the game, seeing as everyone was releasing messages on how to get past timer, etc.

But I also found a way to get past only 15 bots. In fact, the file itself gives you the explanation.

This is in the AI folder in Bf2

Look at aidefault.ai (used wordpad to open it up)

echo AIDefault.ai ****************************************************************************

aiSettings.setNSides 2

aiSettings.setAutoSpawnBots 1

aiSettings.setMaxNBots 64

aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 1

aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.4

rem To spawn more than 15 bots in SP, use the following lines instead of the three lines above.

rem Note that this is totaly unsupported, it will affect your system's performance

rem and may even crash your game. That being said, you will most likely be able to run a lot

rem more bots than 15 on your system.

rem Example for 32 bot game with expert bots

rem aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1

rem aiSettings.setMaxNBots 32

rem aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0

rem aiSettings.setBotSkill 1.0

run BotNames.ai

aiSettings.setInformationGridDimension 32

run AIPathFinding.ai

rem EOF

====

Havn't tested this myself yet.

doesnt work sad_o.gif

Wow, so much "code hacking" and CLI-usage for a Windows demo game!

Creating a new kernel yesterday was easier...

biggrin_o.gif SCNR biggrin_o.gif

CLI? It's all python rock.gif

Anyhoo, the idea is nice though as you can write some engine functionality, mission characteristics, module libraries, and the addons. Dunno that python is the best solution, but the concept itself is handy.