Sign in to follow this  
gandalf the white

Poseidon II , the ultimate engine?

hmm, didn't know that the original engine was design with railroad.

railroad-objects *

just like the river-textures wink_o.gif . open the railroad in O2, it's nothing more then a prisma whistle.gif .

EDIT: and when is Suma going to see this? what's the reason of this topic other then fanboy-ism and asskissing? crazy_o.gif

My point about the railroads was that A), they're longer objects than the roads, B) they don't conform to the terrain as extremely as do roads, and C) they have 'ballast' integrated into the model design. These are all subtle little details needed to make effective track models for the engine.

wooah, look at the sea in that BETAthingy, its moving! biggrin_o.gif

(well, sea.. not really, i saw a tank driving over it.. crazy_o.giftounge2.gif )

Guest Ti0n3r

Look at the sea, they look quite the same. wink_o.gif

armed-assault-20050519100238442.jpg

Armed Assault

OFPDawn.jpg

Poseidon

the waves in the poseidon engine demo are not animated: no movement at all, in contrast to Armed Assault wink_o.gif .

that, or my memory fails me, but I dont want to check and get hooked up on that melody again! crazy_o.gif

We've got waves in armed assault. notworthy.gif

the waves in the poseidon engine demo are not animated: no movement at all, in contrast to Armed Assault  wink_o.gif .

go sit on the damn sea, you will see it going up and down!  tounge2.gif

EDIT:

s12bt.th.jpg

s21qt.th.jpg

s32sb.th.jpg

yay.gif

EDIT2: weird spelling errors (you will sea them going? tounge2.gif )

up and down, up and down..... yay.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Yeh, the water was animated, I prefered it to the OFP water inlove.giftounge2.gif

- Ben

Since tanks could drive over sea in poseidon... hm give me 2 minutes...

WOW TANK-CROSSIBLE WATERS IN ARMED ASSAULT!!!! rofl.gif

I like this screens - I would like that on E32006 will be many new screens as E3 2005 - to my gallery tounge2.gif

interiers and woodlands roads inlove.gif

soldier without helmet smile_o.gif

Is vehicle hummer with rocket modul??

game2_1_155291433.jpg

game2_289791570.jpg

I believe that the top one is an Avenger (Humvee with AA capability) and the bottom one might be a stryker or something but it definitly isn't an Avenger.

Yeah. I think that is Stryker. BIS must love it very much. So far we've only seen Strykers in Game2 screenshots. They even tried to pretend that it was a BTR. biggrin_o.gif

It does seem very impressive. The article I read featured on OFP.info mentioned being able to move around inside of vehicles, which will be beyond awesome if it's implemented.

Everything about it seems to indicate that BI studio is adopting an uncommon position of actually listening to it's customers, as well as persuing their own ambitions to create unique and entertaining products, as opposed to simply churning out the same mediocre thing year after year to ensure a certain level of profit.

The clear difference between giants like EA and a company like BIS is the fact that this company is making a profit on the basis of producing a quality product. This as opposed to inundating the market with so much banal garbage and working their development houses like a concentration camps in order to gaurantee some kind of return on the binary drivel they truck off to stores every few months.

So cheers for trying to break the mold BIS, it seems like company is paying attention to the direction the community has gone and is running with it. Here's hoping your next two titles bring even more notoriety and success than the first.

Speaking of which, I'll enjoy seeing sellout pc gaming rags in the US eat their criticisms about this franchise after they're aware of how far it has come from it's earlier days. I'm talking about you especially PC GAMER.

Gandalf just assumes that it will use Ragdoll, as every ''realistic'' modern engine (HL2, Doom3 etc) uses it. Personally I don't need to see a body slide down a hill... huh.gif

Armed Assault will most likely use normal mapping (judging from the screenshots), and OFP2 will also support bump mapping.

yeah a body sliding down a hill? i know what you mean... maybe roll if its a steep and i mean steep hill...more realistic, BF2's ragdoll blew, arms clipping backwards? dont give me bull about the explosion causing that either..then again i guess it lived up to its name, i can pull back a ragdoll's arms backwards also i guess..

Gandalf just assumes that it will use Ragdoll, as every ''realistic'' modern engine (HL2, Doom3 etc) uses it. Personally I don't need to see a body slide down a hill... huh.gif

Armed Assault will most likely use normal mapping (judging from the screenshots), and OFP2 will also support bump mapping.

yeah a body sliding down a hill? i know what you mean... maybe roll if its a steep and i mean steep hill...more realistic, BF2's ragdoll blew, arms clipping backwards? dont give me bull about the explosion causing that either..then again i guess it lived up to its name, i can pull back a ragdoll's arms backwards also i guess..

To the both of you:

I dont know if I commented on this before, but here goes:

Friction can be simulated aswell with Ragdoll, In oblivion this is (what i believe) what causes the bodies to roll down a hill.

However, Oblivion's ragdoll is overall very bad, especially the transaction, When firing arrows or spells the unit will get towwed backwards, or in the air, etc.

But the point of this post is: Friction can be taken into account, wich can make the experience of ragdoll more realistic. Personally I found Doom3's rag doll very good, no sliding, but allot of friction. Only bad thing is that enemies sometimes spun around their own X axis huh.gif (summersault-effect)

To the both of you:

Check the dates of when the posts were posted. He made his reply almost one year after I posted. A year is alot in terms of gamedevelopment.

To the both of you:

Check the dates of when the posts were posted. He made his reply almost one year after I posted. A year is alot in terms of gamedevelopment.

Hehehe, I knew "some" posted recently, but didn't looked where the first "2006" post was. so mebad!

To the both of you:

never to late to put in my two cents is it... well ok i guess, how long do you think it will take the gamming industry to perfect the ragdoll feature? its like they dont really test thier games before they release it....but anyways i dont like to gripe so i guess sorry....

Yeah and a year is alot in terms of gamedevelopment, 2 more years to make OFP2 the best game of my collection!

@BIS: I may miss the point in this footage, but I really don't want butterflies and birds ingame, if the ground textures stay so primitive and bland.

I have to admit that the latest ArmA pictures look better than the carpet-like floor in this Game2-build, but overall the surface is still lacking in micro-detail.

@BIS: I may miss the point in this footage, but I really don't want butterflies and birds ingame, if the ground textures stay so primitive and bland.

I have to admit that the latest ArmA pictures look better than the carpet-like floor in this Game2-build, but overall the surface is still lacking in micro-detail.

Game 2 in gamepage haven´t finallly face and footage from this programe is ugly crazy_o.gif

EDIT:

NEW VIDEO FROM INTERVIEW WITH SPANEL BROTHERS AND THEIR GAME2 AND ARMED ASSAULT IN HIGH RES AND GOOD QUALITY (resolution: 704x576, bitrate: 2038kbit/s, format: wmv time: 4:17min, size: 65MB) - download here from easy-sharing

credits:

My thanks for "djura" which recorded this video. I only converted this video from VOB to WMV format and uploaded for you.

thats because Game 2's development is still two years from development....

WAW nice environment

very realistic scenery as in GAME2

I liked the engine alot! Very nice!

Although the gameplay footage had me concerned. The AI and the enviromeant seemed VERY scripted. Also the fact that the guy could take about 50 bullets without dying. But I guess that could be modded.

It's harder with the AI though... They didn't seem to intelligent.