Sign in to follow this  
Homefry

New Engine

This is the gamespot xbox E3 preview and it seems there are some very good improvements there, improvements that would be greatly welcomed by most of us because i have no interest in purchasing and playing it on a console.

Quote[/b] ]Many of the changes made to the game are minor fixes for issues in the PC game, such as fixes for collision issues, better looking environmental vegetation and background ambience, and some slight shifts in weapon balancing, such as fixing it so the Americans rightly throw timed grenades, rather than the impact grenades, which the Russians now throw.

This is, ofcourse just a small part of what we should expect in ARAS, i am sure it will be much more stable and smooth that old flashpoint, i never thought i would say this but i cant wait to get rid of flashpoint and play ARAS biggrin_o.gif .

This is, ofcourse just a small part of what we should expect in ARAS, i am sure it will be much more stable and smooth that old flashpoint, i never thought i would say this but i cant wait to get rid of flashpoint and play ARAS biggrin_o.gif .

I have thought that MANY a time.

I sure hope it will run better than Flashpoint, and I wish they'ld take out the FPS limit.

It would be really great if the new engine could take advantage of new graphics accelerators and so on. Hope to see proper DX9 support, but especially improved framerates and smoother action in the game. OFP1 is a bit jerky control-wise (always been). Also OFP1 does not seem to get much performance improvement when upgrading display adapter or CPU.

I think we are going to get a much improved game engine, but not much new gameplay elements. By that I mean; the basic functionality, actions and controls in the game are probably the same.

AA will be a "cheaper" version of vbs1 i pressume since u can

clearly identify most of the models as vbs1 models

(head/hands, ah6 littelbirds, hk etc etc)

this means that the enige is indeed improved

im not sure wot "addons" vbs1 uses will be in AA

there i cant say anythign about hte dynamic destructable buildings

but still woudl be cool to see for those who dont have vbs1

and no there wont be any VBS2

vbs1 is by now ofp version 2.04

(vbs1 started with ofp version 1.97 and was 1.99 on release)

AA will be a "cheaper" version of vbs1 i pressume since u can

clearly identify most of the models as vbs1 models

(head/hands, ah6 littelbirds, hk etc etc)

this means that the enige is indeed improved

im not sure wot "addons" vbs1 uses will be in AA

there i cant say anythign about hte dynamic destructable buildings

but still woudl be cool to see for those who dont have vbs1

and no there wont be any VBS2

vbs1 is by now ofp version 2.04

(vbs1 started with ofp version 1.97 and was 1.99 on release)

So this means VBS1 supports JIP and 100 sq km maps? But i like OPF sp and having a new oficial campaign will be cool, plus im sure alot more will be playing MP and there will be alot more servers up plus there wont be so many version mismatches due to all the module packs.

Its a bit shame BIS wont make a total replacement of the old dated looking vehicals, i think this would greatly increase its value but its still good, i cant wait to see how improved colision detection is and how much better it runs smile_o.gif .

No, no JIP yet - remember: VBS1 is not a game. That's the reason why some features are not included that gamers would expect to be added first. On the other hand it get's supported with regular free updates (two further updates have already been anounced for the next few months). I'm sure most engine improvements from ARAS will eventualy find their way into VBS1 without the need to release a VBS2. That's what you pay about 600 US$ (with all addons packs included) for instead of just 50 US$.

VBS1 is no uber-OFP - but ARAS will.

On the other hand it get's supported with regular free updates (two further updates have already been anounced for the next few months). I'm sure most engine improvements from ARAS will eventualy find their way into VBS1 without the need to release a VBS2.

Uh! I was expecting it to be the other way around, engine improvements from VBS coming to ARAS rock.gif I thought VBS took advantage of code optimisations achieved while making OPF run on xbox's low end system specs.

smooth as silk graphics would be lovely. rock solid netcode (tho OFP netcode is better than many other gaes out there already). weapons that very closely replicate Real life handling. VSB level animation (damn they look good in latest patch, share the love). walls that you cant glitch through. much improved vegetation that AI cant see through. mentioned this already but ... weapon ballastics based on the weapon itself and not just the magazine type.

must admit i am insanely looking forward to this release. will buy 2 copies for LAN purposes. when do pre-orders start?

most of all i want ASAR out tomorrow. lol.

On the other hand it get's supported with regular free updates (two further updates have already been anounced for the next few months). I'm sure most engine improvements from ARAS will eventualy find their way into VBS1 without the need to release a VBS2.

Uh! I was expecting it to be the other way around, engine improvements from VBS coming to ARAS rock.gif I thought VBS took advantage of code optimisations achieved while making OPF run on xbox's low end system specs.

It does - but not as much as you people make it sound. The features announced for ARAS and OFP XBox are much more advanced than what VBS1 is offering.

Remember: it's only a small team working on VBS1 and military customers have other demands than gamers, so the priorities are less on gfx or game features (like JIP, etc.), and more on training features like the Observer module, etc. We'll get the ability to lean (with proper key bindings), destructible buildings and the ability to shoot from vehicles soon (although the latter looked mighty scripted in the video), tho.

Well, leaning is not very realistic, i mean you can lean to peak or maybe shoot some supressive bursts but i dont think you can shoot acuratly in that stance, anyway im glad i didnt purchase vbs, i know i would still like it but ARAS will be more usefull for me, the movies still make me drool though, VBS1 content looks absolutely amazing smile_o.gif .

(Edit: Revised question since Suma answered the timing part in another thread.)

When the stars and planets align, and the release gets closer, and some info is forthcoming, these are some of the questions I have to the devs about the improved engine:

-Will it fix the ~70m^2 GeoLOD issues?

-Will it clean up the collisions around destroyed buildings?

-Will it allow tank class vehicles to leave the ground (i.e. spawn +Z onto a ship)?

-Does the mission editor have scalable images or something better to get WYSIWYG function (ease of positioning objects)?

-Will the Mission editor have a built in script editor? (please please)

-Does it allow for a more realistic altitude in flight?

Any news is welcomed, as I'm going thru a phase of post-E3 information deprivation.  sad_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Thanks!

Not very relevant but if they are replacing the vegetation will the xmas trees still be in there? wink_o.gif .

One thing that bothers me is resistance foliage, pretty at close but the lods flicker like crazy over distance producing a really bad efect compared to the low rez trees of the old islands, i hope this will be improved has it really is anoying to see forests and trees flicker all the time, plus i really hope we will still have bushes to hide ala CWC style, res vegetation was not so good in this aspect. I think i like the original islands so much that im scared about what possible changes might bring sad_o.gif ..

Well i might say that bis team is keeping a lot of info for themselves rock.gif  .Like i said in another topic ,more info on engine modifications ...(like dinamic building destruction,multiple firing pos on vehicules or wathever modification it got )would be nice. and maybe a couples of more pics? Pls.Making a little more noise about your game (aras)wouldn't be bad,im working hard to convince my friends to become ofp (aras)fans .With games like bf2 coming and them never heard of ofp before , its hard work for me.... wow_o.gif

P.s Placebo im sure your an occupied man smile_o.gif ,but answering this thread even if its (we not divulgating more stuff on purpose we dont want too much publicity for aras right now until we get a publisher)would be nice  wink_o.gif it would get the (bis is not good at making publicity for its game) idea out of my head . crazy_o.gif  

I hope the new engine will allow multiplegunner positions on vehicles, gunner positions on fixed wing aircraft and such. I think this would increase the playability a great deal and wouldallow for increase in the fun factor over the net.

Quote[/b] ]engine modifications ...(like dinamic building destruction)
i thinkThis would add a lot more fun to the game

Actually I would like to ssee collision dectection improved. Now when you hide in a bunker and a grenade explodes in front of the building you'll die like there was no bunker. smile_o.gif

yeeeees smile_o.gif

Something that has also bugging me.. you either hit something, or you dont.

if you could have object penetration this would be sooo awesome (but require ALLOT of work to implement on Bis units). meing able to fire at the back of a M113 and hit the troops inside... biggrin_o.gif

functions like multiple turrets will be possibel in vbs1 with the new AFM module

so im sure it will be in AA aswell

hint ! hint !

collisions are not that bad in ofp, IF people would consider fixing the convexity errors in geo lods... but well, most people assume that when binarizations give errors it's just for fun.

One realistic improvement/fix in AA engine would be that it ceases using main visual lod of the player's unit for the pilot/gunner/cargo views in vehicles (thinking of occluding bincoculars, hats, even if there's workarounds).

edit: typo

will mods made for flashpoint work in this OFP 1.5 powered game?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anybody found out, or announced if OFP files will be compatible with Armed Assault?

I mainly mean .PBO files in specific