Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

WWIIEC : Caen 1944

The fact that your mod is still alive is the main reason I visit OFP forums almost every day. Nice to hear there's some progres. And I was thinking... icon_rolleyes.gif would it be possible to see some kind of preview movie uploaded to youtube or something showing your new animation system? From what I saw this is one of the most innovative and groundbreaking improvements of OFP.

Offcourse I'll understand if you would like to keep it misterious till the release date.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

thx both smile_o.gif

@Lecholas. yes, maybe Sengir could make a preview of his anims. For the moment, all the people is in holidays, so maybe later. smile_o.gif

@Dante

The buildings look sweet, it will be surely great to have a battle in streets made from your houses.

@Lecholas

Allrighty, seems like I have to finish the trailer I have been working on since the spring, lol. I was lazy to finish the last sequence showing the deaths... OK, I will finish the 1st trailer in a week or so. whistle.gif

Ok after finishing Caen, will you mame US forces? smile_o.gif

I saw some nice new US weapons and Harley motoczcle but that was really loooong ago sad_o.gif

hum! personally i don't know. the harley will be maybe in the caen addons pack. for the future, this is the same thing, i don't know. personally (again), i'm not interested for the moment by arma (too much boring).

sorry,i feel myself useless tounge2.gif

btw, the US soldier is a personal project into the ww2ec team. wink_o.gif

a street in normandy:

strfb7.th.jpg

str1kj0.th.jpg

pictures not rendered. this is just the working area (not sure for this word) in wings 3d.

smile_o.gif

Very nice work on that street, D@nte, maybe you should get in touch with Linker Split who makes a lot of work on WWII Normandy street objects and houses, but who never released them. They were very nice and detailed.

Very nice work on that street, D@nte, maybe you should get in touch with Linker Split who makes a lot of work on WWII Normandy street objects and houses, but who never released them. They were very nice and detailed.

thx; yeah, i know but i don't like to use stuff from other games smile_o.gifwink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]thx; yeah, i know but i don't like to use stuff from other games

t'ow, i didn't know...

Anyway, if he's got permission to use them, it may save time...  confused_o.gif

yeah, but i prefer to make all the needed stuff by myself. and the addons are from COD. and i don't think that he has the permission to use them wink_o.gif

wow D@nte nice Work

im keeping ofp in my computer

because i want to play this mod

Nice screens

yeah, but i prefer to make all the needed stuff by myself. and the addons are from COD. and i don't think that he has the permission to use them wink_o.gif

well, you can use models, since they are my own work... confused_o.gif only textures were taken from the game CoD, and i dont' want to start a flame war because lotta addons has been imported into OFP form ages. I was not the only one anyway tounge2.gif

Bloody hell, I had no idea this was still being worked on wow_o.gif

Cannot wait, I'll definatley be reinstalling ofp for this work of art notworthy.gif

well, you can use models, since they are my own work... confused_o.gif only textures were taken from the game CoD, and i dont' want to start a flame war because lotta addons has been imported into OFP form ages. I was not the only one anyway tounge2.gif

oups, sorry i though that the models were also from COD goodnight.gif

tounge2.gifwink_o.gif

has this been givin up on then? Screens from a while ago show pretty much complete units , dont just give up make a beta release!!

dont worry, its not been given up, its just that work is really really slow at the moment... plus i've been working exclusively on config and scripts for ages now, which is why i havent posted any screenshots in ages - nothing interesting to show at the moment...

cheers,

Fab

Ok it's about time i posted some real news. well like i said before, code and scripting doesnt makes for much screenshots to show. And you might be wondering why it's taking so much time, and this is the reason:

i've been coding lots and lots of anims... In fact so many anims that i've recoded the entire cfgmoves section from scratch. This isnt replacing a few anims here and there we're talking about, it's actually entirely redesigning the animation system, at least as far as the engine allows it. Of course i'm not inventing code instructions that arent there, but what i'm doing is adding a lot more "states" (for example : "rifle in hands", "handgun in hands", "rifle in back", "launcher in hands) than what was in the original config. And adding all that makes for a lot of anim files. so far, 800 coded, roughly 200 more to go, cargo anims not included (these are easy cake). To give you something a comparison, resistance has about 3-400 anims for the soldiers if you dont count the cargo anims.

So here's a presentation of the new states :

CivilState_small.jpg PistolState_small.jpg

RifleState_small.jpg RifleSafeState_small.jpg

(continues next post)

(continues from previous post)

RiflePistolState_small.jpg ATState_small.jpg

ATSafeState_small.jpg ATPistolState_small.jpg

And this is not just a handful of anims just for show we have here. For each of these anims in the screenshots there is a full set of transitions to go from different Stances (Stand, Crouch and Lying), running, running aiming, sprinting, walking, reloading, binocular, dying and so on...

(credit goes to sengir for the vast majority of the anims - all made from scratch...)

Why so many basic states ? basically to enhance the gameplay. Personally i was tired of having to wait for all the weapons to be put in the back before i could use the pistol, or the way it was painful to move around with the AT launcher in hands... so having all these states fixes that. Or the way somehow Civilians and soldiers armed only with handguns could not crouch or run as fast as a regularly equiped soldier.

on top of that add the usual leaning anims, lots of different death variants, different variants for running with rifle or rifle safe / AI relax mode, etc...

So that's a lot of work. But thankfully I've been at it for so long that i'm almost done with it now. Last night i fixed an annoying "bug" (well its not really a bug) that was in the original game. For example if you had rifle in hands and climbed a ladder, you would go back to rifle in back when getting off the ladder, no matter what. that used to annoy the hell out of me so by makign the anims go through a dedicated class for each state, now you go back to the state you were from when get off the ladder. For example getting on the ladder from "AT Pistol" will go back to "AT Pistol" when getting off the ladder. Lots and lots of other fixes like this.

Anyway gotta go back to work at it, so will post more later...

cheers

Fab

PS: oh yeah and in case you're wondernig, it works well ingame. I wouldnt have started such a big project a while back if i hadnt tested it first hehe. And no the does not mean we can have one anim class per weapon (well not without scripts anyway, and that would be x times more anims...)

Fab, that is awesome news! It is really good to hear about the progress you've made with the custom animations, and impressive to see just how much effort you put into it, especially from scratch!

I think that this is one of the finest things done by a mod in a really long time, I'd never think to see such a smooth and thorough set of animations for in game. Good job!

@belegerot: thanks... but yeah its not just me, its also Sengir doing a thousand or so anims. without his work we would never have managed to do the whole thing biggrin_o.gif

Also the cool thing with this is it works really great on other models too. I havent played the original BIS units in ages and the other day while coming out of the editor i saw the old malden intro with BIS soldiers using our anims... they looked pretty neat, not as deformed as they do with the original anims... same applies for any other mod's models really, unless they are radically different from ours or BIS'.

Sounds really impressive Fab, good job thumbs-up.gif

Fab, Sengir, what JdB and Belgerot said. Exceptionally impressive work, the combination of new animations and stunning models and textures will make this mod for OFP look like a whole 'nother game.

OMG

Impressive ! Revolution ! Marvellous ! Can't find words for this !!!! OFP is still waiting for this holy Grail of all mods ! notworthy.gif

BTW : So, I heard that you are planning new animation system right ? It will be something like current Liberation MOD ? For example badly injured soldier will play "Injured" animation etc. ?