Sign in to follow this  
Fab.

WWIIEC : Caen 1944

ok, thank you for answerand good luck with finishing the MOD notworthy.gif

And.....erm.....what about demo?Ok just kidding, what about new video?

BTW:I was at your forums, but lot of pics by Sengir Vampire are gone, is there any chance to find them again?

Yeah somehow we lost quite a few attachements during some forum maintenance a while back. i dont think i have a copy (i dont even know what the missing ones looked like) but i bet sengir does.

To be honest i dont personally like to spend so much time making ingame screenshots and videos, as it takes time that is better spent on finishing the mod... (thats why i show mostly o2 screenshots and a few ingame screenshot when i test new stuff ingame)

Although you might get a little video showing animation work by sengir at some point...

As for a demo, well in terms of quantity, the first release can be considered like a demo - at first we called it a demo - but since it's going to be the same quality as the full package (vegetation, island, animations, small campaign, infantry and soft vehicles) we want to release, it's more going to be like a basic package with several patches adding more content every time rather than a demo being replaced by a full mod later on.

We wont release separate "demo" addon pack for Caen either (like for example, a soldier pack or a vehicle here and there), because in the end its not worth it without missions etc... and it doesnt make justice to the full conversion that we want to release.

Thanks for your interest in the mod,

Fab.

Fab: I've said it before but I think you've got a damned good plan for your release there.

I know that with basic vehicles and a handful of fixed weapons and a mostly detailed Infantry and Weapons package, it will be possible to create missions that showcase OFP's capability and the Caen '44 content easily. Again, my thanks.

I will now return to plotting out missions on Anjou Island, since I haven't had much of a look at your island yet. I suspect many of the mission concepts will translate to the Caen '44 island pretty easily.

thanks for your support

I finally have something to show.. That's something i started a long time ago, then dropped off for a couple of years and its about time i got it finished. So i reworked the wood textures and mapping, merged textures, did the lods, removed useless faces, replaced a few bits here and there...

So now that k98 is finally fully finished. old model was by Vibes, reworked by me.

k98new5.jpg

Hope you like it. my old texture was too red so i changed i desaturated it a little and changed the colour a bit (well in the end all kars are different colours in RL but this one is much nicer i think...)

cheers

Fab

If that had "7.62x51mm" stamped on the reciever just forward of the bolt, I'd swear it was a picture-perfect replica of the Yugoslavian Mauser I handled so long ago back in my hometown. Gorgeous.

Do you happen to have a quick list of Infantry weapons you're planning on-hand?

And I heard something about paratroopers(1. page of this topic)?

well at some point down the line we were thinking a british paratrooper based demo would be a good idea since it didnt require much vehicles (at the time we didnt have as many as we have now), but i didnt get a chance to spend much time developing para infantry so we pretty much dropped the idea a while back. After reviewing the progress of the mod, they got dropped to 2nd or 3rd release instead as they would required making a denison smock, para helmet and other minor equipment + the basic british equipment (and also the horsa glider to be finished). So its better for now to focus only on the basic equipment to finish the infantry, then later on do the denison smock and finish off that para helmet.

as for weapons here are the ones that are in top priority for a first release :

Enfield No2mkI

Walther P38

mp40

Sten Mk II

k98

k98 / bayonet

k98 / grenade launcher

k98 zf39

G43

G43 zf4

STG44

SMLE No4

SMLE No4 Bayonet

SMLE No4 (T) (scope)

MG34

MG42

MG34/42 tripod

Bren

Bren+tripod

panzerfaust 30

panzershreck

PIAT

British 2inch mortar

British 3inch mortar

German 81mm mortar

Stielgranate 24

No 36 Mills frag. Grenade

No 82 Gammon grenade

Tellermine 42

hawkinds mine

This has been selected as first priority for now according to how common it was, how advanced the model is and how popular the weapon is (for example the stg44 was fairly rare, but its still a very popular weapon to most players and the model is at a fairly advanced stage). We do have other weapons either at a less advanced stage, or which would add only more variety while requiring work to be fully finished (like some handguns etc...)

So this isnt a definite list, depending on how it goes things might be added or removed but this is what we are focusing on finishing now...

cheers

Fab

Might be considered nitpicking, but you wrote "STG44", while the assaultrifle only received this designation at the end of July 1944 after having been renamed to "MP44" in April of 1944.

The subject of the mod falls right in the middle, with the battle of Caen lasting from June 6th to August 8th 1944... confused_o.gif

Still, "STG44" is the most well known name, and changing a configname in the middle of the campaign is not really worth the effort tounge2.gif

List of Weapons

Heh....I saw at one picture your unfinished Thompson.And MP41?

And...erm what about Webley pistol?(Sry dont know correct name)

notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  thumbs-up.gif

there's not plan for a Webley revolver, even though it was still used in wwII due to the shortage of standard weapons, we already have an enfield No2 mk I in w.i.p which was the standard revolver anyway. We could have made a giant list of weapons we would like to release... like MG13, MG15, mp28, mp34, mp41, gewer 41, FG42 type I and II, all sten and bren marks, some czech captured MGs, a load of german/british/captured pistols and so on... and that would have been totally unachievable, we would just endup having a thousand half finished models and ending up releasing nothing...

As for the thompson, like all US weapons (this was a US one, and M1A1) they will only be finished and released for an eventual US pack update: in fact the plan is to add a patch to Caen at some point, with new US infantry, new US weapons and updated vehicles + missions. But this is for the future, it might even endup being for Arma only. There was a plan for a M1928 but since it wasnt as common as a Sten in british use, this has been postdoned to later patches too.

Like i said we are only working at fully finishing essential british and german addons for the first release, anything else will have to wait for later patches.

As for the MP44 vs Stg44 thing, this is a list a weapons i wrote, nothing to do with whats in the config - its actually called MP44 in the stringtable smile_o.gif

cheers

Fab

BTW:You was talked about US Soldiers.Are you mentioned this?

I think that was made by Dante who wanted to test his texture skills on some old US model i made to try and see if our new infantry model would be fit for US troops.

There's been a lot of improvements in the infantry models ever since and i will most likely transform the latest german infantry into a US soldier... and definitly redo the equipment, this one was using way outdated equipment from our old US pack and the lods, mapping and textures are far from the current british and german infantry in terms of quality/performance. But all that will be in the distant future anyway

Some stuff like the helmet scrims, net etc.. can (and are already) set as random selections, all i have to do is set the ratios for each type and since you've done the leg work there i might as well use the ratios you have.

Yeah, dredging this up from Page 28, but it seems that after the landings on June 6, the proportion of helmet scrim and net went up hugely, and was sometimes nearly an "excessive" thing. May be safer to have nearly every Mk. III netted, and a good 75% of those scrimmed as well. Having a hard time finding images of unscrimmed and/or un-netted helmets post D-Day.

M1/M1A1 Thompson was pretty popular with Commonwealth troops, when they could get one, which was not often unless they were CDO (Commando). So if/when those American-kit additions to Caen '44 are released, perhaps a small patch to include a handful of fellows toting Thompsons for the Commonwealth end of things. The Thompson wasn't commonly found amongst the Commonwealth units on D-Day, I have yet to see one, but it seems that in Northern Europe it was fairly common, to the point that one could almost opt between a Sten (Mk.II, most commonly) or a Thompson.

M1/M1A1 Thompson was pretty popular with Commonwealth troops, when they could get one.......

Totally agreed xmas_o.gif

Quick note regarding Commonwealth battle equipment;

I recall a conversation about how closely you should mimic H&D-2 and you mentioning that the general-purpose pouches, the large ones we all know as being stereotypical of Commonwealth units, would be standard for pretty well everyone. That would be confirmed by what I'm seeing in pictures and reading in memoirs and the like. Snipers favoured the small leather ammunition pouches that clipped to your belt over the large pouches, and were much sought after.

The GP pouches were used by everyone else though, but riflemen often carried bandoliers of ammunition, slung across the torso. H&D-2 provided an example of that, but sometimes two or even three were carried. This seems to be common only to a handful of riflemen though, if I were forced to give a percentage I'd say perhaps 15%.

thx dude, i work actually on a dovecote and different cottages. i mean one model and different skins for the cottage.

smile_o.gif

dntcolnk8.th.jpg

the dovecote is finished.

we have more buildings now, which would fit with the FAB's environmental addons. smile_o.gif