Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Guest RKSL-Rock
Gnat @ Nov. 13 2005,03:18)]ooooohhhh COOL TIP .... Thanks Hardrock smile_o.gif

Cheers that is good! The transparency thing had been buggin me for ages. Thanks! notworthy.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

Quick progress update:

RKSL-PR-GR7_10.jpg

RKSL-PR-GR7_11.jpg

RKSL-PR-GR7_12.jpg

RKSL-PR-GR7_13.jpg

As you can see its only part textured, but its coming along quite nicely.  Just the cockpit to go and a few scripts...

Guest RKSL-Rock
Bloody hell... you've definitely gotten better at texturing mate.

Thanks smile_o.gif

Before anyone points out missing bits and the yellow markers etc ...I know all about them smile_o.gif  

The yellow bits are "placement helpers" where the APU vents are located.  It makes it easier to locate the textures.  Also bit of the out riggers are missing etc but they will be in place for release.

It's just JP-8 licking good, that's all I can think of to describe it.

Pity there aren't well enough modelled pilots in OFP yet.  Yes the one's new are better than BIS pilots but still a long way to go.  Laser's helo pilot pack has come fairly close but that dealt with the people stuck with ferrying and rescuing arrogant flyboys.

Anyways, wish lots of progress and thanks.

Later,

Havoc.

Pity there aren't well enough modelled pilots in OFP yet.  Yes the one's new are better than BIS pilots but still a long way to go.  Laser's helo pilot pack has come fairly close but that dealt with the people stuck with ferrying and rescuing arrogant flyboys.

Have you tried IkĺR's F-14 Tomcat? That came with some very impressive pilots I thought. They don't really pass for RAF pilots though.

oooh man the harrier look really cool!

have you used blueprints in modelling it, cuz the nose seems a bit too sharp but its only really little thingy... cannot wait to see in dark green colour!

i live 20 km from old RAF Laarbruch where no 3 and 4 sqn where stationed I loved going there to watch harriers. Finally somebody is making a nice GR-7!

edit

This addon, and the hangar net, some trees and a road. yay.gif

Looks great mate, only a few lighting problems on the cockpit but other than that it looks great!smile_o.gif

Wildo

Guest RKSL-Rock
have you used blueprints in modelling it, cuz the nose seems a bit too sharp but its only really little thingy... cannot wait to see in dark green colour!

The nose is exactly to scale. I used a Hasegawa 1:48 GR7 Kit for the basic plans with the details from a BAE Systems Harrier GA reference guide.

If you are refereing to the 3rd shot you have to remember its a perspective view - things will look a bit stretched.

The Nato Green schemes have been dropped from RAF use now and only the Grey scheme is in use. But I will be adding the earlier scheme as an option.

Guest major gandhi

really nice plane. Which arms will it carry and in which combinations?

Guest RKSL-Rock
really nice plane. Which arms will it carry and in which combinations?

All the standard loadouts:

(All loadouts include 2x Sidewinder/ASRAAM)

4x BL.755, 2x ADEN 30mm Cannon (as pictured)

2x BL.755, 2x Paveway III, 1x TIALD pod

4x Paveway II, 1x TIALD pod

4x Maverick, 2x ADEN 30mm Cannon

2x Maverick, 2x StormShadow,  2x ADEN 30mm Cannon,

4x CRV-7 Pods,  2x ADEN 30mm Cannon

5x 1000lb GP Bombs,  2x ADEN 30mm Cannon

2x CRV-7 Pods, 3x Paveway II, 1x TIALD Pod

12x Brimstone,  2x ADEN 30mm Cannon (GR9 Version only)

6x Brimstone, 2x CRV-7 (GR9 Version only).

If you want to know about the weapons mentioned see here - RAF Website

One note about the ADEN Cannons:  Some websites list the Harrier GR7 as having either no guns or the ADEN 25 cannons.  This is now wrong.  When the GR5 was introduced the ADEN 30mm cannons were deleted in favour of a newer more lightweight design the ADEN 25.  Unfortunately this turned out to be a mistake as the 25 failed on pretty much every aspect of its promised spec.  For about 6months the GR5 Harriers were not fitted with Cannons and instead the USMC style lateral strakes were fitted.   Shortly after the older ADEN 30's were adapted (small change in mountings) and fitted to the GR5 and the GR7 once the upgrades were carried out.

The gunpods are usually removed when carrying LGBs and replaced with 1 lateral strake and a TIALD pod for targeting and designation.  Although when a 3rd party designation system is available it is possible for them to fly with the gunpods fitted and carry LGBs.

As you can see its only part textured, but its coming along quite nicely. Just the cockpit to go and a few scripts...

Like the FLK scripts?

Looking fantastic, the only CAS aircraft needed in OFP when you think about it.

Brilliant work......

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
As you can see its only part textured, but its coming along quite nicely.  Just the cockpit to go and a few scripts...

Like the FLK scripts?

I wasn’t planning on using them.  I know Klink has a new VTOL system but I haven’t asked to use it as UNN has expressed and interest in producing some new ones but no promises.  But so far I’m going to stick with the original plan and only include a STOL script.

Brilliant work......

notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

Believe it or not the RAF use Paveway II to support CAS missions as a “show of force†so they will all be used.  The other armaments are all related to the Harrier's front line roles of Anti Armour, SEAD (using LGB and BL755), CAS and combat recon.  Besides if we follow your statement we wouldn’t even have half the aircraft in OFP that we do have.

On a final note can people please stop commenting on the canopy lighting,  that was covered on page 20 with Hardrock posting a solution.  The reason I haven’t fixed it is really simple…I haven’t got around to it just yet.

Thanks

Rock

the model and texture look very nice m8 great job! Some constructive criticism:

- while looking at the screenshots i had the feeling that something was not exactly right and i think its either the cockpit window being abit too large or the whole thing abit out of scale but really the pilot looks a tiny bit too small in there.

Otherwise GJ!

Guest RKSL-Rock
- while looking at the screenshots i had the feeling that something was not exactly right and i think its either the cockpit window being abit too large or the whole thing abit out of scale but really the pilot looks a tiny bit too small in there.

Otherwise GJ!

Thats OFP's scale issue showing.  If you havent already noticed the units are 2m tall.  The model is scaled using the community convention of 1 O2 grid square are 1m.  If you look at other aircraft, tanks etc ingame already, they all have the same problem too.

But so far I’m going to stick with the original plan and only include a STOL script.

Sounds reasonable, since Harrier can only take off vertically with limited stores and/or fuel. Vertical landing on the other hand... confused_o.gif

Otherwise GJ!

Thats OFP's scale issue showing.  If you havent already noticed the units are 2m tall.  The model is scaled using the community convention of 1 O2 grid square are 1m.  If you look at other aircraft, tanks etc ingame already, they all have the same problem too.

point taken. carry on.

But so far I’m going to stick with the original plan and only include a STOL script.

Sounds reasonable, since Harrier can only take off vertically with limited stores and/or fuel. Vertical landing on the other hand... confused_o.gif

from what i recall, im sure rocksofl has done his research as always, they generallyu can't take off fully laden due to the cooling system on the engines not being able to take the stress? Or was it just the amount of fuel they used doing it.

looking great fella, god knows i've been dying to see an update to the origonally great FLK beta

smile_o.gif

I think my post has been misunderstood!

What I mean't was that the harrier as an aircraft is probably the most suitable aircraft for OFP, being of a Subsonic type, it suits the map sizes of OFP more than say a supersonic aircraft would......

As for the armaments bring em all on, its a good range of types...

Sorry for the misunderstanding, no disrespect was mean't.....

Guest RKSL-Rock
from what i recall, im sure rocksofl has done his research as always, they generallyu can't take off fully laden due to the cooling system on the engines not being able to take the stress? Or was it just the amount of fuel they used doing it.

looking great fella, god knows i've been dying to see an update to the origonally great FLK beta

smile_o.gif

Yup that’s about it.

While the Harrier can take off vertically to do it and transition safely would limit the max take off weight to ~8142Kg(VTOL).  Where as a STOL max take off weight is ~14061kg.  That means you could have the fuel but no weapons, or no fuel and weapons, so it would be kind of pointless really.

On a technical note as Messiah said the engine cooling isn't capable of handling that much excess heat or stress. And the airframe life cycle may be reduced with all the unsupported (from airflow generated lift) wing loading

In practice the only people that operate the Harrier in VTOL as an operational role are the Royal Navy (and RAF as part of the Combined Harrier force) and the USMC where landing is always VTOL.  The RAF's land based operations are almost exclusively STOL landings as this is cheaper on fuels and causes less stress on the airframes.

As for updating the FLK VTOL.  Klink has already said he has a new system for the FLK Harriers (FRS1 & GR3) so its already on out there but if UNN can come up with an alternative system then we can have some options.

Personally I’m hoping to get VTOL to work how it should in real life, having to balance the thrust of your engine vs. gravity and momentum but I think with OFP engine limitations it might be tricky.  I’m hoping the ArmA with its V-22 and F-35 VTOl has already been addressed properly.  But until then at the very least you’ll have STOL on this release.