Sign in to follow this  
Guest RKSL-Rock

RKSL Studios

Guest major gandhi

looking nice smile_o.gif

These projects caught my attention, especially the Tornados since the G8 ones are getting quite old.

I'm gonna have to question the need for an RAF Eurofighter... I thought this was covered by Hardrock (although his release has been continuously postponed).

I'd also like to request some features for the Tornados (and other aircraft for that matter):

-HUD: Assuming these versions will incorporate a working HUD, I suggest you make the horizon ball big enough for the pitch lines to coincide with the horizon. Might take a lot of trial and error, but the results speak for themselves! Take a look at the French Jaguars and you see what I mean.

-Try not to clutter the action menu with too many items! Things such as countermeasures release and canopy opening should be automatic and for afterburner you could follow the example of the Spetsnaz's SU-27 and bind the afterburner effect with "fast forward" key.

-Nosewheel steering: Idreally the plane's turning radius should be less than the aircraft's wingspan.

-Afterburner: Most aicraft addonmakers tend to exagerate the effectiveness of their afterburners. Please don't make this mistake! Continuous climbing straight up even in full afterburner should eventually result in a stall.

Good luck with your projects! thumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
These projects caught my attention, especially the Tornados since the G8 ones are getting quite old.

I can assure you mine are quite different and incorporate alot of new features, as well as some of the better more established ones.

I'm gonna have to question the need for an RAF Eurofighter... I thought this was covered by Hardrock (although his release has been continuously postponed).

Well from what I’ve seen of Hardrock’s (Which is no more than anyone else) there are some features that I wanted that his will/may not have. Aside from that just because someone else is making one won’t ever stop me from making anything I want to, and especially (no disrespect to Hardrock) since its apparently not moving at the minute why not? We have 3000+ M4’s I don’t see why 2 Eurofighters can’t exist in the same community.

I'd also like to request some features for the Tornados (and other aircraft for that matter):

-HUD: Assuming these versions will incorporate a working HUD, I suggest you make the horizon ball big enough for the pitch lines to coincide with the horizon. Might take a lot of trial and error, but the results speak for themselves! Take a look at the French Jaguars and you see what I mean.

-Try not to clutter the action menu with too many items! Things such as countermeasures release and canopy opening should be automatic and for afterburner you could follow the example of the Spetsnaz's SU-27 and bind the afterburner effect with "fast forward" key.

-Nosewheel steering: Idreally the plane's turning radius should be less than the aircraft's wingspan.

-Afterburner: Most aicraft addonmakers tend to exagerate the effectiveness of their afterburners. Please don't make this mistake! Continuous climbing straight up even in full afterburner should eventually result in a stall.

Good luck with your projects! thumbs-up.gif

You really haven’t read any of the previous threads properly have you? You aren’t asking for anything that wasn’t asked for an incorporated 6 months+ ago smile_o.gif The features were on the RKSL site prior to the rebuild for about 2 months smile_o.gif and on some of the news sites.

Re the nose wheel: All the RKSL aircraft will be able to taxi around airfields properly. There are 2 exceptions to this but that because of the size vs the tight corners on the standard taxiway textures.

Just to recap here’s the updated feature list that covers most of the aircraft in the list - note not all these features will be on all the aircraft for obvious reasons:

- Realistic HUD

--- Digital Speed and Altimeter

--- ASI & ALT 'Tapes'

--- Properly aligned climb ladder

- Realistic Cockpits

- Spetznatz Style After Burner

- Airbrakes

- Thrust Reversers

- Animated nose wheel steering

- Airbrakes

- Auto Chaff & Flares

- Audio Warnings

-- System damage

-- Altitude

-- Speed

- Damage and fire scripts

- Threat Warning (Planned but dependant on scripting - so no promises)

There are other features but most depend on the specifics of the aircraft.

Sorry... I've been away for a while, and I have a lot of catching up to do in the forums, so I just quickly browsed through the thread (stopping for a minute to admire the pictures wink_o.gif).

Hardrock doesn't seem to be releasing his Eurofighter anytime soon, but I doubt he's going to cancel it or anything. It's far to near completion! Anyway... that definately shouldn't stop you from making an Eurofighter, but maybe move the priority a bit to something like... idunno... Harrier Gr.7/9? Good point about the world of M4s out there, but an aircraft addon is something a bit bigger.

My point is that if you decide to make an aircraft addon, it's so big a project that it needs to be made just right! The reason there are no high-quality F-16s out there is because there are so many low-quality ones. (No offence to Footmunch and Vit)

Quote[/b] ]- Realistic HUD

--- Digital Speed and Altimeter

--- ASI & ALT 'Tapes'

--- Properly aligned climb ladder

Excellent! Will the airspeed be considered as knots or Kph?

Quote[/b] ]

- Airbrakes

Are they automatic, or do they have to be accessed by action menu?

Quote[/b] ]

- Animated nose wheel steering

Ah! Another good feature learned from the French Jaguar wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]- Threat Warning (Planned but dependant on scripting - so no promises)

If implemented, Could it be possible to use the same kind of RWR display feature as in the DKM's Mi-28, where you can check which direction the incoming missile is coming from from the RWR display?

Overall I'm pretty convinced this will be good! biggrin_o.gif

Don't forget to give the ASRAAMs a good off-boresight lock-on capability and agility! smile_o.gif

Great to see all those British projects nearing completion! I would love to get a few more British (especially RAF) units into my campaign, so keep up the great work RockofSL! notworthy.gifthumbs-up.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock

My point is that if you decide to make an aircraft addon, it's so big a project that it needs to be made just right! The reason there are no high-quality F-16s out there is because there are so many low-quality ones. (No offence to Footmunch and Vit)

I wont be compromising quality on anything, trust me. If you are concerned about quality and people doing it right why dont you make your own?

KPH I don’t see the point in running a calculation script that will add lag to the game.

Are they automatic, or do they have to be accessed by action menu?

Dependant on the aircraft really.  Some will be ‘menu’ others will be automatic.

Ah! Another good feature learned from the French Jaguar wink_o.gif

I was under the impression it was the AiA guys that did it first.  That’s where I got the method from.  Same with the HUD.

If implemented, Could it be possible to use the same kind of RWR display feature as in the DKM's Mi-28, where you can check which direction the incoming missile is coming from from the RWR display?

If we can’t do it our way then I already have an agreement with DKM & Jaguar to adapt their scripts if necessary.  A lot depends on another SAM project we’re working on.

Don't forget to give the ASRAAMs a good off-boresight lock-on capability and agility! smile_o.gif

Way ahead of you.

Quote[/b] ]I wont be compromising quality on anything, trust me. If you are concerned about quality and people doing it right why dont you make your own?

I actually did plan to make my own F-16, but the amount of work was just daunting. Not to mention I have zero modding experience. If I ever get into modding, A decent F-16 will be my first project.

Quote[/b] ]

KPH I don’t see the point in running a calculation script that will add lag to the game.

What I meant to say was that if you're going to use absolute values, or will the speeds be 'scale-shifted' to better fit the OFP world for gameplay issues. For example, if an aircraft's stall speed would be 100 kts(~180Km/h) in real life it would be 100Km/h in the OFP world. Same kind of 'scale-shift' should apply to radar and missile ranges and velocities as well... IMHO

Oh! by the way.. Red or orange gun round tracers instead of bright yellow helps in air-to-air gunnery in broad daylight.

Guest RKSL-Rock
What I meant to say was that if you're going to use absolute values, or will the speeds be 'scale-shifted' to better fit the OFP world for gameplay issues. For example, if an aircraft's stall speed would be 100 kts(~180Km/h) in real life it would be 100Km/h in the OFP world. Same kind of 'scale-shift' should apply to radar and missile ranges and velocities as well... IMHO

All the values are down shifted to suit the community's average values/speeds used in the most popular stuff.

Woow allot of new features on the Tornado's! Thats really nice all the new gadgets... The sound of the excisting tornado is well done luckily so that will be used? Or have you got your own sounds? Cuz Tornados make a hell of a noise when taking off! thumbs-up.gif

How about the sqn markings and such, will those be editable?

Guest RKSL-Rock
The sound of the excisting tornado is well done luckily so that will be used? Or have you got your own sounds? Cuz Tornados make a hell of a noise when taking off!  thumbs-up.gif

How about the sqn markings and such, will those be editable?

Well i have some really nice Tornado samples courtesy of a firend in the RAF media relations office, so I will be using completely new ones.

With regards to Squadron Markings, etc:

I think ive mentioned this earlier on in a few places but just to clarify here.  I will be adding several hidden selections that should allow for most combinations of RAF Squadron markings to be used. I already have the crests, insignia etc for all the fornt line squadrons so its only a matter of converting them to paa format.  You will be able to switch markings via a script in the init line of the units.

ahh cool, yeah the question was more about if you've got the textures so I could change it easy. Ok dude no futher questions for now. Man all your addons are cool! cannot wait! thumbs-up.gif

Hmm... Any plans on creating/letting somebody create a version with German textures?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Hmm... Any plans on creating/letting somebody create a version with German textures?

Not in the first BETA release. Once i've got the pack to a stable point i'll add skin packs with the later release.

ahh cool, yeah the question was more about if you've got the textures so I could change it easy. Ok dude no futher questions for now. Man all your addons are cool! cannot wait! thumbs-up.gif

Textures? Do you mean the entire skin (as Wonder asked) or just the markings?

Whats skins have you got planned for the Tornados?

Guest RKSL-Rock
Any more to tell about your SAM projects ?  whistle.gif

Yeah a bit.

Small update:

SA-2 Guideline- Complete Some slight remodelling need to be done on the missile itself and the Fansong Radar needs skinning.

SA-4 Ganef is on pause until i work out what the internal layout is supposed to be. If anyone has internal shot of the launcher i'd appreciate it.

SA-5 Gammon - Launcher is 80%, Radar is 50% neither haves good textures

SA-6 Gainful - 95% Just finishing some scripts and texturing.  The Straight Flush Radar unit is about 60%. Considering the relatively minor differences in the unit I will probably also do the SA-11 Gadfly too, but at a later date.

Fire Control scripts are still in developement - UNN had to change the way they work slightly which has meant a delay but nothing too significant.

Skyguard and supporting units: ASPIDE, 35mm AAA etc are all pretty much done too.

Rapier FSC etc is having a cosmetic upgrade - improved models to the FSC Launchers and base trailers.  After that they are just waiting on the Firecontrol Scripts etc.

I'll post some screenies tomorrow of some of the latest stuff time and flights permitting.

Daniel @ Oct. 09 2005,22:40)]Whats skins have you got planned for the Tornados?

Current ie modern ones as mentioned in previous posts.

A number of people have asked if im going to make the Tornados with 1980's NATO colour schemes.  The short answer is NO.  These models are of the latest versions of the Tornado GR4/4A and the F3.

I do plan to make earlier versions of the GR1/1A and F3 with appropriate weaponary availble after the first BETA pack is out.  I wont be and do not plan to release a "3rd party repaint pack" either.  There may well be a 2nd release for German and Italian Tornados if there is a high enough demand for it though.

Guest RKSL-Rock

OK a couple of SA6 screenies...

RKSL-SA6-pr-1.jpg

RKSL-SA6-pr-2.jpg

Textures are still a work progress, I haven’t added much in the way of "wear and tear" yet.

The "Straight Flush" radar is going to be on an adapted version of the same chassis etc so will look pretty much that same but replacing the missiles racks with 2 large radar antennas.

Man... those look great... though I don't imagine they'd look to good coming at you. tounge2.gif

Beautiful! smile_o.gif

Am I to understand that your SAM launcher vehicles are going to need a targeting radar in order to be able to engage targets? In other words if the targeting radar is knocked out will the launcher vehicles be unable to fire? huh.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Beautiful! smile_o.gif

Am I to understand that your SAM launcher vehicles are going to need a targeting radar in order to be able to engage targets? In other words if the targeting radar is knocked out will the launcher vehicles be unable to fire? huh.gif

Some will - others won’t.

Systems like the Rapier, Later model SA-6 etc can track and fire on target by themselves.

Other system like the SA2,4 & 5 all require a fire control radar. The SAM projects we have on the table at the minute aim to properly simulate (as much as the game engine allows) realistic SAM operations.

The OFP system uses 3 units just like most real world units:

A Search Radar (Long Range)

A Fire Control Radar (FCR) - (Med to Short Range)

Several Launchers.

The Search Radar find the targets and hands off to one or more fire control radars - they in turn assigning the target to a launcher in their group.

Each Search radar can support multiple FCRs and their dependants. This means that you can simulate an integrated (albeit small scale) air defence solution that wont missile spam the first target that comes along.

The idea is to create an layered air defence system just like the real world. If you manage to sneak in and destroy the radar stations you're aircraft can get in and take the rest out. If you try and fly in, you'll be detected by long range radar and tracked. If you stray into the range of a SAM battery you'll be fired upon. If you survive the first SAM attack, you'll have to face the shorter range system eventually even guns and MANPADS.

So far in testing its been very popular, adding that extra bit of realism to strike missions and helicopter insertions.

The original thread announcing and explaining the system is HERE (please don’t dig it up again - its served its purpose)