Sign in to follow this  
SpongeBob

Discovery TV new Military Channel

I watched it all last night - they had a great two part series on a company of Marine tankers in OIF and another of a squadron of Marine helos in Afghanistan. They were all very well put together documentaries with excellent footage.

A great start to the channel!

Looks nice, but I don't think out cable company will broadcast it (maybe on digital cable) wink_o.gif

We however had Discovery Civilisation for half a year, and it had quite a lot of military documentaries. But of course channels like this get canceled after half a year sad_o.gif

I watched some documentries when it was the Wings channel, and heard it would change to Military channel. Sounds good. But I hope it focuses on more than just only one or two different armies.

how can i get that channel? i live in germany. i would just need the satelite's coordinates

Am I the only one who finds this subtitle cynical?

Yes its only you. We play military game and i would like to watch military TV (I got 5 discovery channels + NG and Planette) but I cant wait when my CSP plug in this one biggrin_o.gif. There should be more channels like that as there are so many military fans/ ex soldiers/etc.

I watched some of the previews and I looks quiet hard to me, but interesting as well.

Am I the only one who finds this subtitle cynical?

no you are not. smile_o.gif

i can imagine how unbiased and balanced this channel is... crazy_o.gif

I have no problem with miliary documentaries, but the Discovery ones tend to be mediocre at best. They do however seem to have an endless supply of them, so I'm not surprised that they've dedicated a channel to them.

This channel is <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>HARDCORE</span>.

It's very <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>AROUSING</span> with lots of nice big <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>BANGS</span> and explosions. I watched it for about <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>SIX LOONG HOURS</span> last night and <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>TWO MORE HOURS</span> today.

This channel is going to kick ass.

I give it five totally kickass three mile long convoys moving into baghdad out of five totally kickass three mile long convoys moving into baghdad.

I got cable-TV and no military Discovery?!  crazy_o.gif

Ah screw this I'm moving to the States to watch this crazy_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

Half of the time on Discovery channel is about some war, so I guess it was a good thing that they made a channel for it.

But then again.. I got cable-TV and no military Discovery?!  crazy_o.gif

Someone tape this and send it to me biggrin_o.gif

Through my cable (in Australia) I get Animal Planet, History Channel, National Geographic and Discovery. The History Channel has some excellent military documentaries...

aaah crap! wish we had those channels here in Finland!

Damn right. If I had that type of channel, I'd never leave the house. I'd become the Space Jockey from Alien.

we gotta send a request with 5000 names to someone who can arrange such channel for us :P so wrong... americans always get to fight the action packed wars and have the coolest TV-channels! I'm so bored here

americans always get to fight the action packed wars and have the coolest TV-channels!

Lol. You can always try poking the Russians with a stick and see what happens wink_o.gif

americans always get to fight the action packed wars and have the coolest TV-channels!

Lol. You can always try poking the Russians with a stick and see what happens wink_o.gif

"they'll eat both the stick and your hand !" old joke from the '99 balkanic bitch fight session I got from a friend.

Discovery documentaries always have a sort of tone of trying to 'wow' the regular Joe viewer, like showing an Abrams rolling over terrain with some 'cool' red filter over it and the narrator saying "This armored beast weighs 70 tons!" with ominous music in the background. The quality varies.

They're OK though, and an endless supply on an own channel would be kickass. I recently downloaded a sniper documentary, learned lots about snipers in WW1...

I recently downloaded a sniper documentary, learned lots about snipers in WW1...

Nice smile_o.gif what was it called?

'Snipers', part of 'dangerous operations' or something like that.

edit: Aw I don't know, it could have been a History channel production.

Discovery documentaries always have a sort of tone of trying to 'wow' the regular Joe viewer, like showing an Abrams rolling over terrain with some 'cool' red filter over it and the narrator saying "This armored beast weighs 70 tons!" with ominous music in the background. The quality varies.

They're OK though, and an endless supply on an own channel would be kickass. I recently downloaded a sniper documentary, learned lots about snipers in WW1...

I was kind of expecting the same thing, but the show "Delta Tanks" about a Marine tank company was a lot less dumbed down than I thought it would be. Of course they mention that the M-1 weighed 70 tons and blah blah blah, but they also talk about a lot of the more mundane details that make documentaries so interesting. Like why the M-1 always has it's barrel pointed at the sky if it's not shooting or scanning for something (something that makes total sense but I never knew the answer to).

And just the combat footage was outstanding - it wasn't sexed up at all and nearly all of it was original (and filmed by Marine combat cameramen). Watching three MICLICs blow through a minefield while M-1s light up the far side with machinegun fire was an awesome sight.

It seems like a good chunk of the documentaries I've seen to date about the military (on the History Channel or other Discovery Channels) uses the same 5 second video clips over and over again - the same scenes you've seen for years. Only the narration and subject matter seems to differ in those documentaries but the combat footage they show is always the same.

I think the Military Channel has gotten off to a great start. Hopefully they can follow up.

The Histroy Channel here in Canada I think is good. It focuses alot on Canada, especially in the early years and historical figures. But the documentries they have for war are excellent.

But, unfortunatly, they never cover the current military. It's always about the World Wars. sad_o.gif

They also cover a good chunk on other war fronts and world events.But, as the name history channel, it covers mostly non-war history and events. Which is good, I think. A History channel shouldn't focus on the wars all the time.