Sign in to follow this  
Schabernak

M60A1

Well I suppose you could make an effect for smoke or fire over the plate which got hit.. change a texture (like on helos like the MI-28 after the missle has been fired, the tube is see through becuase it looses the caps) to show the ERA has reacted..

Probably not possible, I know next to nothing about modelling or scripting.

...with modeled

yes, already done i made one for lost brothers

you just simulate it by giving it a higher armour value...

Exactly! That's what I'm talking about.

IMHO, I'm not sure if there's any need for a searchligh, but an aparmored M60 (with ERA) is definitely a must-have.

I would post a screen shot of the Israeli Magach 6 (M60A1) with ERA but I don't have any.. and I don't think I have any of the captured and updated Egyptian M1a1 with era either.

Mag'ach 7 was based on the M60A3, which version was based on the M60A1? Mag'ach 6B i think, try to search google or any other searchprogram for pictures.

actual king homer they are not based on any verision.

the magach 6 is just the hebrew name for any m60 series.

most all m60's have been upgraded to A3 or other (israel makes their own upgrades in engines, etc)

the magach 7 is actual an m60 with alot of heavy special armour on the turret. israel evne has their own export verision of the m60 with an 120mm main gun, special armour new engine it is a major overhaul and makes the m60 nearly level with most MBT.. called the Sabra..

in fact m46a2 was called the magach 3 and the m48a5 was called the magach 5

here is what the magach 7 is

Quote[/b] ]Magach 7 is upgraded Magach 6 tanks without the Blazer armour. This upgrade included thick slabs of passive armour added to the turret and hull front, armoured side skirts, new fire control, thermal sleeve for the 105mm gun (as on Magach 6B) and Merkava Mk 1 tracks as on (as on Magach 6B).

wow_o.gif  will that searchligh follow maingun movement?

Yes, but it won't be an actual 'light'. Just a modelled-on box which looks like one. Due to engine-limitations you can't have a light move with the turret/gun.

Due to engine-limitations you can't have a light move with the turret/gun.

There have been a lot of engine-limitations in the past which were blast away ... so perhaps someone finds a solution smile_o.gif

Wow!  That M60 with the searchlight looks beautiful!  I just made a very crude searchlight on the Egyptian M60's in the LoBo pack because my modelling skills suck.  

sad_o.gif

However what we'll probably do on our Magach 6's is possibly see about adding that script from the BTR-T addon where when its hit by RPG's and tank shells it makes a bunch of sparks that look like ERA explosions.  Also as dammage increases I think ERA boxes can be darkened to simulate a blown out ERA box.

LoBoMagach6_1.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Sorry to go a bit offtopic but:

I hate it when statments like this are made.

Quote[/b] ]The survivability of the 120S is unmatched.

Where did I last hear someone say that? Oh yeah.. about the M1. The same M1's getting ripped up by RPG-7's in Iraq. No wonder so many people used to beleive they were the indesturctable Uber tanks. Thank god for Challenger 2s is all I'll say.

What drugs are you on?

The M-1's pretty much shrug off the RPG-7 rounds like popcorn. Hell! I have friends over there in Brads that have taken RPG hits with no loss of mobility!

Not sure if it will work Schabernak but you can try and add the memory points of the light on official BIS M2 machinegun addon to your M60 series addon to make some tests maybe it will work wink_o.gif

You can allways try it wink_o.gif

Sorry to go a bit offtopic but:

I hate it when statments like this are made.

Quote[/b] ]The survivability of the 120S is unmatched.

Where did I last hear someone say that? Oh yeah.. about the M1. The same M1's getting ripped up by RPG-7's in Iraq. No wonder so many people used to beleive they were the indesturctable Uber tanks. Thank god for Challenger 2s is all I'll say.

What drugs are you on?

The M-1's pretty much shrug off the RPG-7 rounds like popcorn.   Hell!  I have friends over there in Brads that have taken RPG hits with no loss of mobility!

Well that's semi true.  In general yes, you can fire dozens of RPG-7's at an M1A1/A2 without doing much dammage.  However, the tracks can be blown off and the tank can be disabled by hits to the rear engine compartment and to the rear turret area containing the ammunition. While the blow out panels work, it still makes one hell of an explosion when all the M1's ammo goes off and often catches the tank on fire forcing the crew to bail out.  Plus at the very least they'll have no ammo except the MG ammo they keep in the crew compartment.  

In addition it is widely agreed by most experts that at least one M1A1 tank in Iraq suffered a side penetration into the crew compartment by what they believe was a RPG-7VR round featuring a tandem warhead.  The Russians call this round their "Abrams Killer".  

Finally the M1 tanks CAN have their turret crew killed and/or wounded by roof top hits by even regular RPG-7 rockets fired down onto the roof of the turret from bridges and rooftops.  

Several M1 tanks in Iraq have been disabled and/or destroyed with killed or injured crew members during such attacks on their turret roofs.    In my opinion the main reasons why there are not that many tank losses in Iraq are because of 1). The superior training and tactics of US tank crews, 2). Good infantry support/combined arms tactics, and 3). The poor quality of most of the Iraqi militants.

An example is that very few of them seem to understand the principle of shape charged explosives.  Generally most of their IDE (roadside bombs) are fashioned crudely in the simple form of just a bunch of explosives packed into a container of some sort with a detonator.  The result is a non-direction (although powerful) blast that often doesn't penetrate even lightly armored APC's.  If they figured out how to make directional shape-charged explosives (it ain't that difficult) the lethality of their IDE's would be much more substantial.  

In addition, it seems that not very many of them venture onto rooftops to fire RPG's as generally, US military snipers own the rooftops and pick off any Iraqi who pops up on a roof.

In addition firing an RPG-7 from the window of an enclosed room is risky if the room is not properly ventilated...plus there is the risk of being ventilated themselves by US snipers and machine gunners.  

But back on topic, a USMC M60A3 tank with reactive armor as well as a M728 Combat Engineering variant of the M60 would be awesome. Here's a pic of the M728 and its massive 165mm demolition gun.

M728_Armoured_Combat_Engineer_Vehicle_USA_06.jpg

m728cev-003.jpg

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

The Russians call this round their "Abrams Killer".  

Correct.

That's why I like American tanks - they are so much fun to fight against! smile_o.gif  

There's also a new RPG "Vampire" - it's a rare thing, but it can desrtoy any Western tank and it doesn't matter where the missile hits - front or back.

On the other hand most Soviet and Russain tanks won't stand a chance against 1 on 1 confrontation with M1A1 becasue things like T-64 and T-72 and ever early modifications of T80 have a hard time hitting moving targets.

American tanks have much better fire control systems. that's why Russain tanks have those special AT radio or laserguided missiles...

Oh, hell, I don't know what I'm talking about.

I am not a tank expert like you guys. smile_o.gif

Miles Teg - I like those pics! And the best thing about them is that one can use the same good old M60 model to make them. No drastic changes required.

OFFTOP

DKM Jaguar - any news about your ADATS?

AFAIR this "Vampyre" is RPG-29. It can penetrate ca. 750 mm RHA protected by ERA. Russian made tests with this projectile against T80s and T90s, with ERA and without, and RPG-29 proved to be great weapon. But front armour of the newest Abrams`, Leopards, Challengers and Merkavas (and few other tanks, sorry not mentioned ;)) probably will protect the crew against "Vampyres".

Miles Teg, even T72 with ERA can survive multiple RPG hits - there was some cases from Chechnya. You got right - all depends on situation.

This story about "Abrams killer" - new tandem warhead - sound strange. It is rather rare for HEAT to penetrate so much space... maybe it was EFP mine?

I don't want to go off-topic much more so I'll just PM you the information and links to pics of the RPG-7VR attacks.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

AFAIR this "Vampyre" is RPG-29. It can penetrate ca. 750 mm RHA protected by ERA. Russian made tests with this projectile against T80s and T90s, with ERA and without, and RPG-29 proved to be great weapon. But front armour of the newest Abrams`, Leopards, Challengers and Merkavas (and few other tanks, sorry not mentioned ;)) probably will protect the crew against "Vampyres".

Miles Teg, even T72 with ERA can survive multiple RPG hits - there was some cases from Chechnya. You got right - all depends on situation.

This story about "Abrams killer" - new tandem warhead - sound strange. It is rather rare for HEAT to penetrate so much space... maybe it was EFP mine?

750mm wont get it thru the frontal armor on an M1A1 or an M1A2.

Quote[/b] ]In addition it is widely agreed by most experts that at least one M1A1 tank in Iraq suffered a side penetration into the crew compartment by what they believe was a RPG-7VR round featuring a tandem warhead. The Russians call this round their "Abrams Killer".

I am familiar with this incident. (BTW, I have served in the 1/150th ACR so I know a bit about the M1 series.) It was what is known as a 'golden BB'. It hit at a unusually thin spot on the side armor and the copper slug from thcone actually penetrated into the crew compartment.

If it hadn't hit the breaker box, it would have not immobilized the tank anyway, the vehicle was easily repaired. The crew was completely uninjured, (depiste one crew member being slightly grazed on his vest).

This hardly can be construed as evidence of some congenetial defect in the Abrams design.

here is the est. protection of an m1a1 in 2002

Quote[/b] ]

M1A1HC, M1A1HA, M1A1D  

Against Kinetic Energy (in mm of RHAe)

Turret 800 - 900

Glacis 560 - 590  

Lower Front Hull 580 - 650  

Against Chemical Energy (in mm of RHAe)

Turret 1,320 - 1,620

Glacis 510 - 1,050

Lower Front Hull 800 - 970

and an m1a2 2002-2004

Quote[/b] ]

M1A2 SEP

Turret  940 - 960

Glacis  560 - 590

Lower Front Hull  580 - 650

Turret  1,320 - 1,620  

Glacis  510 - 1,050  

so as you cna see an 750mm chemical around would penatrate an M1A1 and it might on the Glacis of an M1A2

OFFTOP

DKM Jaguar - any news about your ADATS?

Well it's a work in progress. When I get far enough, and I have space to put the pics which does not run out of bandwidth if more than 0.5 of a person views it (see my sig and avatar have already got red x's...) , then I will put some info here about it.  smile_o.gif

But I'm not sure it's worth its own thread.

Ontopic: That M60 looks great, details like searchlights really add realism I think.

I have played with the released version ingame and I must say,its excellent,I don't suppose that by chance you could make a desert version? we have desert everythings for standard armor except the M60 tanks which never have had any desert really..and I think that if you make it (maybe with the composite armor like the marines use) that it would be another great tank release.

here is the est. protection of an m1a1 in 2002
Quote[/b] ]

M1A1HC, M1A1HA, M1A1D  

Turret 800 - 900

Glacis 560 - 590  

Lower Front Hull 580 - 650  

Turret 1,320 - 1,620

Glacis 510 - 1,050

and an m1a2 2002-2004

Quote[/b] ]

M1A2 SEP

Turret  940 - 960

Glacis  560 - 590

Lower Front Hull  580 - 650

Turret  1,320 - 1,620  

Glacis  510 - 1,050  

so as you cna see an 750mm chemical around would penatrate an M1A1 and it might on the Glacis of an M1A2

The HA (Heavy Armor) and HC (Heavy Common) are the same tank, the D (Digital) is just a digitized version of the M1 to keep up with the SEP, the M1A1 AIM is the same as the D, just intergrated to keep up with the A2SEP so that units not armed with the SEP may comunitcate and be up to date with the SEP.

I'm sure a 750mm Chemical round could do damage to an M1,but with its Chobham and DU it could survive.

M1 varients:

XM1

M1

M1IP

M1A1

M1A1HC/HA

M1A1 AIM

M1A1 D

M1A2

M1A2 SEP