Sign in to follow this  
drow

Vietcong Soldiers

Are you guys gonna include Chieu Hoi Soldiers in your mod?

Are you guys gonna include Chieu Hoi Soldiers in your mod?

i dont knwo what those are sad_o.gif

VC/NVA who were persuaded to change sides and fight with the Americans.

ChieuHoiwleaflet2.jpg

Edit: Removed direct link to the website as there's a very blurred, distant corpse in one image, find the website homepage from the image URL smile_o.gif

o like Kit Carson scouts,

yep.

looking very nice, i hope you make NVA\Vietcong models of smaller stature and include women on their ranks as they played a vital part on this war. Keep it up smile_o.gif

you guys should take a look at http://www.i-kirk.info/

it has plenty info and also a "tales" section, which is an account fo a soldier who was in Vietnam for 13 months, it ranges from sad, scary to the downright funny sometimes

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words and feedback.

More ideas and suggestions would be appreciated, we're very early into the process of creating these units, in fact they were pretty much made this last weekend between Saturday morning and Monday night, so theres lots more to do.

How about some new 'bush' camo for the units. The units have a bit of vegetation on them from the current jungle islands around. I think the recon soldiers from SEB have a little bush on the back, but that wasn't much. I remember seeying footage of NVA and VC soldiers wearing sometimes halve a bush on themselfs just to blend in with the jungle.

Also what i would like to see is the VC soldiers having a option to set up a punji trap. That trap with the sticks in the ground. Some sort of action or weapon to use just like the FDF units can lay down that tripwire. Hey! maybe a tripwire to lol.

my thoughts for now... smile_o.gif

Great work here, the soldiers look very real, especially their faces.

Women would be nice.

Are you planning to create some civilian models to populate the villages adding some background "life" in the missions ?

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but are these

skins from the PC game VietCong http://www.vietcong-game.com/

by Pterodon? Not like I would blame you if they were, or

at least based on them. The VC skins in that game were

excellent. For some reason, though, the faces for the US

side, except for maybe Hornster and Defort, gave off the

impression of what one would look like if one were to be

broadsided by a 2x4 (with the face of the commander

looking as though it was "sewn" just a bit too tight around

the neck, pulling and twisting every feature off to the side.)

yea some of the faces are, would you rather i draw some faces up with crayons? tounge_o.gif

also its bloody difficult to draw with crayons, trust me ive tried it wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Btw, what kind of shoes is Charlie wearing?

Ho Chi Minh Racing Slicks... i think, that's what the Air Cav or Army called them  tounge_o.gif

Nice work!

ho chi minh racing slicks yea,

theyre sandles made out of tires,

http://www.vietnamwall.org/gallery/data/509/120.jpg

"On or about February 1968 on the outskirts of Pleiku these sandals were removed from a dead Viet Cong in the Central Highlands. This was during the massive Tet Offensive of 1968"

- "Ho Chi Minh" Sandals.

These rubber sandals are made from tires. They became known to the American soldier serving in Vietnam as "Ho Chi Minh" sandals.

CAP-061A.JPG

http://www.thedogtag.com/CAP-061A.JPG

http://www.thedogtag.com/CAP-061B.JPG

(i used those last 2 pics to make the textures for their feet... and a picture of some guy's broken toes :P )

edit -

you have to realize, the NVA who did get issued boots had to walk down the ho chi minh trail, now im not sure how long it actually was but it was a long ass way, thats for sure, and so the boots just literally fell off their feet from rotting in the moist jungle and such.  These tire sandles wouldnt rot, were easily replaced (the ARVN -south vietnamese- actually captured so many of these sandles that they supposedly started issueing them to their own troops) and also let the feet breathe and dry quickly when wet, perfect for any environment in Vietnam.

US soldiers got a lot of foot rot and such from their boots.

The NVA/VC could have easily taken boots from dead US marines/soldiers to use but i have never heard of it happening, because they already had better footwear suited for the climates of Vietnam.

Quote[/b] ]the NVA who did get issued boots had to walk down the ho chi minh trail, now im not sure how long it actually was but it was a long ass way, thats for sure, and so the boots just literally fell off their feet from rotting in the moist jungle and such.  These tire sandles wouldnt rot, were easily replaced (the ARVN -south vietnamese- actually captured so many of these sandles that they supposedly started issueing them to their own troops) and also let the feet breathe and dry quickly when wet, perfect for any environment in Vietnam.

Is this some kind of speculation of yourself or do you have any facts about nva choose to wear sandals instead of their boots? Because most pictures i have seen from nva soldiers show them with those special boots (made of light material like the jungle boots from the USMC) ... Or do you mean only those units which had to walk on the Ho Chi Minh trail?

nva-vc.jpg

(Left: Vietcong; Right: NVA (front of the picture)

Quote[/b] ]NVA issued shoes more like a jungle gym shoe these were issued up in Northern Vietnam and replaced after wear with the famous Ho Chi Min sandals

Would be cool to know if you have some facts about this phenomenon ....

no its just what i have heard, but dude, how long do u think those little gym boots would last? and what other NVA are u speeking of that didnt walk down the ho chi minh trail?

plus the guy who told me is the son of a vet, he was a South Vietnamese (major i think) and special forces and a bunch of crazy shit happened to his dad believe me, his dad has told him alot of his stories and he has learned alot on his own, if anyone knows his nam shit, its this guy.

BTW

his dad, (this is interesting) lived the war all thru the late 50's the 60's and into the 70's as a south vietnamese, and US soldiers complain about one year tours wow_o.gif

From what I hear those sandals had great off-road traction wink_o.gif You guys have done an amazing job on these, I would love to see some of these guys in OFP. It is good to hear more from this mod.

hey i am not sure if u know but the vc used to use scalfs as sort of a way to identify which unit they were from, this is when they were being funded and we an actual military instead of a bunch of farmers. so u had local vc and main force vc

yea some of the faces are, would you rather i draw some faces up with crayons?  tounge_o.gif

No, of course not. I'm not running after you with legal

documents, I've just played Pterodon's VC so many times;

I know those faces all too well. I think its a great source

because, like I said, the VC textures are very well done.

I was hoping to convince you to not use the US skins from

that game, since a large majority of them are fairly

disturbing; and doing so without prior discussion of why I was

talking about "grotesque" textures from some seemingly

random game would have been an invitation for an unwanted

enquiry into my mental stability. That is why I had to ask. tounge_o.gif

no i woulndt use the US facess because most people would recognize them,

but i have lots of skills in photoshop so i could give them a bit of plastic surgery, swap a nose here, some eyes there... making whole new faces. smile_o.gif