Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Bushfires Mod

I like the Cuban infantry.

I dont know how many sides you guys are doing but will it be balanced out like the Tonal government vs rebels for addons or are you making just what is required for a campaign or mission?

I know I'd like to see lots of units for each side you do but I know thats a lot to make.

In addition to what Ironsight said...

Initially, we're looking to model Operations Moduler/Hooper - which was the last major action in Angola. This battle involved a small South African brigade (20 SA Brigade - with two or three battalions at any one time) versus about 5 Angolan brigades (each of which was roughly equivalent to 2 battalions due to attrition).

A difficult thing to model is the absolutely awful quality of the Angolan forces. If they weren't firmly fortified in fixed positions, it was only a matter of moments before the South Africans routed them. It wasn't unheard of to have a South African infantry or mech infantry company rout an entire Angolan brigade. The Angolans simply did not have adequate training or discipline to utilize their advantages effectively. They had quantitative superiority in tanks, infantry, artillery and they also had air superiority for most of the battle. In the end, it was a simple minefield that saved the Angolans from annihilation - two Olifant tanks hit mines, which bogged down the entire offensive on the city of Cuito Cuanavale and the poor supply situation of the South Africans caught up to them.

As such, we'll probably give the Angolans very low skill ratings - groups will be led by corporals and filled with privates who will be keen to run away. I've got plans to use many of KeyCat's scripts (AI tank and Group Link) to help illustrate how a small South African force can take on a much larger Angolan unit with relatively light losses. Of course, this is all subject to play testing. We don't want to make it a turkey shoot necessarily.

So, to answer your question, no - the sides probably won't be balanced qualitatively. I'll probably give the Angolan and Cuban armor, for example, weaker than average armor to reflect the relative ease with which T-34/85s, T-55s and even T-62s were knocked out (in some cases with 20mm cannons!) Angolans will probably have HD weapons as well. The difference is that while the South Africans in a particular scenario may only have a platoon-sized force, they will be outnumbered by the Angolans and Cubans 3 or 4 to 1.

Very much looking forward to this.

I hadn't really paid much attention to Footmunch's Canberra before, but now that I see your SAAF version (Rhodies to follow?) I wonder if I could sound a dissenting note?

That forward section of the fuselage rather lets it down - the cockpit is an amalgam of the full-width "bubble" and the left-side-offset "single-seat fighter style". Nose looks a tad over-long, too.

Perhaps the ever-generous Footmunch could be persuaded to review his model before you commit yourselves to including it?

Apologies if it's been asked before, but will there be any mercenary units added to the mix?

I would suspect that the BAS OPFOR Mercenary pack (the last great release from OFP cornerstones BAS) would be the easiest way around this. biggrin_o.gif

Not really, I was thinking more 1960s style mercenaries, since Bushfires is covering that era (amongst others).

Apologies if it's been asked before, but will there be any mercenary units added to the mix?

At the moment we are very busy with getting a demo campaign done. And with me as the only O2'er at the moment, I have to focus on units that are needed for the upcoming demo release. So I don't think mercenary units will be added soon.

Because we had some members leaving the team, we have decided to focus on a demo first. What means that the demo release will feature a campaign on Tonal, instead of waiting for the release of the full mod in Angola. You will hear details of the storyline of the campaign pretty soon smile_o.gif

I didn't have the opportunity to do it sooner, so I'm doing it now, and add my congratulations to the list:

Bushfire Mod, your work is awesome. Keep up the good job. Your mod looks very interesting.

I hope this will lead to more collaboration in the future with Operation Frenchpoint Mod about conflicts in Africa. Perhaps this could be an occasion to harmonize the configs of the units, so that they could be fully compatible.

I can't wait to see more of your work

I'm sure we'd love to collaborate. In fact, we were hoping to do that in the future with the Djibouti project we've inheireted. Unfortunately, progress with everything isn't as fast as we'd hoped - we've lost some modellers/texturers and with only Ironsight (who, by the way, is the heart and soul of our mod) we simply can't release things as fast as we'd like.

We're definately going to be contacting you in the future, though. smile_o.gif

Nice looking guns! smile_o.gif

What is the reason, real world one, for the enlarged triggerguard? I seem to remember it being smaller on the original Glilion? Looks like something we up here in the north would use to make it possible to fire with mittens on.

Nice work guys, especially Ironsight. All this stuff looks fantastic! Hope you guys find some modellers/texturers soon sad_o.gif!

Im not asking for a release date (I know better) but I'm just curious as to how its coming along? I see so much stuff being made that it's hard to imagine you guys putting it all together anytime soon.

rock.gif

Well up till December it was looking pretty good. We had a lot of models done, then we lost two of our modellers, so the going is slower now. Barring a miracle, we've given up on our Moduler/Hooper campaign and we're gonna aim for something on a lower scale for Tonal. Sucks, but what can we do? sad_o.gif

More firearms as promised:

bushrifles2pf.jpg

Note: We just used the BIS FAL for our R-1 (South African produced FAL) and the only difference between the R-1 and the FAL is the wooden buttstock smile_o.gif

Awesome! I'm very glad you guys are working with the OPGWC addon makers so that their great work does not go to waste. Those Oliphants will definitely see ALOT of action on the Tonal map. smile_o.gif T-55's beware. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Centurion model by Rufus..... Edited by Quaker (before BushFire Mod took it off our hands) But very nice indeed mate.....

Some WIP pictures of Buffel variants:

buffelga1beta0bp.jpg

moffelbeta8ww.jpg

The Moffel will come in different versions like with fuel tanks, ammo crates and other stuff.

Hope you like the screens smile_o.gif