Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Bushfires Mod

The Bushfires mod will hopefully, eventually cover several African conflicts from modern history. Our initial focus is on the creation of a generic African OPFOR inspired by and designed to compliment and expand upon Ballistic Addon Studio's Tonal/Tango OPFOR.

Almost in concurrent development is a portrayal of South Africa's various wars with it's neighbors. We currently have several high quality models for South African vehicles and most everything else is available in the community - and we hope to obtain permission to use them. We'd eventually like to expand to cover the Rhodesian War, the Biafra War, the Chad-Libya conflict, and Sudan. Plus, country-specific OpFor packs are in the works.

Africa is a continent of extreme diversity, confusing politics and widespread violence. We hope through our mod that some understanding of the who, what, when, where and why of modern African history will be obtained. Our scenarios will be based upon historical battles or fictionalized "what if" scenarios. Multiplayer missions will be co-op in nature, with some adversarial missions possible.

There is absolutely no timeline in place. We are looking for anyone who would like to join as a modeller or texturer - even if you can just contribute a small amount of time. The more people we get working, the faster we can spit stuff out.

GroupBuffel.th.jpg

BuffelMPV.th.jpg

Buffel APC plus '80s style SADF soldiers.

Ratel-20 (click me)

Olfant_2.jpg

(Olifant Mk1 tank in development, base model courtesy of T-Animal and the Lost Brothers mod)

G523.jpg

G-5 155mm howitzer. Will be CoC UA compatible.

Looks real nice hellfish! I remember seeing that sort of truck from South Africa on the news as a kid when ever there were riots in south africa. I remember me being on a black list for a while because i signed a Amnesty International thing to free nelson or something like that.

And with that I should probably add that we're not a bunch of racists. smile_o.gif

We're doing South Africa simply because they fought one of the longest and most violent wars since WWII and almost nobody knows about it. The SADF was fighting in Angola from 1975 to 1989 and launched some huge raids into the country that would often penetrate hundreds of miles into the interior, fighting an enemy that outnumbered them 4 to 1 most of the time and involved some of the biggest land battles ever seen in sub-Saharan Africa.

The politics of the times is secondary to us - our goal is to let you fight the battles and allow you to realize that fighting in Africa can be very different than fighting on the European maps we have today. Piles of rocks a few meters high could become strategic objectives. A team of 4 men would often be required to fight an entire company's worth of enemy troops and be expected to win with no casualties. Old Centurion tanks and Eland armored cars would fight long range duels with T-55s and Cuban T-62s. The weapons and soldiers who fought on both sides of the Angolan/Namibian war were often totally unique. I've got pictures of FAPLA (Angolan Army) troops wearing newspaper uniforms and many of the South African vehicles are extremely odd looking - the Buffel being one.

We're offering you guys a battlefield experience like you've never experienced before. We're not promoting any sort of political agenda, we're not advocating Apartheid and we're not going to put you in the boots of riot police on duty in the Johannesburg townships.

smile_o.gif

I'm also immensely pleased to announce that the Bushfires mod has inheireted the Djibouti Project from it's creator, bardamu. We will be completing his work for him and hopefully put it into the hands of the community shortly. Hopefully that will fulfil everyone's need to be a part of the 13e Demi-Brigade of the French Foreign Legion. wink_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Sounds creepy and scary to me, a great chalenge to depict all the violence and chaos from african conflicts into the OPF engine. I wish this mod best of luck smile_o.gif .

I wish this mod best of luck smile_o.gif .

Double this!

Are you also planing an "island"? Just saw the maps on your page. That would be a nice terrain for OFP i think!

MfG MEDICUS  smile_o.gif

I'm building the island. It will be based on Ovamboland in Namibia. The maps listed under TOAW are for another game entirely - The Operational Art of War - and it's a side project of mine.

that artillery gun looks cool aswell the car thing

smile_o.gif

not blaming anyone here but I thought MARKMO made that centurion?

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=2032

That was our original choice, as he allowed anyone to mod it, but we found too many problems with it and Lost Brothers kindly allowed us the use of theirs.

This looks great, I love the idea behind this. Yeah those S Africans are some pretty bad dudes and I cant wait for a release.

So what will u guys have? Any new features or anything worthy of mention?

And what countries will u feature? Cuba?

We're working on a total conversion mod look, like FDF and CSLA, but that's long term right now. Our team is too small to seriously consider implementing anything terribly fancy right now. We just want to get our stuff build, make some missions for them and release them. The rest will come later, if at all. smile_o.gif

I should really get around and try and send u those Magazine bits i found on the Chad war in the 19 Something and the buts from the British forces in Kenya wink_o.gif

that artillery gun looks cool aswell the car thing

smile_o.gif

not blaming anyone here but I thought MARKMO made that centurion?

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=2032

That was our original choice, as he allowed anyone to mod it, but we found too many problems with it and Lost Brothers kindly allowed us the use of theirs.

It is actually T-Animal's centurion wich he upgaded from Markmo's centurion wink_o.gif

I'm also immensely pleased to announce that the Bushfires mod has inheireted the Djibouti Project from it's creator, bardamu. We will be completing his work for him and hopefully put it into the hands of the community shortly. Hopefully that will fulfil everyone's need to be a part of the 13e Demi-Brigade of the French Foreign Legion.  wink_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Now that's a hell-of-a-island!

Good luck with your mod! Everything looks good this far! Hope to get that island out when your mod comes out, I would go crazy!

looks awesome, although I can't get the first two picures to work. If I click the little pcitures it just redirects me to the imageshack homepage.

looks awesome, although I can't get the first two picures to work. If I click the little pcitures it just redirects me to the imageshack homepage.

Here you go:

GroupBuffel.th.jpg

BuffelMPV.th.jpg

smile_o.gif

Works for me... rock.gifcrazy_o.gif

crazy_o.gif Ad they work for me now too crazy_o.gif

But thanks for posting them again Ironsight.

crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif That vehicle is by for the ugliest and strangest military vehicle I've seen. Is it one of those South-African Mine-vehicles (landmine-proof). It sure looks like one, with the V-shaped hull and the large space between the ground and the actual hull.

Those soldiers also look South-African. They look very nice.

crazy_o.gif Ad they work for me now too crazy_o.gif

But thanks for posting them again Ironsight.

Hellfish corrected them in the first post wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif That vehicle is by for the ugliest and strangest military vehicle I've seen. Is it one of those South-African Mine-vehicles (landmine-proof). It sure looks like one, with the V-shaped hull and the large space between the ground and the actual hull.

Yep it's a landmine-proof vehicle (MPV) smile_o.gif

I think all South African vehicles from the Buffel onwards were mine protected. The Elands are the only ones I can think of that aren't - even the Olifants had reinforced belly armor to prevent mine explosions. About 50% of all the trucks had mine protection as well - you'll see mine protected versions of the Samil-20, -50, and -100 as well as the regular versions.

The pics definately look nice, will be a must have when these thingies come out smile_o.gif

I found a website a couple of days ago dealing with South African Spcial forces, you may already know it, but I will post the link anyway smile_o.gifclick!

I'm building the island. It will be based on Ovamboland in Namibia.

Very cool!

Again good luck with that project!  smile_o.gif

Buffel APC is an amazing vehicle;never seen that before it's a very good idea to make it smile_o.gif

Poor soldiers boarded back,it must be a creepy feeling when you travel in this biggrin_o.gif

Guest major gandhi

so are you simulating child soldiers, refugee camps, massacres and all that stuff wich belongs to the numerous horrible african wars, too?

I don't know but somehow I have problems with this mod. Perhaps because most mods avaible for ofp are covering although they feature authtentic units, only fictive scnearios(except WWII things). Scenarios who are simulating military actions but certainly no war. War is hell, it's not only the military vehicles and gear it's so much more death, generations of people being changed fundamentally, a lot of destruction... to sum it up the most violent form of human interaction. If you try to cover african wars like for instance the biafra war and only reproduce military tactics and gear your are delievering a fatally wrong picture of what took place there, than it's really a glorification of war. Some of my relatives were in the Biafra war I heard a lot about what happened there, and it was more like people running against each other and killing without any sign of human character than a military operation. If you attempt to convert this war to an OFP campaign you are producing a perveted superficial imitation of this tragedy.

of course I can't force you to do what I think is the best. But I suggest that you choose fictive scenarios, like BAS did it with there Tonal-project.

(I know that other wars weren't/aren't better than the ones in africa. the techonlogically idealized image that we get from other wars (f.e. Iraq) through the media just hides the real chracter of war!)