Sign in to follow this  
ozanzac

Food for thought

hmm just found out that pretzels are a local speciality.. thery´re around in cologne since 1215  wow_o.gif

some other "kölsche leckereien" are:

1Himmel_und_Erd.jpg

Himmel un Äd  (German recipe)

5_325x450.jpg

Halve Hahn

(this is not, as many may think, a "halbes hähnchen" half chicken.. it´s simply bread with cheese.  

not the most tasty meal but a good base for heavy alcohol consumption .. which is the goal of every koelsch meal  smile_o.gif

also locally favored (but unfortunately w/o pic):

Schinkenhämchen mit Röggelchen (Cooked pork trotter with rye roll)

Blootwoosch met Öllig (Blood sausage with onions)

@AceCombat

Yeah shoarma (how we spell Shawarma)'s nice. smile_o.gif

@ iNeo

What kind of blasphemy is that? Putting herring in a can with sauce wow_o.gif

We eat them raw and fresh with chipped onions tounge_o.gif

How to shock foreign people with Finnish cuisine, part 1

Finnish Easter speciality: Mämmi, a malt porridge which is baked in an oven.

gastr15_b.jpg

Looks delicious! biggrin_o.gif

More detailed story available at Wikipedia.

Belgium, great bourgondic-style cuisine, imho.

Frieten AKA french fries, they may be called french, but they're national heritage here, stands for friten on every street corner really. biggrin_o.gif (frieten with mussels are kind of our national dish of choice)

french_fries_lg.jpg

Gentse waterzooi, a dish originating from Gent/Ghent, basically it's chicken soup with a lot of potatoes, vegetables and chunks of chicken in it, a bit of everything, mostly served as a main dish, despite it being a soup.

belgie.jpg

Witloof (cichorei grown in a special way) and Brussel sprouts are also fairly well known.

witloof.jpgbrussels3.jpg

Of course, chocolate (pralines have been invented here for example), waffles and last but not least, beer. biggrin_o.gif

praline.jpg

beer.jpg

Is that the best thing you can think of crazy_o.gif

What do you think of "Hutspot"

http://www.dekooktips.com/pic-rec/hutspot.jpg

Mashed potato's with union and carrot

And "Boerenkool"

http://planet.nl/upload_mm/5/4/c/1992984105_1999997272_boerenkool.jpg

Mashed potato's with curly kale

And "Zuurkool"

http://www.4bm.org/dom/jenny/images/bord-zuurkool.jpg

Again mashed potato's with sauerkraut

And I don't like any of these recipes crazy_o.gif

Why would I mention them if I don't even like them myself either? wink_o.gif

Mämmi is great with sugar and milk/cream

I'd take "pasha" instead. Part of Finnish Easter cuisine too, at least in eastern parts of country. Made of milk, cream, fruits and spices if I remember correctly. Probably originally from Russia.

How to shock foreign people with Finnish cuisine, part 2

"Mustamakkara", some sort of blood sausage. I like this stuff with lingonberry jam. Ummmm. Probably isn't huge shocker for most of people. It's just that Finnish cuisine is quite narrow - nowadays.

tmusta.jpg

Frisbee made a nice representation of our kitchen. wink_o.gif

We have a great kitchen to.Our fries are much better than other country's fries ,were about the only one who actaully bake them twice.The "witloof" is dellicious with rolled in ham with a cheese sauce.

The chocolate is really actual chocolate ,while most "chocalate" in the rest of the world is made of milk powder.Recently the Belgian made an international move to force every producer of "chocalate" to change it's name and note that it's made of milk powder if they don't use pure cacao ,as such were now almost the only producer of real chocalate's.Belgian chocalate's are made artisanal and are best eaten on the day the are produced and sold (almost all Belgian chocalate is sold fresh) ,eat a Belgian chocoalte made on the same day and you will REALLY definatly taste the hughe difference.

We have more than 100 commercially sold beer brands produced here and if you count the special beers (those only sold at one place at special Beer restaurants) we have over a thousands brands.

I'm getting hungry of this thread.  crazy_o.gif

Just to luagh a bit with the Norwegian's ,they got a special local food called Lutefisk ,not that i would ever eat it.  wow_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Lutefisk (prounounced loo-ta-fisk) is a well-known food of Norway and Sweden which consists of white fish soaked in lye, as a preservative. It is edible after multiple rinsings of water to remove the otherwise poisonous lye, and has a jelly-like consistency.

En vrac :

Cassoulet

cassoulet.jpg

Steak-Frites

steak_frites.jpg

Filet d'Agneau

agneaupain2.JPG

Coq au vin

0007.jpg

Civet de Lapin

lapin_1.jpg

Quiche

quiche.jpg

Gratin

09d.jpg

Boeuf Bourguignon

bourguignon.jpg

Croque Monsieur

P305_021231_2.gif

Tomates farcies

tomates_farcies_640.jpg

Ragout de Mouton

ragout.jpg

Pot au feu

Pot%20au%20feu%203.JPG

Hachis Parmentier

hachis_parmentier.jpg

Aligot

Aligot.jpg

Tarte aux fruits rouges

Myrtille.jpg

Foie Gras de Volaille

foie%20gras.jpg

Salade Niçoise

salade_nicoise_640.jpg

Tarte aux Pommes

tarte_pommes_p.jpg

Grillades

grillsaucisses.jpg

Charcuterie Corse

charcuterie01g.jpg

If you have any question, feel free to ask tounge_o.gif

The french pause :

charcuterie.jpg

And last but not least :

well, it used to be that before the junk food invasion smile_o.gifbaguette.jpg

Pff ,damn French showoffs ,ok we  (atleast we Belgians with our pretty good kitchen) understand that the French kitchen is the best in the world ,ah atleast ours is comparable and we can all joke with the English.  tounge_o.gif

Heck you even forgot another 100 French dishes.  crazy_o.gif

Ah well ,atleast i live close to the French border ,everytime i ride trough it i visit the French Highway restaurants ,wich are a thousand times better than any German or English one.

Whats the name again of that french dish with those delicious Cavallion mellons (did i spell that right?) and smoked salmon ,damn thats good.

And plz Ran ,can you post the recipe's to. rock.gif

I'll add that the Czech cafetarias were a cultural shock for me, and I almost fainted when I saw what was in my plate when I went there smile_o.gif

-edit- I don't know about this melon "recipe".

I use them as entrées, I dig them with a special tool to make little balls with the flesh, I put back the flesh in the empty shells and pour some Porto in the shells. They can go really nicely with small slices of Jambon fumé or Jambon de campagne (smoke ham and "country" ham)

@ Sep. 15 2004,19:25)]
Mämmi is great with sugar and milk/cream

I'd take "pasha" instead. Part of Finnish Easter cuisine too, at least in eastern parts of country. Made of milk, cream, fruits and spices if I remember correctly. Probably originally from Russia.

How to shock foreign people with Finnish cuisine, part 2

"Mustamakkara", some sort of blood sausage. I like this stuff with lingonberry jam. Ummmm. Probably isn't huge shocker for most of people. It's just that Finnish cuisine is quite narrow - nowadays.

http://www.reklaamikari.fi/musta/mkuvat/tmusta.jpg

I've never had Pasha but my family comes from the western parts of Finland. I have had mustamakkara once but I won't have it again. Perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance but I think I can live without it.

The finnish cuisine to me is either sausages with mustard and potatoes or lihakeitto. The only spice the finns ever use is maustepippuri(allspice).

We also have a blood sausage in the French Cuisine, it's called the Boudin (Noir, black one, because there's a white one made with milk instead of blood):

boudin.jpg

it's quite spicy and you generally eat it with either mashed potatoes or baked apples.

You know those Cavaion's right? The are red melon's from the south of France ,go in the summer there and eat them fresh and they are like the best mellons you will ever have eaten ,last time that i went for a week to the provence i ate like 20 of those mellons by myself.

Mmm blood sausage ,some love it some hate it (dumb fool's) ,you see i love them.   wink_o.gif

My grandma once made coq au vin with a bottle of french wine she got from a french sister (i got a lot of French family) while she was in the hospital ,little did she know that bottle was like worth 200$ ,anyway the best Coq au vin i ever ate.   biggrin_o.gif

Another great local kitchen is those of the Chinese actually ,never mind the chinese lrestaurants over here (although they are pretty good to) ,but in China itself people make really great food ,sometimes that are busy for 3 days prepparing the food of 1 day ,anyway they use a lot of those great local vegetable's etc that are so unique in china from origin in their traditional dishes ,like rice ,soja and lots of spices etc. I know some chinese immigrants that we welped with our humanistic organization for first shelter ,clothes ,languaghe lessons and later naturalization etc. ,anyway they cooked for us a lot as means of thanks and damn they make great food.

one of my ex girlfriends was from asian origin and her parents owned an Asian grocery store (they did also sell prepared dishes), I remember her smell .... hmmmmmmmmm I love Asia tounge_o.gif (but I have to admit, Asian food ain't my favourite)

one of my ex girlfriends was from asian origin and her parents owned an Asian grocery store (they did also sell prepared dishes), I remember her smell .... hmmmmmmmmm I love Asia tounge_o.gif (but I have to admit, Asian food ain't my favourite)

It gives me a bad after taste, makes me sick. Ugh. sad_o.gif

Where I live (Western NY), there is one thing that a visitor must/is commanded to eat. Buffalo Chicken Wings, invented in the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. It is our city's main dish and a staple food for New Years(I've eaten quite a few homemade ones last New Years). So if you buy a bag of 'em, you'll know where it came from smile_o.gif

buffalo_wings.jpg

One contest we have is the National Buffalo Wing Fest, which was only a few days ago.

logo_2.gif

And if you dont like bones:

Chicken Fingers:

l_35413.jpg

Usually, these would be drenched in local hot sauces, all good. One good one is the ones served at the anchor bar(which can be bought on the internet.

http://www.anchorbar.com/)

anchorsuicide.jpg

Note:Many a college student loves to ask for shots filled with the Suicide level of hotness. This aint no mild sissy sauce. wink_o.gif

Another good hot sauce is Uncle Ralphs Magic Sauce. I put this on ALL meats.(except pork)

Uncle_Ralph_S.jpg

This is a great side for this are chicken fingers.

Pizza is also very good. smile_o.gif

Every year, we hold the Taste of Buffalo, where restaraunts compete. An often winner are Mrs T's Pierogies.

pierogies.jpg

A very good topping is cheddar cheese dip with bacon.(They dont sell it anymore sad_o.gif )

@ iNeo

What kind of blasphemy is that? Putting herring in a can with sauce wow_o.gif

We eat them raw and fresh with chipped onions tounge_o.gif

Yeah well nah it's no sauce, it's just the liquid they are "riped" in. They're raw and we have onions with them too smile_o.gif Guess the difference is that you eat them fresh and we eat them after conserving them (fermented herring).

Edit: Looked it up; fermented herring originates from northern Sweden (Norrland). You let herring rise/ferment in barrels and then you preserve it to rise some more.

This old preservation method makes the herring smell bad, but it still tastes good smile_o.gif

Yum yum, I've had that a couple of times, it's good smile_o.gif

Blodpudding

Another old Swedish dish.

Made of pig blood, milk and more.

menybild4.jpg

Semla

Traditional bun with cream and almond paste.

Eaten during Lent or why not the whole winter.

150px-Semla.jpg