Sign in to follow this  
radiant

Cheat and cheat prevention discussion

from what I gather with my tals with Suma and placebo AA will be simular to OFP and will be open to all the cheats we have now, most cheat fixes will be used on OFP2, they might do the odd fixes who know

@Hoot

Quote[/b] ]that means, you id a cheater who is surfing with msn as isp (i.e) and then you're going to kick all those other surfers (msn) from your server, too?! that sounds kind of weird - but seems to be a simple but working method

IP range banning has shown that you only really ban the cheator him self, we now currently have 30 some odd ranges banned across 9 ISP, after 1 full year of logs on 4 servers we have found that when you search the data for a IP range like

123.123.*.* you will get a return of how many ppl have used that range, 95% of the time there are 1-2 players on that range and 1 of them is the cheator, and ther other player that is left over with a different REAL ID normally only played 8 times in 12 months, so there is no real loss

how ever out of the 30 ISP range bans we did loose 1 regular player who actually has the cheator TKC Hellfire live with in 2 KMs of him, and thusly set his IP to freindly so he can still join the server

so in the end we do not loose out on masses of players like ppl think we do, LOGs prove that over every time we scan and ISP

I can test it, any one can post thier ISP range 123.123.*.* and I will post every player in the last year who plays near you so if we did ban you, you could see who else would be banned (which would be no one 95% of the time)

I would be (extremely) surprised if BI released a patch for OFP.. Their working on ArmA, and whateveritscalled (Game2).

Quote[/b] ]Yes most ppl here know of these cheating possibilities and try to collect as much data as they can to prevent this.

BI is doing a great job and they havn't forgotten us old fashioned ofp maniacs....

wink_o.gif

I think he means they are listening tounge2.gif

And/or Malboeuf is helping them?

Someone mentioned about cheating in coop, it happens less because a lot of the time the people who are playing know each other/are friends. But public coops peoeple will still cheat, but from a players view, it's easier to spot a cheater on your team.. "Hey, where'd you get those tanks..and the 200 soldiers..". "Ehh. I found them.."

- Ben

a bit offtopic, but i like your 'ofpfans against m4's' signature quite funny dude and i fully agree with that statement smile_o.gif

back to topic: i cannot believe that bis won't focus on the existing cheats for ofp1 in ArmA to offend cheaters or to try to prevent those that are already known and unveiled. if they do so, their project becomes a suicide operation and lots of ppl (newbies or vets) will drain from ofp.

it's like that: volkswagen knows about some probs with their brakes in golf8 and are going to release a golf9, the same brakes within - go it?! icon_rolleyes.gif

but maybe you are right with that, after all microsoft do it the same way wink_o.gif but who wants to be microsoft (i wont consider their vast amounts of money here whistle.gif)

hopefully bis does something - JUST SOMETHING! pistols.gif

who knows what BIS will release with AA, but I can guarantee this

If I added up every Video Game I baught in the last 20 years, it would not compare to what I spent on OFP, OFP servers, OFP Server Equiptment

and I went threw at least 20 girl freinds

and all I can say is

Wicked

it's going to be OT... or do you just mean, that you have spent enough money and time to BIS during the last years, so you demand such anticheatfeatures to bring your life back to the light side of the force...?! wink_o.gif

replacing sex with polygons...it's beyond me smile_o.gif *lol*

I would like to see a cheat free system if we plan on playing AA or OFP2 for three years

lol what means?

replacing sex with polygons...it's beyond me smile_o.gif *lol*

lmfao  rofl.gif my exact thought..

i sure hope they have a good new system..

to adress bis directly: do you plan to release a patch 1.97 or dont you have the time for such a work? it would be neat to get an official info whether bis supports ofp1 until ArmA is out, or not. we got (at least) 2 cheaters per day on our server till now and these kiddies are going to bugging all of us.

those cheats released recently are just used for destroying the game, shutting down the serverprocess, nothing more, nothing less. they seem to be coded for just that simple reason.

the cheats that were published earlier (in 2002-3) didn't ruined the whole game, they were designed to try to give advantages to these quakers, counterstrikers, halflifers and so on - all the jump'n guns, that cannot handle military sims. so cheaters from that timeframe (02/03) often unmasked themselves by their abysmal ignorance when using the cheats, what made it simple to ferret out the cheater. however, kiddies using the so called 'supercheat' are just playing god, their advantage and goal is a servershutdown and to unleash the hell of lag due to the mass of added polys, what makes them most hostile!

to ferret out a 'supercheater' is luck, or the reason why we take lots of stingers/strelas onto the battlefields to lock them on, identify and kick them afterwards. often, a crash is the result.

i would like to know: is it a 'global design problem in ofp' that cannot get fixed within 2 weeks, or is it just like that: you are busy with OFPxbox and ArmA?

help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

Quote[/b] ]from what I gather with my tals with Suma and placebo AA will be simular to OFP and will be open to all the cheats we have now, most cheat fixes will be used on OFP2, they might do the odd fixes who know

i do really hope that Malboeuf is not right with that! which customer would buy a game that is already f'cked up by the same cheats like OFP currently is?! i know at least 15 men who won't do so and lots will follow...

to philosophize optimistically -> It is a long lane that has no turning! banghead.gif

i must have missed such an official statement, but allright, you seem to be well informed notworthy.gif then tell me pls, whether your 'thoughts' about ArmA were already confirmed as well, or not.

and btw: 'to adress bis directly' means to try to request for a statement from the developers, not the roughnecks biggrin_o.gif

from what I gather with my tals with Suma and placebo AA will be simular to OFP and will be open to all the cheats we have now, most cheat fixes will be used on OFP2, they might do the odd fixes who know

As I cannot recall ever discussing AA and cheat prevention with you perhaps you can refresh my memory about such a supposed discussion?

rofl.gif Nothing more to say

Lets go back on topic. Yes it would be really nice if you could give us only a hint on your work against cheats. Is there a massive changing in the netcode itself or did you use new methods to detect more cheats better to say modifications?

Btw the user privilege issue attemping to hide from checkfile only works on whole pbo checks like "3rdparty.pbo". This is not effective when checking memory things ("3rdparty\config.cpp") or on standard addons which are present on server and client.

It is only working on pbos which aren't present on the server.

Conclusion:

It only effects reverse checks which are mostly use to detect mods like BAS or MFCTI

Workarround:

If needed put the expected pbos on the server machine, too

ok 1st of all iw checked about if this topic allready exists but didnt find anything, so if this was mentioned allready b4 im sry.

ok heres the thing. since there is an ID changer out there i was thinking how could we prevent those guys joining a server.

If i know correct,the ID depends on CD-KEY, so there must be some kind of sistem that recognizes the right ID.

What im saying is....coul BIS or anyone that knows which IDs are OK make a program that checks the ID which you enter, and gives the simple awnser such as ID is OK/ ID is fake.

what u guys think?

From the way i see it, thats the only way we get rid of fake ID´s . Allso feel free to post any other SIMPLE solutions.

coul BIS or anyone that knows which IDs are OK make a program that checks the ID which you enter, and gives the simple awnser such as ID is OK/ ID is fake.

This will never be made by BI because then everyone with some coding knowledge will try and finally find out how the IDs are generated and than can easily generate his own IDs.

yes it crossed my mind, but then again couldnt they protect it so it would give us at least some time of peace in game untill hackers break it?

after all ArmA will be out in few months.

I hope BIS will be able to fix the cheating in ArmA cuz now in OFP it's almost impossible to play a public mp map without it being ruined by cheaters. confused_o.gif

O..M..G!!!!

SIcilian.......anyone please make an good filechecker, its imposible to play this game now. 9 games outa 10 will get destroyed and thats not joke.

i havent read all this posts , but can someone tell me if theres ANY hope at all to make a good filechecker???

i believe in bis' fairness aaaaaand coooolness, so redemption will be ours at the latest in winter 2005, when arma hits the stores!

so cheaters? I do not care a hoot about it anymore....the more we moan the more fun they'll have...but that's w/o me, its just too stressful... rofl.gif

gd point....fuck ofp i dont have time to play it anyway, and whe ni do it gets destroyed, so feck it. il play css like every bored guy lol

we differ in kind dude! i'll never, never, never play such stupid jump'n guns! im still playing ofp every evening with lots of friends what makes us a kind of trusted family smile_o.gif. we all know each other, we mishmash the teams and playing Kabooms/IceBones "turn-based-everon-war" so fun is guaranteed! what i meant was, there will be no cheaters on pass secured/on invite only servers and therefore i don't care about THEM anymore - those freaks!

we are going to be OT, but this statement here had to be posted - sry - but i cannot agree to "fuck ofp"!

RN now have 90% of the TKC IPs for banning, this makes for great games all week, and the bans are soooo precise that only those players get locked out, we even have lists of other possible players on those ISPs, if any one needs the list just PM me

And most of the cheaters have ID changers so you can't ban em. That's a big problem... Cheating has got so bad now that some server admins kick the peeps they don't know to solve the problem but it's obviously not the best solution.

guess he meant banning by ip via iptables or another kind of firewall, not just the id, which is "fakeable" for sure...