Sign in to follow this  
radiant

Cheat and cheat prevention discussion

I understand that BIS is working hard on OFP xbox, Armed Assault, etc, but I am sad to see that they have largely ignored the cheating that has impacted OFP.  Despite the age of this game the audience that will flock to those new games will be built on the original fan base of OFP players.  In the meantime, we have a game that is phenomenal to play, along with talented mission and mod makers, but is tainted with cheaters.  I wish BIS would do more to support the people still playing OFP, until a suitable replacement is released.

I've only managed to get into an online game a few times and the last couple of those times there were cheaters.Whats even worse is that I have TomiD's retextured Su-25 installed,And then a guy on a server claimed he "heard" an Su-25 and then I got kicked! When it was quite obvious that he was the cheater. Now I just stick to creating missions and screwing with addon making since every time I've gotten into a game without cheaters it's always been some incredibly lame map,Or the game has had cheaters in it.It seems that I can never find a realistic Co-Op or Team Match game.

maybe it could be a lil hint to send the ofp-staff to the tkc-community forums, where almost all the ofpMPcheats came from.

there was a supercheat released in the past weeks, maybe someone has already mentioned it, which lets you take control of other players, or which is used to perform instant respawns in planes and let you drop lots of bombs to any position (i guess this cheat does more).

the thing i care about most is the fact, that these guys dont even make some funny things on the battlefields which could result in "aaaahs & oooohs that's funny man", they always destroy the game or crash the server, and that's what sux.

it is sad to say, but the last standing publics and clans/squads will maybe go back into ON-INVITES ONLY and/or to secure their servers with passwords, which will of course decrease the average quantity of playing dudes in the evening. today, there are almost 500 ppl still playing ofp1 in mp-games every evening (CET), but if these "bugs" (cheatable malfunctions) dont get fixed soon, this quantity will go down dramatically as i fear.

in the hope that bis will release a patch 1.97...greetings from berlin!

there was a supercheat released in the past weeks, maybe someone has already mentioned it

Regarding to my last post above.... And even this one!

I would like to request a quick option

for the Server I would like the client to report the IP to the server, I want an option to block the OFP port we set to all IPs (and option for static IPs like Game spy to be added to a safe list

then when a OFP client connects it reports his IP to the server and that IP is released for a few hours (may want to add a disconect scan some how) and he can then play on the server

if you do this, I can bet every league will use this with in a day

We'll be setting up on the Roughneck server and will auto force clients to down load this, and we will also install it on our OFP watch

also sicilian did you get latest supercheat 1.2?

I would like to request a quick option

for the Server I would like the client to report the IP to the server, I want an option to block the OFP port we set to all IPs (and option for static IPs like Game spy to be added to a safe list

then when a OFP client connects it reports his IP to the server and that IP is released for a few hours (may want to add a disconect scan some how) and he can then play on the server

if you do this, I can bet every league will use this with in a day

We'll be setting up on the Roughneck server and will auto force clients to down load this, and we will also install it on our OFP watch

also sicilian did you get latest supercheat 1.2?

You can do this already by parsing the xml.

It's however entirely pointless as it's possible to do 'fake' clean connects the server without running the client.

I've tried to play 3 games tonight, each one ruined by someone dropping boats, putting you in the sky, fucking with your aim etc. It just can't be played anymore, all because of some sad fuck who has no life away from the monitor screen and only gets enjoyment from destroying the enjoyment of others. Great, what a way for flashpoint to finally petter out.

I'm just curious - does much cheating occur in coop games? I mainly play coop, and I've yet to see a single (obvious) cheat...have I just been lucky, or is most cheating confined to adversarial games?

I'm just curious - does much cheating occur in coop games? I mainly play coop, and I've yet to see a single (obvious) cheat...have I just been lucky, or is most cheating confined to adversarial games?

It isn't cheating to get an advatange or improve the players performance, the cheaters cheat solely by ruining the fun of others. This is done by "controlling" other players making it impossible for them to move/aim, dropping boats/LGB's from the sky and generally adding vehicles, equipment and buildings to the map. It's so frustrating to wait and play for so long just for some twat to ruin it by placing you 500ft in the air.

Don't think there's much cheating in coop games...guess it's not as fun as cheating when you're only gonna kill AI...I guess I'm not a good example since I always play with ppl I know, but I've never seen anyone cheat in a MP game...and I mostly play coop...haven't played any human vs human for over a year or so...

Don't think there's much cheating in coop games...guess it's not as fun as cheating when you're only gonna kill AI...I guess I'm not a good example since I always play with ppl I know, but I've never seen anyone cheat in a MP game...and I mostly play coop...haven't played any human vs human for over a year or so...

It happens in all public games, its not just limited to PvP.

yea there are been a 800% growth in cheatin in the last three weeks, only two servers are wading threw the tide with masive ISP bans, thats UKSF and RN, (in the CTI community) the Admin from the Kaos server is away and the pussie cheaters are wrecking 2 out of 3 games on that server or evern crashing it when they feel, we're pretty much safe on our server, and keep getting this crap that we'll ban all these other players but its not true, we have log that span over a year from 4 heavly used servers, so when we scan who uses an IP range we get and average of 1.5 players so its well worth banning some pricks ISP ranges

I play every other evening after work, 1 day out of two, I play about 4 games per night and there is 1 cheator out of every 4, by the next game we get rid of him, and this on 3 servers, RN, Kaos, UKSF, there has been atleast 8 times this week where 30 players left the Kaos server to goto the Whore for safe game play, I've had to give friendly squads our server admin just so they can play a fair game

its just sad

so Im going to lock out all player IPs that are not using OFPS

fk every one esle, we'll still have 30 man games

yea there are been a 800% growth in cheatin in the last three weeks, only two servers are wading threw the tide with masive ISP bans, thats UKSF and RN, (in the CTI community) the Admin from the Kaos server is away and the pussie cheaters are wrecking 2 out of 3 games on that server or evern crashing it when they feel, we're pretty much safe on our server, and keep getting this crap that we'll ban all these other players but its not true, we have log that span over a year from 4 heavly used servers, so when we scan who uses an IP range we get and average of 1.5 players so its well worth banning some pricks ISP ranges

I play every other evening after work, 1 day out of two, I play about 4 games per night and there is 1 cheator out of every 4, by the next game we get rid of him, and this on 3 servers, RN, Kaos, UKSF, there has been atleast 8 times this week where 30 players left the Kaos server to goto the Whore for safe game play, I've had to give friendly squads our server admin just so they can play a fair game

its just sad

so Im going to lock out all player IPs that are not using OFPS

fk every one esle, we'll still have 30 man games

very sad.

@RN

Please change the thread... Your request and any other discussion on the sentry should be held on the sentry thread

I will answer there also to salisans comment

Info on the supercheats

All supercheats work the same way if its older or even not made yet. The sentry is breaking the overall base of this cheat not only the features of it.  wink_o.gif And yes I know and got it (1.2 AC).

we are already sniffing the packets going inbound as well as outbound thru the ofpserver-port, and we have implemented some new features to our linux server.

at first, we can now ban directly any id, or nick from the ofp chat, that seems to be cheated, faked or is just annoying and we can ban IPs to prevent these "1000times-connection-kiddies", too.

the sniffer does it the good old way: read the packet while another code does the rest. so #banip for example, will bring id and ip together, to ban the ip finally via iptables. the idea i had, in relation to sicilians great sentry, was it, to bring the sentry and such packetsniffertechniques together to a tool like punkbuster is. so the sniffer could do the job of a wrapper, i.e if you dont have the sentry running in the background, the server should deny any try to access the ofpserver, but that of course demands, that bis gives us a deeper view into their paketencoding, which definetly could become a threat as well!

so fact is one thing, if we cannot see into these encoded packets (commands seems to be unencoded) to check for postions, to monitor movements, gear and so on, better to say, to watch the values and record the timeframes, the value of a variable needs to change from one state to another, no one can decide wheter the buddy is cheating or not (it could compare given gear by the map, and carried gear by the players, too).

it could be as simple as you think: a cheater sends, like every usual gamer, (i.e) an array which holds his position, the gear, state of his own health and so on, to the ofpserver. the ofpserver then, puts all the "infos" from all connected players together. once it had performed its computations, the server sends the results back to the clients and what counts, under normal circumstances, is, that the ofpserver should monitor irregular changes in the values like that:

(pseudo)

[GOOD GUY]

playerone_paket_one('im @ the flag in modrava','my altitude is 1m','im heading north','my primary weapon is a m16 with 3 mags and about 40rounds','my health is superb','im prone right now'wink_o.gif;

#

[20ms]

#

playerone_paket_two('im 1m behind the flag in modrava','my altitude is 0m','im heading northeast','my primary weapon is a m16 with 3 mags and about 35rounds','my health is bad im hit in the leg','im still prone right now'wink_o.gif;

____

[bADGUY]

cheater_paket_one('im @ the flag in modrava','my altitude is 1m','im heading north','my primary weapon is a m16 with 3 mags and about 40rounds','my health is superb','im prone right now'wink_o.gif;

#

[20ms]

#

cheater_paket_two('im 1m behind the flag in factory','my altitude is 200m','im heading southeast','my primary weapon is a he cannon with 3000 mags and about 350000rounds','my health is superb','im airborne now'wink_o.gif;

it would be a nice idea to wrap such a tool around the ofpserver, because of the fact, that such functionality doesnt seem to be implemented in the serversoftware, yet - that's why a wrapper would make sense, OR A PATCH 1.97! DAMN!

Perhaps every server should load a fake version of the cheat PBOs,The same PBOs with the cheat capability removed,Force everyone to use these fake PBOs,and when someone with the real ones connects wont you get a notice saying that they have a different version of the file?

Perhaps every server should load a fake version of the cheat PBOs,The same PBOs with the cheat capability removed,Force everyone to use these fake PBOs,and when someone with the real ones connects wont you get a notice saying that they have a different version of the file?

No...unfortunatley its not that simple. sad_o.gif

Has anyone ever heard of a cheat that can create units on a map in a multiplayer (dedicated server) environment? I would never dream that it was possible to do, but I witnessed just that on our server the other day.

What happened was very surprising to me. We were 2 or 3 minutes into a map (co-op based server btw) when I observed a player using a "trainer" cheat (that is he had unlimited ammo, no reload of rpgs, etc.). Then as I was getting his id, multiple squads of unarmed parachuting civilians spontaneously appeared coming down above the area the cheater was, along with some other misc units that spawned in on the ground.

That map had never had that event/units edited into it so it took me by surprise. And it also caused so much lag I was in a slideshow for about 45 seconds. It was kind of like the ammo spill bug times ten.

So I came here just to see if anyone in the community has ever seen/heard about something like this. And since I was the only member online at the time my whole squad thinks I was hallucinating it...lol. So to make sure no one had slipped any shrooms into my drink that night, I thought I'd come ask the experts. help.gif

Thanks guys,

rough - www.vetsquad.com

the scripting possibilites of ofp are "endless"

cheater may also make use of scripts ... sad_o.gif

yes then can create units, also delete and much more banghead.gif

modified supercheat lets you add all sorts of things

we basically run -netlog and watch the ISP of cheaters, we have filtered out 28 clients all ready which leaves our servers very safe, its been a cheat free two weeks on our server smile_o.gif

there are ways of detecting who uses the cheator while in game, the regular members now know what to look for and slamming the doors down on the TKC pussies is easy now

that means, you id a cheater who is surfing with msn as isp (i.e) and then you're going to kick all those other surfers (msn) from your server, too?! that sounds kind of weird - but seems to be a simple but working method rofl.gif

i still believe, that ofp(ArmA/ArmAII) just needs a bit of evaluation logic in its mp handling! any other solution will be tagged as quick-and-dirty, whereby quick becomes a joke because of the lot work to do nener.gif

i conclude here with the impression, that OFP1 is gonna die anyway and that bis won't spend their powers further more on this title (hope dies last). they will simply focus on ArmA and the ArmAII/OFP2 game, so finally we have to wait for this years xmas_o.gif to see, whether they get fixed these threats, given by the mass of capabilities of scripting the poseidon engine, or they won't. and if not, we'll just recommend a contract with these punkbusters whistle.gif

Yes most ppl here know of these cheating possibilities and try to collect as much data as they can to prevent this.

BI is doing a great job and they havn't forgotten us old fashioned ofp maniacs....

wink_o.gif

Yes most ppl here know of these cheating possibilities and try to collect as much data as they can to prevent this.

BI is doing a great job and they havn't forgotten us old fashioned ofp maniacs....

wink_o.gif

eh??

Did i miss something... is a patch coming out or something?

What do you mean? I only meant they are always present for us... no basis for a rumour!

well BIS does understand our concerns and anger about the cheating problem, yet the game is old and patches take a lot effort and money (testing). i am certain BIS have learnt a lot about this stuff and will make things a lot better from the start in ArmA wink_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif