Sign in to follow this  
Mellis

Mcnool's pacific island

I created a topic here in 'A&M Complete' so more people can get known that his island have been released tounge_o.gif instead of in the 'A&M Discussion'....

....McNool's have released his new Pacific island (beta) but it looks very nice !  biggrin_o.gif

You can download it from www.opflash.org at the moment..  smile_o.gif

i got a few issues and remarks, first of all, i like it... BUT

the threes just north of the "main" airport (the south western most island) dont seam to be attached to the ground, they actually seam to hover about a meter above the ground (not all of them, but some)

i get a bit lag while flying a chopper or plane above the islands, might be becouse of the grass on most of the islands

there ar too big roads on some islands (i think it should only be small dirt roads on all islands exept those with larger cities or airports

other than that, it´s good, i like it smile_o.gif

Don't forget the lack of a landing autopilot... and that the civvy airport's runway isn't straight...

Quote[/b] ]I've tested it out and I've got a few tips for you.

Good:

- brilliant swamp

- use of grass addon

- nice Pacific island feel.

- many diffrent islands.

Bad:

- no OFPEC tags

- low-res Everon textures

- buildings (barracks) too close to runway.

- too many walls in that town next to airport. Stone walls on tropical island, how did the stone get there?

- paved roads in the middle of the jungle & roads leading to nowhere

- many objects overlaping each other (and that causing nasty texture flickering), eg. walls, pier sections.

Well, I know it's a beta, so I thought this will help you to improve it a bit. smile_o.gif

Sorry for double-posting.  wink_o.gif

these pictures look great! how does the AI behave in dense object areas?

This actually reminded me that you could use the AI paths (as well as other nice objects) from recently released 3WX Objects Pack.

Quote[/b] ]Too many dependencies. crazy_o.gif
How do you expect to make Pacific environment with stock BIS objects then, heh?

Hi guys.. I'm glad you like my island..

Concerning the civvie airport... I dunno why it isn't straight.. It's straight for me rock.gif  Probably because of terrain detail or some other shit

Oh and by the way.. Thanks for posting about the island Mellis.. and thanks for posting links to all the needed addons smile_o.gif

brilliant archipelago, congrats!

as already refered the overlaping textures flicker, and IMO that grass will lag a lot in MP, maybe u could reduce it a little?

It's the trees that lag.. not the grass.. wink_o.gif  the grass is very low poly

Island is really great, good job. But what about this wrecked cars lying evrywhere? IMHO that they dont "fit" this island. Coud you do something with them?

Island is really great, good job. But what about this wrecked cars lying evrywhere? IMHO that they dont "fit" this island. Coud you do something with them?

I like the wrecked cars wink_o.gif

I'll put in my few words.

I first off, REALLY like the islands you made. they really remind me of Ghost Recon: Island Thunder.

The swamp is fun, but there is one spot where the trees are not only bunched together, but they're almost symmetrical, so it looks like they're a man made structure almost.

I haven't tried the AI stuff on the airport and stuff, but it is pretty cool to use an invisible H to land a helicopter in the swamp. other than that, I guess I'm gonna have to assume all the other landing complaints are the same as mine.

Oh, and if anyone plans on playing in the swamp, try to do it during the spring months, or else the water level's too high.

The low-poly grass is really fun. I especially like the island slightly SE of the 'main' one. it just has a neat feel to it, like you can actually feel the wind blowing through the grass.

the jungles are great, the towns look authentic (my mind seems to associate them with caribbean islands, though), and I do like the destroyed cars, even though they really have no use on such small islands.

overall, a really great map, so if you can afford the other addons required, this is a must-have, hands-down.

how is it that you were allowed to use BAS's tonal stuff? blues.gif

how is it that you were allowed to use BAS's tonal stuff?  blues.gif

I tried to contact them 3 times but then a guy told me that he had been talking to Deadmeat(bas member) and he told him that people could use the addons for islands as long as they don't editit them...

@Toasty McGrath

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah It's really like you can feel the wind blowing in that island.. have you seen the small rock island faaaar to the south? It looks really windy.

great work mcnool, i love it if an addon maker allows the community to play around with betas

Hey there... GREAT WORK...

The only problem is that I cannot get the new water textures (i.e. the turquoise water opposed to the normal texture) Is there something I'm doing wrong or not doing or whatever??

I have all the addons required and it still doesn't work!

Thanks for any help!

!Sorry!

Disregard my last message... I've found the textures - separate download!

GREAT ADDON THOUGH - I like to think of it as a Caribbean style one... pretty much fits that I think!

1. STEP: You must DePBO >>> Data.pbo in Res/Dta direcory, overwrite original files and with StuffPBO utility re-pbo Data direcory

2.STEP: You must DePBO >>> Data.pbo in Res/Dta/Hwtl directory ...and the same procedure

fighter

smile_o.gif

1. STEP: You must DePBO >>> Data.pbo in Res/Dta direcory, overwrite original files and with StuffPBO utility re-pbo Data direcory

2.STEP: You must DePBO >>> Data.pbo in Res/Dta/Hwtl directory ...and the same procedure

fighter

smile_o.gif

2 hours later ive done that biggrin_o.gif

I believe you only need to do this to either data.pbo not both depending on which you run. I only did HWTL data.pbo and it works fine for me.