Sign in to follow this  
SpeedyDonkey

Swat 4

LOS ANGELES, CA (April 28, 2004) – Vivendi Universal Games sets its sites on the

latest edition of the popular SWAT franchise with the announcement of SWAT 4.

Developed by Irrational Games, SWAT 4 allows players to take control of a squad

of up to five police officers tasked with performing dangerous operations such as

high-risk arrests, hostage rescue and counter-terrorism. As the unit’s commander,

players must follow authentic police tactics as they breach and clear a concrete

jungle filled with armed felons and innocent bystanders alike. SWAT 4 is expected

to ship in Q1 of 2005 and has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

"We are working collaboratively with Irrational Games on SWAT 4 to develop one of the

best games in its genre," says Michael Pole, EVP, Worldwide Studios, Vivendi

Universal Games. "SWAT 4 delivers a tactical first-person squad-based shooter

experience that is a worthy successor to this hit franchise.â€

Featuring graphics courtesy of the Vengeance engine powered by Unreal, SWAT 4

delivers 16 authentic environments set in stunningly rendered locations

representing a wide variety of operational environments. Realistic ballistics and

Havoc defined object physics will further heighten the experience for the player by

providing an added layer of atmospheric authenticity.

As S.W.A.T. officer, players will have access to authentic assault gear including

tactical mainstays such as the Colt M-4 carbine, the Benelli M4 Super 90 shotgun

and Surefire tactical lights. However, as with their real-world counterparts officers in

SWAT 4 have to hit hard-and-fast in order to take down the bad guys and keep

the innocent out of harms way. SWAT 4 will also ship with three competitive

multiplayer modes as well as a cooperative campaign mode.

I.thumb.jpg 19.thumb.jpg 009.thumb.jpg

smile_o.gif

I used to love the isometric top down strategy one ( Swat 2? rock.gif ) Didn't like it when it changed to a rainbow six wannabe sad_o.gif

This looks promosing tho smile_o.gif

I had Swat 3...was'nt super duper game, but the location ideas were fun...better than Rainbow Six I think.

Swat 4 should be real fun!! The graphics look good smile_o.gif

Hope they feature more "loon with a gun locked up in his apartment"-style missions like in Swat 1 & 2 rather than russian rebels running around with suitcase nukes. crazy_o.gif

And more emphasis on arresting rather than turning hostage situtations into constant bloodbaths. blues.gif

I agree, I liked those missions where you had some nut running around his apartment, threatening to shoot himself in the head. If I want a bloody massacre, I'll go play Raven Shield and have fun knocking 70-year-old terrorists over the edge of a four story building tounge_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Featuring graphics courtesy of the Vengeance engine powered by Unreal, SWAT 4

delivers 16 authentic environments set in stunningly rendered locations

representing a wide variety of operational environments. Realistic ballistics and

Havoc defined object physics will further heighten the experience for the player by

providing an added layer of atmospheric authenticity.

As S.W.A.T. officer, players will have access to authentic assault gear including

tactical mainstays such as the Colt M-4 carbine, the Benelli M4 Super 90 shotgun

and Surefire tactical lights. However, as with their real-world counterparts officers in

SWAT 4 have to hit hard-and-fast in order to take down the bad guys and keep

the innocent out of harms way. SWAT 4 will also ship with three competitive

multiplayer modes as well as a cooperative campaign mode.

hopefully they will make realistic locations realistic. I'm kinda picky when it comes to depiction of Los Angeles tounge_o.gif

hopefully it can distinguish itself from RavenShield.

it's now on my list for games to buy when they come out. smile_o.gif

I always used to love the top down of swat 2. Needed a more user freindly interface (like the way terrorists didnt automatically shoot at hostiles, so my many plans to have an enterance guarded were screwed.), but other than that it was great.

Oh and i guess they have taken out the option to play as terrorist........Pity, that was the most fun part, planning for the SWAT teams to come in, covering all enterances, booby trapping routes, ect......then holding negotiations and trying to get away with it...... tounge_o.gif

Anyone who played SWAT3 knows that the SWAT genre is known for its obsessive realism.  

It is the CQB counterpart to OPF.

Ballistics were VERY realistic in SWAT3.  In the "kill house" there was a room with different moveable panels of different materials like metal, wood, plaster, glass, and you could test the penetration with the different  weapons.  

The hollow point rounds would not penetrate very far.

Other rounds would shoot through multiple panels.

The DAMAGE was VERY realistic.  Most often, one or two shots would be enough to down a person.  Especially if they have no armor and you hit them in the chest.

They even had beanbag rounds that you could use if you chose to use them.

The SWAT3 suspect/civilian AI was and probaby still IS the best and most sophisticated and complex than in all games.

They each had a different personality, with stress tolerance levels, aggression levels, impulsiveness levels.  All are affected by their surroundings.

You need to work them to make them compliant by increasing their stress.  Sometimes that takes "thinking outside the box".

I could more often make more arrests than downs.

This is the most realistic game out there in terms of physics damage and AI.  SWAT was never any shootfest.  It was a mental tactical game.   If you played it like Rainbow six or something then you arn't playing it right.

On the topic of SWAT 2, anyone know if its freeware yet? Been searching for my cd for hours, no luck so far sad_o.gif

So, does this mean 'SWAT: Urban Justice' is no more? (It sounded terrible)

Oh, and yeah... SWAT 2 was awesome. I loved using the breeching tank.

I absolutely LOVED SWAT 3....

It was the coolest game ever. Just the interaction between player and hostile individuals made it absolutely a game to play. Screaming "Drop your weapon, do it, do it now" made me feel a real cop.....

Hopefully the devs will do a good job in making code hard to break for cheats in mp....

Quote[/b] ]So, does this mean 'SWAT: Urban Justice' is no more? (It sounded terrible)
Quote[/b] ]After multiple delays, Sierra has recently removed all references to the squad-based tactical shooter SWAT: Urban Justice from its product catalog and ftp server, and upon our inquiry, indicated there's indeed no chance of the game ever getting released. Consequently, we have removed our game section for this title.

smile_o.gif

It is not just the SWAT games that shot for ubber realism, but all the games in the Police Quest series. My favorite was Police Quest 4, the one right before Police Quest: Swat 1. They are all classics, I still have them all and still play Police Quest 4 and Police Quest: Swat 2.

George

It is not just the SWAT games that shot for ubber realism, but all the games in the Police Quest series. My favorite was Police Quest 4, the one right before Police Quest: Swat 1. They are all classics, I still have them all and still play Police Quest 4 and Police Quest: Swat 2.

George

IMHO police quest 4 was the worst of the original police quests, I kind of liked 1/2/3. smile_o.gif

Was I the only one that noted Sonny Bonds on Swat 2 roster? tounge_o.gif

Now thats some good news, i looved SWAT 3 ! it was one of my favourites games, too bad i didnt have a chance to try swat 1 and 2

Thanks for the info, Speedydonkey.

Pity I can't get SWAT3 to run anymore. Windows Media Player absolutely refuses to play *.avi files, so the game CTDs at startup when trying to play the Sierra logo. sad_o.gif

Pity I can't get SWAT3 to run anymore. Windows Media Player absolutely refuses to play *.avi files, so the game CTDs at startup when trying to play the Sierra logo.  sad_o.gif

In your Swat 3 shortcut , add

-nointro

Quote[/b] ]Z:\SIERRA\SWAT3\SWAT.EXE -nointro

The game will be launched without playing the Sierra logo and the intro movie.

It should solve your .avi problem smile_o.gif

This looks excellent! I loved SWAT 3 and SWAT 2 would've been my favourite too, but I never got accustomed to the interface.

My only problem in SWAT 3 was that too often the suspects started yelling and waving their guns and my teammates emptied their magazines on them. My tactic would've been to retreat out of the room and throw some CS in or just wait for the suspect to calm down and go in again. But in some cases it just wasn't possible so there was no choice than to open fire. Really pissed me off when a mission ended up as a shootout.

Pity I can't get SWAT3 to run anymore. Windows Media Player absolutely refuses to play *.avi files, so the game CTDs at startup when trying to play the Sierra logo.  sad_o.gif

In your Swat 3 shortcut , add

-nointro

Quote[/b] ]Z:\SIERRA\SWAT3\SWAT.EXE -nointro

The game will be launched without playing the Sierra logo and the intro movie.

It should solve your .avi problem smile_o.gif

You, sir, rock immensely. Thanks for the tip!

*skips off to rescue the Turkish ambassador again*

biggrin_o.gif

What part of 'L-A-P-D' dont ya understand, punk!?!

tounge_o.gif

You're either SWAT or you're not.

Just thought I'd throw that in. biggrin_o.gif