Sign in to follow this  
-HC-Para

Phuoc tuy province, long son & minh dam beta's

I've released the second two islands of the Phuoc Tuy Province trilogy I promised. Long Son Island

Minh Dam Secret Zone

these are two smaller maps exported from the larger Phuoc Tuy Province

Images of Phuoc Tuy can be seen here:

Phuoc Tuy page on HC website

Inspiration for missions can be found at these websites:

Oz Grunt

ANZAC Day website

A photo site

Aussie order of battle

and a load of other great websites you can find with a google search on "Phuoc Tuy Province". In terms of movies, if that's your thing, check out "The Odd Angry Shot" starring Graham Kennedy. For music, Redgum's "I was only 19 (or a Walk In The Light Green)" can't be beat.

Feel free to openly discuss these islands in this thread, thats what it's here for  smile_o.gif

Next up is fixing the ATF soldiers. One step at a time.....

Para.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that all three islands require SEB Ilo version 1.7 and that Hell's Circus web URL for updates, missions and other islands is here

nice work, going to check these out. i really liked the Meekong delta map you released earlier.

any missions being worked on for these new islands???

it's very laggy in some places for me (too many single trees)

otherwise it's looking very good so far. but it's big. I need to explore it more.

The lag issue from Phuoc Tuy (95,000obj) shouldn't be a problem with either Long Son (3000obj) or Minh Dam (16,500obj). If you have lag on either of the smaller islands I may need to change some forest square types.

Thanks for the feedback,

Para.

HI Para,

the screens look really nice! smile_o.gif

But if SEB Ilo version 1.7 is required i'll need the SebNam Pack, too. Right?

Nampack Required?

I've tested the islands without the SEB Ia_trang.pbo and sebnam_obj.pbo installed. You will get an error saying that SEB Ilo requires ia trang file as it is currently dependent on that addon for its sounds.

If you want to use any of my 3 islands without ia trang installed you can. You'll simply have to tolerate the error when ofp starts. Sound's will work fine - the 3 Phuoc Tuy islands use new sounds. Ilo 1.7 will have sound issues though.

Put simply, however, these islands are designed to use with the SEB Nampack2 and the yet to be released updated version.

That said, I have made the Minh Dam and Long Son islands without names on the villages for a very good reason - so misson makers can make it "anywhere" really. Vietnam? Could be Cambodia, could be Malaya. This way the maps can be used for more than the one scenario. One mission could be hunting Indonesian infiltrators in the Malayan conflict as Commonwealth forces, while another could be SF freeing hostages from extremists in the Phillipines.

I have completed 5 co-op missions for Phuoc Tuy, 1 co-op for Minh Dam and 1 for Long Son (a ctf). These missions require the updated jamnampack and thats why they haven't been released yet.

Para.

Looks great...

To bad it need's a 7MB add-on just for some sounds though sad_o.gif

(i know it will run without them, but will give an error)

I dont know much about it, but can't the sounds alone

be extracted and added to your map?

I don't care much, but I get a lot of heat

from the 56k guys dl'ing from my site

It's not a big deal to me as I keep all my Vietnam addons in one mod folder. However it does suck for those who want to use the islands for modern missions or WWII Pacific campaign missions for example.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Since I made the ilo objects open source, Para could just take them out and use them in the pbo, but it would still add 7 megs or so, so I don;t see what the problem is. In the next ilo update the sounds will not be dependant on the main seb nam pbos, but it will add some size to the DL. Also if para were to take out the textures and p3ds there would be no way to keep the island updated as I will be regularly relasing updates and refinements to the ilo objects that are used on the island.

Its to bad map makers make it so you have to dl so many other maps just to use one crazy_o.gif Its just not worth it for me sad_o.gif

The Phuoc Tuy Province island is a very nice island, lots of places to create missions, and it looks stunning. I have however ran into the issue of AI jets causing severe lag when they fly around the island. I think this might have something to do with to many 'radar hot' objects on the island, can this be corrected?

Also, are there any plans to convert over NAM PACK 2's Ia Drang island to have Ebud's latest Ilo objects. I really like the layout of that island, and the new objects and textures would be a very nice compliment to it.

Cheers

Jocko

ia drang is being updated and fixed. No date for release though.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Radar hot objects..... Hmmmm, you may be onto something there Jocko. I'll have a play around with that in a few minutes.....

Am I the only one who found problems with trees/vegetation in the Phouc Tuy Map?

I can drive or walk straight through them (the single trees not the squares) and the AI can "see" for miles in thick vegetation. Hiding in bushes doesn't work much either.

Ok, had some time to play around with the radar hot objects issue. My understanding of what is meant by this is all the objects which show up as white blocks on radar when flying. I removed all "base" objects from the map that cause this. Does cause some lag, thats for sure.

Lag was greatly reduced by changing the tall Ilo forest square for a newer brush type from a later Ilo version. Huge improvement here. I think it was the grass under the tall Ilo forest trees (seb_ilo\sebles_su_ctver_pruhozi.p3d) that was causing most of the island lag. The map runs like crazy fast for me now with a setviewdistance of 3000, quite an amazing change in performance for a 2 second object replacement. smile_o.gif Yay for WRPtool!

And yes, you can drive/walk through some of the individual trees on Phuoc Tuy. You can drive through the same ones on Ilo, so this is an issue with the models themselves, rather than an island specific error (Phew!). Should be corrected in future Ilo versions. Please do try and remember, however, that Ebud's new vegetation is only beta and to be considered a "work in progress".

I can't release the lag reduced version until such time as Ebud releases his next Ilo public beta, but in the meantime I'll do some work on Vung Tau and Ba Ria.

In other island news, there's a lag reduced Spearhead44 and a new version of Meekong in the pipeline.

I like Phuoc Tuy very much. I was pleasantly suprised to see so much detail. Then again, I was also pleasantly suprised by the Spearhead44 island as well. You guys do a really good job. smile_o.gif

I've currently fixed all of the single plants and trees for ilo. The trees are now are solid for people or jeeps, but fall over when hit by tanks. Also the single bushes etc crumble over when hit by tanks, but for some reason jeeps drive through them. Overall, all objects are fixed and the config does NOT link to the main seb pack so there is no longer a need to use the seb nam pack.

In a week it will be tested and uploaded as "final", as in, all that will be edited in future versions will be map layout.

Para I'll post the new version link tonight for you to test this week on your map.

Para @ Feb. 15 2004,23:29)]I can't release the lag reduced version until such time as Ebud releases his next Ilo public beta, but in the meantime I'll do some work on Vung Tau and Ba Ria.

In other island news, there's a lag reduced Spearhead44 and a new version of Meekong in the pipeline.

Awww shame. But hey a update for Meekong, that's good news to. I liked that island very much, only problem was the AI not finding a path through some of the more dence area's.

btw....is that 'train' thing still coming with the new Meekong?

Erm...am i even talking to the right person about Meekong, or are you just the messenger on this one Para and it's Ebud's.

Never mind all of what i said. I am stupid, the world is smart and i don't understand a word of what they are saying to me.

Butteh...any answers on the above?

Keep up the work guys biggrin_o.gif

No, Meekong and Phuoc tuy is all para, et. al. He's just using my foliage, etc.

please add your bridge back on Meekong island the big bridge that was buggy in first beta it had no roadway that time hope you add it back and make it usefull so soldiers and vehicles can drive over it wink_o.gif

gotta say meekong and spearhead are 2 of my favorite maps, cant wait to try these new islands out, keep up the good work ;)

Are there any servers out there that use Spearhead? I've got a couple of adversarial maps on it using Suchey's marines, but nowhere to play them.

HellFish, check your PM.

I have PM'd you the ftp details that will FTP your missions straight into OGN's MPMission Directory.

Place your missions directly onto the server and I will add the spearhead Island now.

I am very interested in trying out your missions, the server has the MAP Pack and quite a few other addons.