Sign in to follow this  
Vicente_cgn

I'm a little bit irritated ...

Hi there!

I was one of the first who bought the original OFP, bought and played both official expansions, SP only.

But after a pause I'm feeling like an total newbie when looking at this Mod-Forum. I've tried reading the thread about "ECP" (Enhanced configuration project) but it was really difficult to understand.

Synonyms like GMR, BAS, DR, wss, CWC, COC, AEC, DTA, INQ, WRT, OPFOR, DKM/VIT, AEC, ...

I've never before used user-made addons and mods and I'm feeling really dumb. Some may be user-names, others shortcuts ... but I'm afraid I would have to invest hours into the searchfunction to understand all this. Not even Avon Ladys great OFP-FAQ could help me there.

If I'm not the only one with this problem, perhaps a sticky list with often used keywords, some explanations and perhaps links would be a great idea?

Also a list of the most common mods would be nice. Again with explanations and links. Especially Mods that not only contain new vehicles, weapons or maps but that add functionality to the original OFP - like ECP or COC.

If such a lists doesn't already exists and I'm not the only one who misses them it would be great if some "insiders" could discuss this idea.

Thank you,

-Vic-

P.S. sorry for the bad english!

I think this is general information about OFP, as a lot of addon names are based on RL smile_o.gif

Vicente_cgn, welcome back to ofp!!

Dont be irritaded m8, you will find out that most of the synonyms you listed will make sense to you pretty soon.

The great thing for you is that in your absence amazingly great things have been acomplished by various modmakers, i dont know how long you have been away from ofp but Imagine it like getting into a coma in the 60' and waking up now.

Loads of cool addons and effects for you to enjoy!

If you need to know something specific just pm me.

Thanks Sven - you'll get a pm soon! :-)

I was away from OFP for about 1 year but even longer I haven't read the forum here.

Coma seems to be the right expression ... I'm a "Falcon 4" fan and I feel like these people who just discover all the user-made mods like SuperPak, FreeFalcon, BMS, ...

So please excuse me - I have to write a pm now! ;-)

Bye,

-Vic-

Quote[/b] ]Not even Avon Ladys great OFP-FAQ could help me there.

Maybe someone should make an OFP-(Operation Flashpoint  wink_o.gif ) AcronymFinder  tounge_o.gif

About popular Addons, you might try the following two threads:

Addon pages of Multiplayer servers Visit several of those and you might get an idea of more popular Addons.

Best Addons list Preferably read it from the last page first, to find the more up-to-date versions first. Unfortunatly, there were little updates to it lately...

Synonyms like GMR, BAS, DR, wss, CWC, COC, AEC, DTA, INQ, WRT, OPFOR, DKM/VIT, AEC, ...

GMR -GoldMember made an AWESOME explosion mod to get rid of the defult yellow puffs

BAS -Ballistic Addon Studios

DR -Dynamic Range Soundpack

wss -type of soundfile common in OFP

CWC -Cold War Crisis

COC -Chain Of Command

AEC -no frickin clue

DTA -folder in your OFP directory containing data

INQ - Inqusitor. made some fantastic weapon reskins

WRT -no frickin clue

OPFOR -Oposing Force this term also used irl (in real life)

DKM -Desisive Killin Machines mod

VIT -addon maker

AEC -no frickin clue

I must confess when I saw the title of the thread was "I'm a little bit irritated ... " I was already getting paranoid wink_o.gif

Seriously though some kind of jargon buster would be very useful, I work for the NHS (National Health Service) and the amount of crap they speak is unbelievable, all LDP this, FOT that smile_o.gif

heres a small explanation

GMR = Gold member realistic explosion pack

BAS = Ballistic addon studios (black hawks and delta forces addons)

RHS = Red hammer studios (T-55,t-64 packs think russian equvelent of bas)

DR   = Dynamic Range Soundpack

wss  = sound format used for ofp another one is ogg

CWC = cold war crisis

COC  = chain of comand (makers of nice torpedos and artillery)

AEC = mod which made a really nice big island with all the bis islands in one

DTA = usually means youre data.pbo file or youre data3d.pbo file i think?

INQ = nice high res jpg textured guns which replace the bis ones

WRT = anit a clue think its something to do with makeing islands?

OPFOR = opposing force

DKM = Decicesive killing machines

VIT = addon maker that specailes in planes

AEC as already said, one big map with the default islands. Name comes from Abel Eden Cain, the codenames of the islands.

Isn't WRT short for Wrptool, a user-made tool to create new islands?

Wow - so many fast answers, great! :-)

Thank you all alot!

So, placebo, what about a sticky OFP-Lexicon? wink_o.gif I would try to contribute too - as far as my little knowledge goes.

Bye,

-Vic-

vic, I wrote you a long (long if you take my horrible english writing skillz in acount) answer to your pm , saved it and now I cant find it anymore.

Ive got a job now but ill get back to you after I finish!

Little correction, if DKM/VIT is written:

VIT, aka AKM74 is ment. The guy with the APC-Pack (VITAPC.pbo).

BTW (btw = by the way): .pbo = extension for addonfiles ;)

Vicente_cgn

Hey! You know what irritates me?! rock.gif

What does CGN stand for?! mad_o.gif

tounge_o.gif

wink_o.gif

Hihi ... CGN stands for Cologne, a City in Germany close to where I live! It's used at the airport ...

biggrin_o.gif

Bye,

-Vic-

So, placebo, what about a sticky OFP-Lexicon?  wink_o.gif I would try to contribute too - as far as my little knowledge goes.

Well let's see what we end up with, if there's enough to make it worthwhile and useful I'll consider it smile_o.gif

the tags are a system begun at OFPEC, and are registered at OFPEC (there are unregistered ones, but BIS support OFPEC's system)

at their site (when it gets back up), you can find all the registered Tags and find out what they mean and who they are...

simple hey

the tags are a system begun at OFPEC, and are registered at OFPEC (there are unregistered ones, but BIS support OFPEC's  system)

at their site (when it gets back up), you can find all the registered Tags and find out what they mean and who they are...

List still works fine for me ;)

http://www.ofpec.com/tags_list.php

Now now Mezzy, be nice crazy_o.gif

When are we coming back up over there anyway???

Don't be shy! ask what ever you want. It is very friendly forum. Some time ago i didnt know what is it "lol" or "rgr" or "<<3" or "ppl". Last thing i learned is "stfu!" biggrin_o.gif

OFPEC - Operation Flashpoint Editing Centre

NS - Nightstalker mod

EC - Everon Cartel

CTD - Crashed to desktop

CTM Crashed to menu

FLK - Falkwlands mod

OGWC - Operation gulf war crisis mod

UKF - Project UK Forces mod

i also started messing round with the Acronyms to make my own variations

BAS - Bloody Awesome Stuff

DKM - Damn Kool Mods