Sign in to follow this  
Sigma-6

Merchant ship

The 64metre limit is a very annoying problem.

I got around it by breaking my ships up into lengths of about 200ft or less (works out as 61metres, and yes I still use UK imperial measurements).

So far my largest ship is made up of 4 of these sections.

For placement I can either place them manually (this is a real pig) or have the lengths of each section known and entered into the cpp as a group.

A good example of this was my HMS Hermes 1968 which used the group function to allow each of the sections to be placed as if they where together.

Oh yes almost forgot... statics can be boarded, in fact my MV Baltic ferry has a working rear ramp, and another working ramp (raises and lowers) that allows movement between 2 of the main decks.  My HMS Fearless is so far the only ship I hava that allows entry from water and when I get the upperworks finished will allow access all the way upto the bridge.

I hope you two can share some knowlegde.

I think have those ships as an object is the best solution, no need for moving.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

So, a 200m static could be boarded if it were in one piece? Or would I have to separate it?

I have a WW2 Kaga Aircraft Carrier under construction,I haven't worked on it in a bit but I will let you in on the plan:

The model is one boat object, I will use the 64 sq geometry sparingly for some operater rooms and such, I will setpos/setvel 100sq pieces of roadway addon I make to follow the carrier as it moves/drives for the runway, I have toyed with moving platforms and roadways some and I know you can land a plane and walk on a moving roadway its when you stop walking is when you fall thru

I plan on overcoming that problem among other ideas I have when I get back to work on it

But by having the one model you will still be able to drive it normally

I also may setpos/setvel a few extra geometry models for cargo and lower level areas along with some roadway there and may need more side and front geometry, you could actually make it where seperate areas could be destroyable

Maybe that helps

Quote[/b] ]I used to live in Vancouver, Washington along the Columbia river smile_o.gif

I live there now! I ride my bike to the Columbia oftan! It's a nice area...

Using my method a 200m ship would need to be broken down into 4 lengths of around 50m, with this you would then have fully working radoway and geometry lods

Large Container ship modified for Carrier work (already Under construction)

1 Cruise ship!!!

Atlantic Conveyor and the Canberra? smile_o.gif

A note to sigma:-

Roadway LOD:- mainly for player to move or use vehicle to move. AI will not react to the roadway LOD and will use it as a platform to stand and stare.

PathwayLOD:- for AI to be ordered about within the sea addon.

have only roadway lod but no pathway lod = u cannot lead team to battle or set waypoints for user and AI interaction within addon.

Geometry limits:- 64 or 70m?.....best way is for u to experiment it yourself. At times its possibel to stretch to 80m. Dont have to take our word for it, try it out yourself.

Single object or object in parts? - depend on the usability of your addon and what u wanna give to the community. U can have a ship 300m long as a single moving or static object by focussing all LOD only on 64 -80m length playing area ( the area where action is to be able to take place) or u can break it up into static ship 1km long with 70-80m limit parts.

In the past many static addons including mine lack interaction with AI, due to ignorance  or limited ideas of pathway lod. Dare to experiment and bring out the best of ofp. All the best.

Hello Sigma-6,

I hope seeing a beta release soon of your merchant ship.

The pictures look excellent.. and just what I'd need. I'll be watching you. tounge_o.gif

Hey sigma-6 what happend with your merchant ship?

It would be nice to see a beta release so that we could have something to play with before final release will come biggrin_o.gif

It looks realy good and i would really need something that could spice up harbours and that would maybe even make it way to mfconquer the island missions where possibilites are endless. Loading up one of these with 20-40 soldiers and heading from one island to the other and fighting off the other team tounge_o.gif

It's buggy as hell and I'm not updating it. At the moment, it's looking like they will be scenery for the Operation Northstar mod, but if people can talk us out of reserving them for that, I might be pressured to release them to get them off my hands if I could find a host for the file. . .

Bear in mind though, if that does happen, there will be no fixes or updates unless someone else does them. This is because I've run to the edges of what the engine will let me do with them. . . . OFP is just not made for ships. . .

Not to discount what our esteemed friend from the Falklands mod says here, it's just that my primary concern in Operation Northstar is not ships, it's vehicles and troops; and these are all they need to be as scenery. Again, if someone else wants to hack these up and make them boardable statics, then that's fine with me.

Hey Sigma-6 if you released it I would be willing to fix it up a bit, I could segment it and have it reconnected with a script. I don't think I would make it a player vehicle because it would be kinda slow and boring, but i could make it with AI so it could follow waypoints at least. I would love to put some fog horn sounds and a cool sinking/explosion script on it. I've wanted a big merchant ship ever since the coc torpedos came out smile_o.gif

Hey Sigma-6 if you released it I would be willing to fix it up a bit, I could segment it and have it reconnected with a script. I don't think I would make it a player vehicle because it would be kinda slow and boring, but i could make it with AI so it could follow waypoints at least. I would love to put some fog horn sounds and a cool sinking/explosion script on it. I've wanted a big merchant ship ever since the coc torpedos came out smile_o.gif

I think there isn't even a need for makring it moveable. Just make it like Hawk's Nimitz. Would be really fun to make some "Highjacking" Missions on it. Perhaps with an enterable underdeck and bridge? biggrin_o.gif

And it would be really cool to see this ship in a harbour ... just for the atmosphere. smile_o.gif

Mfg MEDICUS

just wanted to ask for any news on this topic,

something like progress?

you asked a reason why you should get this released?

well its very simple

we would love you for it  tounge_o.gif

but.. on the other hand if you dont release it  i would have to find you en put you in the middle of hate bearing ofp lovers..................................................... tounge_o.gif