Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

@ Aug. 16 2003,17:13)]
Quote[/b] ]With all the anxiety about when the demo will be released I decided it would be best to make an announcement about the status of the demo. Matt agreed and I will be giving you a report, as appropriate, during the final testing effort on the demo.

Bad news is better than no news. The recent build we received this weekend had some serious bugs that prevent us from releasing the demo at this time.

One very serious bug has to do with the Options menu where you configure your hardware. It is unstable and crashes the program when used. None of you would enjoy this bug very much as it prevents you from configuring your joysticks.

When I have more information about the status of the demo I will post a report.

Hang in there.

Cheers,

Carl

Bad news, but hey, the way he says it means that had there not been serious bugs, we would've gotten a LOMAC demo this week! And it would figure, with the way Tovarish's schedule is at the moment  biggrin_o.gif

There is a more recent “demo status reportâ€-thread than that one on the LO-MAC forum.

August 15, 2003:

Quote[/b] ]A new Beta version of the Demo was provided to the testers today.

I spent an hour playing with it and it seemed like it was stable. The options menu selections are working in this version. I needed to adjust the sound levels a bit, and I needed to reconfigure my input selections for my Cougar, but it all worked.

I really had a blast playing it today. I flew the A-10 mission where I took out a variety of ground targets and then had enough fuel to fly to the nearest airbase and shoot some approaches and touch & go landings. I had enough fuel to fly for about 35 minutes.

I then flew the MiG-29 mission. It took me a few minutes to dispatch the MiG-23 and then I flew to the nearest base in a low fuel state and had enough time to shoot two approaches and two landings. My fuel lasted about 15 minutes total.

I caution you not to get too excited. I only played for about an hour and while everything worked great for me, it still needs to be tested by both the internal and external testers.

It looks good, but let's not be too optimistic.

Cheers,

Carl

WOW!

LETS GET EXCITED GUYS YEAH!!! biggrin_o.gif

I just hope they release it before Monday when I leave behind my PC for college. sad_o.gif (don't worry I'll still be able to post here, just no flight sims)

i wonder how easy it will be to fly, will there be taxiing to runway/parking and landing on aircraft carriers?

will there be system failures that will affect the flying if you get hit?

will there be a air refueling?

Will there be , once you eject from plane and hit the ground, can you steal a car drive to the base pickup another plane and then kill a couple people go into new york, fly to tokyo and then kill people watch movies, play computers and stuff

lol j/k tounge_o.gif

i wonder how easy it will be to fly, will there be taxiing to runway/parking and landing on aircraft carriers?

Will there be , once you eject from plane and hit the ground, can you steal a car drive to the base pickup another plane and then kill a couple people go into new york, fly to tokyo and then kill people watch movies, play computers and stuff

lol j/k  tounge_o.gif

All of these questions are what reading through the rest of the thread is for wink_o.gif

@ Aug. 17 2003,02:21)]

lol j/k  tounge_o.gif

All of these questions are what reading through the rest of the thread is for  wink_o.gif

No way not 42 pages man biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gifthefinger.gifblues.gifunclesam.gif

Quote[/b] ]i wonder how easy it will be to fly, will there be taxiing to runway/parking and landing on aircraft carriers?

Possibly to the runway, you can taxi to parking if you want. Yes you will be landing on carriers.

Quote[/b] ]will there be system failures that will affect the flying if you get hit?

Of course smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Will there be , once you eject from plane and hit the ground, can you steal a car drive to the base pickup another plane and then kill a couple people go into new york, fly to tokyo and then kill people watch movies, play computers and stuff

That's what OFP is for smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] go into new york, fly to tokyo

That's what OFP is for smile_o.gif

Once someone makes a 6760 miles (10,879 km) x 6760 miles Map then it will be done  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

well this game sounds and looks extremely good, i hope it will be released soon smile_o.gif

Nice. I'm not too fond of those ground explosions, though. They don't really compare to the greatness of everything else I see. crazy_o.gif

I agree with you about the ground explosions..I mentioned earlier that they reminded me of the M1TP2 explosions...And how come the pilot of the stricken A-10 needed to eject? He had one engine out and the A-10 is supposed to be able to fly on one engine rock.gif

Anyway, was a nice video...And I recognised the music from a movie...Can't put my finger on it though smile_o.gif

Nice. I'm not too fond of those ground explosions, though. They don't really compare to the greatness of everything else I see.  crazy_o.gif

think of it this way

the only time there will be a ground explosion is if u bomb something but at that time the explosion will be behind u so they dont need to put alot of detail into something u wont really see

but i for one like that explosion as it is

Nice. I'm not too fond of those ground explosions, though. They don't really compare to the greatness of everything else I see.  crazy_o.gif

think of it this way

the only time there will be a ground explosion is if u bomb something but at that time the explosion will be behind u so they dont need to put alot of detail into something u wont really see

but i for one like that explosion as it is

So when you fire a Maverick or any other missile it explodes behind you? rock.gif

Of course you see explosions!

yea i no u see them but u dont see them more then a secound coz if u play properly as soon as u fire the missle u break off u dont carry on towards the target to see if its hit or not

A demo status report for those of you that doesnt read the LO-MAC forum very often:

Quote[/b] ]After some consideration by Matt Wagner, Igor Tishin, and me, based on the enthusiasm and demand by all of you for the Demo to be released, we have made a decision: It is better to release this Demo as soon as possible, despite some minor inaccuracies, than to try and make it perfect and delay its release further.

Therefore, the current version of the Demo, with a few minor tweaks, will be the release version.

This means that there are some inaccuracies contained in the missions that won't be fixed.

For example: The A-10 mission has the Warthog with a loadout that includes Zuni rockets. It should be Hydra rockets as the A-10 does not carry the former. We feel fixing this is not worth delaying the release of the demo. There are a few other little thing but rest assured that all will be fixed in the final version. Please understand that this Demo is based on Beta code and there will be improvements between now and the final game release.

Another thing we wanted to change, that isn't an inaccuracy, is the MiG-29 mission. In its present form, a German Luftwaffe Fulcrum dogfights with a Russian MiG-23 Flogger. Based upon some to the bad feelings we have all experienced online here on the forums in the past from some users, we did not want to turn this into a "NATO vs. Russia" thing. Lock On is pretty flexible about what Orders of Battle can be utilized. A Russia vs. NATO is only one such possibility. Personally, I look forward to flying missions where the U.S. and Russia are on the same side.

So, the Zuni rockets and Luftwaffe MiG vs. Russian MiG remain in the Demo.

In our discussions we have determined that to make these minor changes would delay the demo from being released further. Therefore, we have decided to proceed with the current version and to heck with the minor problems! In the battle of Reality vs. Fun, Fun is the winner!

So, Matt is making the final adjustments to the current version of the Demo and will be submitting it to the Ubi.com and PR staffs so that it can be put online and distributed to other sources. This means the Demo will most likely be available to you by next week AT THE LATEST.

I WANT TO BE VERY CLEAR THAT IF WE RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS THAT ARE MORE SEVERE THAN THE ONES I HAVE MENTIONED, THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF AND IT MIGHT NOT HAPPEN NEXT WEEK.

I had to put that disclaimer in for my own piece of mind!  

We appreciate your support, your patience, and your enthusiasm. This Forum has really been rocking the past few weeks and we all feel the energy and want to do a good job for all of you.

Cheers,

Carl

Its getting close now smile_o.gif

Heard you the first 20 times dude tounge_o.gif

I can't stand it. I'm stuck in a dorm room with no PC just before they release the LOMAC demo. sad_o.gif

I don't think that's much of a suprise. Wasn't the game supposed to come out last winter?

I'd rather see it out in December and not need a 50meg patch within weeks of release than out in September in need of such a patch.

Sometimes I wish it was like the good old days where there was very little hype on upcoming games. That way you dont get DNF/Daikatana syndrome of people becoming jaded and ultimately disapointed with the final product.

Ahh, the good old days of DOS, vertex graphics and do-it-yourself drivers... wink_o.gif

I'm also getting tired of being worn out on games before they're released. Releasing pictures and movies and war stories is great to get people interested, but the new features that the game promises grow old with time.