Sign in to follow this  
AirwolfPL

Far cry's unscripted ai behaviour

Well, that Bitorrent link wasn't used by many just starting the download or atleast it seemed like it since I was at 0 kib/s for thirty minutes or more before I cancelled the download. Now I am waiting for Gamershell's Swedish server to clear up. I might consider using Ubi's own download... But I think I'll pass up on that one.

well the install doesnt work on my comp because i have no C: drive mad_o.gif

It needs a c drive? Odd, how bout creating one temporarily with Partition magic so you can get it installed, you can remove the partition afterwards smile_o.gif

It needs a c drive? Odd, how bout creating one temporarily with Partition magic so you can get it installed, you can remove the partition afterwards smile_o.gif

Ok i will try this program thanks for the advice smile_o.gif

Why not just subst a c-drive. mucho simpler and quicker smile_o.gif

May I ask why you don't have a C?

Why not just subst a c-drive. mucho simpler and quicker smile_o.gif

May I ask why you don't have a C?

dunno windows xp on install didnt make a C: drive, i got I: P: E: M: but not C

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307844#3

Quote[/b] ]How to Change a Drive Letter

To change an existing drive letter on a drive, partition, or volume:

Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then in the left pane, click Disk Management.

Right-click the drive, partition, logical drive, or volume for which you want to assign a drive letter, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

Click Change.

Click Assign the following drive letter (if it is not already selected), click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.

The drive letter of the drive, partition, or volume that you specified is changed, and the new drive letter is displayed in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

There's a risk something bad might happen, but XP "should" be ok, change your install drive to c, install Far Cry, change it back again to whatever it was smile_o.gif

I would think twice before changing the system-driveletter though smile_o.gif

If you change the system-drive you'll prolly have to run winxp-repair and/or update boot.ini on the boot-drive. If you change the boot-drive you might also have to run winxp-repair.

I would'nt change the boot or system-drive without being prepared to re-install the whole windows. NT-based OS's are very sensitive to partition- and hw-change  rock.gif

I even had to install winxp over the previous installation after a mobo-change. A winxp-repair did'nt fix it.  crazy_o.gif

So how's Far Cry?

any realism at all or just the same arcadiness as the "AI" video presented?

my poor little gforce 4200 cant handle farcry even with lowest settings

I have a Ti4200 and it runs fine with high detail on 1024x768 with 32bit color...

Must be my athlon 1.4Ghz then sad_o.gif

So how's Far Cry?

any realism at all or just the same arcadiness as the "AI" video presented?

It's fun but the demo mission I found a smidge boring, it does hot up when you get near your main waypoint though. Graphics are definitely a plus point, very very nice, I had everything set to medium and it ran ok, Radeon 9800 seems to like it but I think my 1.2ghz athalon is letting me down these days, time to upgrade methinks smile_o.gif

Two things that bug me, stupid yellow crosshair (couldn't find anywhere to change/remove it, maybe in final version), and worst of all iron sights that don't work, ie when you click the right mouse button to aim you still use the crosshair, you don't aim down the gun which is really, really lame IMO.

Crosshairs can be changed in preview version, so I assume it can be changed in final product.

As for iron-sights, I can just agree. And I even told the developers. If they bothered to make an "almost iron-sight" they could have seen it all through, for good measure.

Think it's something fixable in a patch? Surely they just have to adjust the gun position when zoomed (up and to the left) and have it so the crosshair vanishes?

I tried it.

I was surprised it ran completely smooth on my GF4Ti4600 with everything maxed out on 1024x768.

I guess the 3 GHz P-IV had something to do with it biggrin_o.gif

AI is very dumb. Not much of a challenge there. No ironsights sad_o.gif

Sounds are nice, except the silenced MP5 is very <s>silent</s> buggy. No sound when reloading and you only hear the impact-sound (no gun-sound).

The game is more arcade than tactical sad_o.gif

M16 with full-auto biggrin_o.gif

A Desert Eagle .357 with 8-round mag?

Last time I checked the .357M version was 9-round mag, while the 44M was 8.

Graphics are very nice, but not that important to me. Boats are nice, the buggy seem a little too lite.

Anyone know if its possible to make dead bodys remain longer. Every time I kill a bad guy from a distance, all I see when I get there is his weapon. tounge_o.gif

People seem to have very different experiences with the AI smile_o.gif My own impression is quite mixed. I have seen them to amazingly smart things, but also mindnumbingly stupid things. Most of the time though, they put up good resistance. Its all about how you play. If you rush them head on, most of the time, you are toast. Same thing if you get bogged down.

Meh, the AI seems mediocre and scripted, IMO. It's OK, but nothing amazing. They've screwed up a couple of times, and are pretty easy to kill even on hard setting.

I get a good FPS only when playing with all settings on low. sad_o.gif With my 1ghz, radeon 8500, 768 mb RAM

The AI was challanging before you got to know how the AI controlled soldiers usually act in different situations. They also losed you way to easily, goob's judgement on AI; mediocre.

The graphics, boowhee! Where to start, really nice actually. With everything on high that is, the only complaint I can have on that aspect is the blood that "spurts" out of your various victims when you stab them or shoot them up close. It comes out in what looks like small red arrows. Not that it really matters but it does look a bit cartoonish, goob's judgement on graphics; passed with good credits.

The gameplay in general is quite mediocre. Nothing out of the ordinary, except the vehicles wich makes it a bit more fun to play. But just a bit, too stiff for my jiff. goob's judgement on gameplay; relative to many other FPS games, good. Taking into account the possibilities given by the engine, mediocre.

Overall first impressions, a nice game so far. Although it could very well use a few more months in development it is a good game. Nothing really out of the ordinary except the graphics, no major dislikes except maybe the lack of proper ironsights. goob's final judgement; this is not a high priority on the "to buy list" if extra cash comes my way I might buy it. But other games are first in line this won't be able to knock them down in it's current state.

Also, someone requested a picture of the evil, evil pigs that dwell on the island where you land. Here you go, but be warned they are evil.

Pigg-eh picture.

About 30 seconds later above pig had been dealt with and was roasting over a small fire...

Lots eye candy, but the novelties may wear thin quickly if it remains more shooting gallery than story.

I just hope the following excerpt from the readme file is not meant to indicate the intelligence of their target market:

Quote[/b] ]***PLAYING THE GAME***

MAIN MENU

Campaign: Click here to start the demo

Options: Click here to choose options

Quit: Click here to quit the game.

Technically, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with less than half a gig of ram and at least 128MB on the VGA.  My Ti4200 experienced freezes when the VGA aperture was restricted to 64MB.

Considering how open and mod-friendly this game is I have hopes for a realism and tactical-filled mod some time.

When I was looking into some scripts and definitions-files I allmost thought I was looking in a description.ext file for OFP biggrin_o.gif

Would be nice if the community could create their own missions for the demo or open more things up like with Opf smile_o.gif

It's, ummm, shiny. Yeah. And if this is unscripted AI, I want my scripted AI back. All I'm saying is that these mercenaries must ride the short bus into battle. And I heard one of them call me a mofo... I'll repeat that. He called me a mofo. Keep in mind that, at the time he called me a mofo, I was attempting to kill him. The other day, I called a stranger 'cocksucker' for pausing too long at a traffic light- I somehow think that what I'd come up with for a would-be killer would be a little stronger than mofo.

But what the hell, it's kind of fun, just not really what I'm looking for.

@ Jan. 23 2004,06:08)]It's, ummm, shiny. Yeah. And if this is unscripted AI, I want my scripted AI back. All I'm saying is that these mercenaries must ride the short bus into battle. And I heard one of them call me a mofo... I'll repeat that. He called me a mofo. Keep in mind that, at the time he called me a mofo, I was attempting to kill him. The other day, I called a stranger 'cocksucker' for pausing too long at a traffic light- I somehow think that what I'd come up with for a would-be killer would be a little stronger than mofo.

But what the hell, it's kind of fun, just not really what I'm looking for.

I actually started crying when one of my enemies called me mofo... I mean people who kill hundreds upon hundreds of evil mercenaries have feelings too! We later talked it out with our M4's, I feel much better about myself now!

And yes, something stronger or better yet no "taunts" at all. The AI screaming out as soon as they spot you makes the game too easy. Also when someone comes from your six yelling it makes it less dangerous as you can turn around and shoot him before he finishes his two word sentence.

The single player demo is still goddamn tough to beat at normal level. The graphics however rock. The phyics engine is the best so far and the sound is realy ....realy realy incredible! smile_o.gif

Couple of unofficial patches/fixes out......

http://lizardtalk.dyndns.org/z_sharked_fix.pak

(fixes missing shark & jeep)

Realism Mod

http://lizardtalk.dyndns.org/TyRealism_010.pak

To install, simply place it in your main FarCry directory

Game

-- Damage rules tweaked. AI does equal damage to player and vice versa

-- Armor only blocks 50% of damage

-- Health packs often heal less

Weapons

-- Increased recoil on most weapons

-- Fire rate no longer affects accuracy or damage

-- Tweaked damage on all weapons

-- Tweaked range on all weapons

-- Tweaked ammo pickups for weapons

-- Grenades are actually explosive, 20 foot blast area

Vehicles

-- Tweaked buggy, should slip out a lot less now. Also a little weaker engine.

Credits to Tychon who created both (I think).

Info found at the Ubisoft Forums

Yeah I mentioned a bunch of pages back it looks a bit too shiny and plastic sad_o.gif