Sign in to follow this  
AirwolfPL

Far cry's unscripted ai behaviour

There are more to come. The gfx are awesome if you see it all in motion.

I have 2800XP 1 Gig RAM and a Radeon 9700 Pro.

FarCry0032.jpg

FarCry0056.jpg

I like embedded screenshot key biggrin_o.gif

Sometimes the AI in Far Cry is outstanding and sometimes its so goddam stupid.

One time I stumbled on some mercs in the jungle. I took cover behind a tree and one of the mercs fired supressive fire and other two moved to my flanks. crazy_o.gif

Another time I heard loud roaring and went to look and found one of those big bazooka mutants standing in flames. It eventually died without me firing a shot. mad_o.gif

Lol, yes so true. We are absolutely the opposite to the US. You can see women stripping from 12:00 onwards on TV. Talkshows get realy dirty too. Even TV is somehow free. But the blame is all on the computergames.

FARCRY is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. It will take weeks till they publish a teddy-bear version for it. Not even an 16y version is available!

Hehe I went to store on friday and asked for it. He said I got last copy and took it from under the desk biggrin_o.gif

I like it.

You can go for the uncensored version with german synch in austria I guess.

you can always buy it off the net can't you? i think some U.S. retail shops might ship to counties outside the U.S. or you could find a American service man stationed in Germany and ask him nicely and he might hook you up w/ the uncensored version as most U.S. military bases usually have stores, and retail shops for their personal living on the base. smile_o.gif

I never had any problem to get the uncut version of any game. Ebay or Amazon are nice.

and it can be cheaper since your not paying a retail price

well, on your reccomendations I picked it up today. It is definitely fun, and that's good enough for me. And everything's so... shiny. Mmmmm...

I have a shitload of RL work, so of course I had to pick up a copy today  crazy_o.gif

Anyway, I like it. The graphics are amazing. The atmosphere is good. Ragdolls and other sfx are nice. Physics is.. um.. well.. never mind. I think it serves as a worthy successor to Half Life. It ain't no OFP, but it's fun in the more conventional shoot-em-up genre.

My system is barely adequate (2400+, 512 mb, GF3) but setting most things on medium and running at 1024x768 is smooth (without FSAA unfortunately). Still, it looks very nice.

Edit: As for uncensored versions, I suggest for the Germans (who are the only ones AFIK that have censorship on games) to order from any other EU country. Shipping costs are generally the same between all EU states.

Lol, yes so true. We are absolutely the opposite to the US. You can see women stripping from 12:00 onwards on TV.

I'm moving. unclesam.giftounge_o.gif

shiny yes biggrin_o.gif Right expression. Looks like in a common holliday cataloque. Dont forget germans just Loooooove hollidays. Expenditure wise we are world champions so what else would you expect than nice thai beaches?

Also, dont forget that this shiny is a great way to introduce new DirectX9.0 features. The sun and the night are so great that your screen seems to be too bright.

Also, german developers are too scared to bring in a "german" touch so they think the best way to follow international taste is to introduce Barbie standards.

But besides that. it is a great engine for a small company, it has breathtaking effects for a small company. AND WHO would expect a small company to challenge big corporations in the area of graphics.

Once again it shows (without any stupid german pride I say this) it doesnt allways need lots of money to deliver a good product.

Still: points of criticism:

Too short

Multiplayer is a bit lame

But the sounds. Did you ever expect that your stupid 2-speaker system could create such a dolby surround. The sound of the M16 makes me shiver.

You can change the rendermodes in the console:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">\r_rendermode

1-Regular

2-Cold colors

3-Cel Shade

4-BRIGHT(Can't see anything)

example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">\r_rendermode 3

Why are you comparing this game to OPF? It's like apples and oranges.

OPF is a realistic soldier sim, and Far Cry is a game where you fight monsters and demons.

so far, no one has compared it to OFP.

edit: I still can't get over the mercenaries calling me a mofo.

Merc: You're gonna die, mofo!

Me: Huh?

Merc: You know, mofo. Kind of a short way of saying motherfucker.

Me: Ah, fo' shizzle. *Bang*

PLENTY of people have compared Far Cry to OPF in this thread.

Look at the first couple of pages.

Damn, I tried the links on the front pages, neither of them worked.

I found the Far Cry website though, downloaded the demo. Took about 2 hours. Tried opening it, and it said there was an error. That my windows "opening" mechanism was not functioning properly.

Hold on a second. You haven't even played the demo yet, and you're dictating to other people what they can and can't compare the game to? At any rate, those comments earlier in the thread were made months ago (check the dates), and were made with the following information: a movie, some screenshots, and a similar looking game (OFP) that all of us happen to play which serves as a convenient benchmark, what with it kicking ass and all. Besides, most of those comments are talking about the differences between the two games and, I hate to be a language nazi about this (no I don't), but that's not comparing, that's contrasting.

Hehe he judged addons for OFP the same way. Never tried them but has an opinion. Funny guy.

Here are some more pics:

FarCry0070.jpg

FarCry0072.jpg

FarCry0077.jpg

FarCry0079.jpg

The game gets very hard on high difficulty settings. I´m having a hard time right now.

many people compare WWII with WWI, and they have never been there!  tounge_o.gif  How dare they?

Damn, I had every single demo (including the shark addon, the editior, the paraglider bla bla bla) I was just too stupid to get the game in time!  crazy_o.gif

lol, did you shoot this guy on the toilet because as it appears he didnt want to sit but stand while pssssssssss!

Quote[/b] ]lol, did you shoot this guy on the toilet because as it appears he didnt want to sit but stand while pssssssssss!

No he was taken to toilet by some very weird creature biggrin_o.giftounge_o.gif

I like FarCry alot except the Trigens. IMO the Trigens ruined everything.

btw FarCry is'nt the only game with mutants.

I killed one in OFP the other day too:

mutant.jpg

I'm slowly making progress in the sandbox. Quite easy to use, only my imagination is the problem.

Anyone else working on a SP/coop-map?

Well actually I like those mutant apes. biggrin_o.gif

Its so nice when you drive along a dark road , crash your vehicle in to a tree and see ten of those monkeys roaming in the under growth.

Gives you that nice "F*ck, f*ck got to get out of here fast!" feeling. tounge_o.gif

Far Cry is actually only game where I end up shooting magazine of bullets in to a gas leak thinking its one of those invisible mutos.

I wasn't too fond about the mutants at first, but I must admit that they really add to the atmosphere. Don't think OFP here. Think HalfLife meets Jurassic Park.

The lighting effects are great with those 'fiends'. (come on, they are the fiends from Quake 1!)

Walking into a dark room, with a slatted window blind allowing light to shine in illuminating the blood slicked floor, and then suddenly a large shadow gets cast onto the floor through the window. You turn.... and then fire 3 clips and a grenade into the other room while shrieking like a girl.

Being stuck in the middle of nowhere with the those bastards growling around you is rather harrowing. I was so glad to see Mercs again later on, even if they were being torn to bits by mutants.

As for favourite weapon, has to be a toss up between the G36 and a P90.