Sign in to follow this  
AirwolfPL

Far cry's unscripted ai behaviour

But isnt it great to know what performance OFP2 could have with my current computer if it would be optimised for current hardware? Okay, view distance 2500m, that even would kill Far Cry!  biggrin_o.gif Our computers can take so much more if the software would just be better adapted. The "law of the minimum" must be applied. Each single component of the PC must be used to equal capacity, like that no single part can slow down the system!

Actually I am extremely dissapointed with FarCry. Except for really nice graphbics this game is quite crap. AI is worse that OFP and definititely way worse that the developers claimed, gameplay is boring and has been done many times before, inside levels are just a joke.... etc. Hopefully someone will release a good mod for it soon, cause otherwise it is going to die fast.... sad_o.gif

For a mod maker Anti Christ I think your being way too narrow minded in terms of the AI.

Remember that the AI in Far Cry is completley dynamic, it will always react differently to the situation, meaning every time you play through the game acts differently, although still linear in mission a- mission b etc.

I'm glad the AI is something totally from the norm, no more way points, no more triggers, just anchors to let the ai know what terrain and objects is in its vicinity.

Ahh bliss, if only this was possible in OFP crazy_o.gif

*walks away mumbling dribble of AI east crew taking over damaged abrams and using them against you.*

For a mod maker Anti Christ I think your being way too narrow minded in terms of the AI.

Remember that the AI in Far Cry is completley dynamic, it will always react differently to the situation, meaning every time you play through the game acts differently, although still linear in mission a- mission b etc.

I'm glad the AI is something totally from the norm, no more way points, no more triggers, just anchors to let the ai know what terrain and objects is in its vicinity.

Ahh bliss, if only this was possible in OFP crazy_o.gif

*walks away mumbling dribble of AI east crew taking over damaged abrams and using them against you.*

It's kinda funny if you read this topic title and then have a look at any of the original maps biggrin_o.gif

Because the AI in FarCry is far from unscripted wink_o.gif

I did a little AI-experiment. I removed all the helpers like forbidden area, hideable object-markers and waypoints just to show the true AI in this game.

Let me just say that I was far from impressed biggrin_o.gif

So those who still thinks the AI in Farcry is unscripted, have a look in the Sandbox tounge_o.gif

OFP's "natural" AI still kicks FarCry's butt.

What do you say about this then?

"What do you say about this then? "

That the AI isnt scripted. When talking about scripted AI it is commonly assumed that one means an AI that always acts and operates in the same way, kicked off by scripted events.

Like, when you pass point A the AI is magically alerted and starts moving along path X, to point Y where he does action B. When you pass point T, he returns to point A etc. Thats a scripted event. There are not many of those in Far Cry, and its a fact.

Yes, there are anchors that tell the AI what the environment looks like, but that isnt a script, since it allows them a "choice" that is unique each time.

I mean I admit that scripting can sometimes make things realy smarter. And often these Far Cry Morons dont see you, shoot each other. I admit that.

But

once they see you they usually hide and chose a relatively good point for cover, that does not mean the rock that is nearest to them. If you attack a village give them a bit time. And soon you will see soldier circling around you from the left AS WELL AS from the right. In certain aspects it cant keep up with scripted behaviour but at least it is the beginning of what AI is realy about!

Be happy that they run so slowly and aim so badly. You wouldnt survive for long otherwise  blues.gif

Why?

I can predict their moves anyway, so hitting them is'nt a big problem. smile_o.gif

I can not predict OFP's AI....

All in all, I'm much more impressed by OFP's 3 year old AI, though FarCry comes in on a good 2nd place in my book.

I can predict their moves anyway, so hitting them is'nt a big problem

No, that is exactly the point. YOU CANT! And I can give you scenes in which the AI will act differently every time! We can discuss about their smartness, but not about the spontaneous reactions!

Don't put words in my mouth. Just because you may not be able to predict their movement does'nt mean I can't do it either.

i can predict there moves just fine, they usually come after you so you just back up and wait at some narrow area and they will all come single file and bam bam bam. With them taking cover behidn rocks they always emerge from cover the same way, eg they dont seem to pop out the other side of the rock shoot duck then the other side.

Just out of interest, what difficulty level are you guys playing at?

I've played the game on easy and normal (all the way) and some on the hardest.

The AI-logic is not affected by the difficulty. Only the amount of damage you take and their aim is affected.

think it vaires the difficulty depending on how well youre doing abit like max payne 2 i think ie the ai become better shots and the bullets hurt more if youre doing well and the opposite if youre not

i can predict there moves just fine, they usually come after you so you just back up and wait at some narrow area and they will all come single file and bam bam bam. With them taking cover behidn rocks they always emerge from cover the same way, eg they dont seem to pop out the other side of the rock shoot duck then the other side.

Thats funny. In my Far Cry AI is actually very good. They take cover and I cant never predict on what side do they emerge next. They pop up, shoot a small burst and get behind cover.

They really are much better that OFP AI in my opinion.

i like the ai in far cyr i think it good but i think the comparison between far cry and opf is abit unfair a proper comparion would be to test the two ai's in similar situations and see what one reacts better im thinking sanbox editor and mission eidtior in ofp here

Yep you cant really compare two games like OFP and Far Cy as they are so different.

Actually I dont know why I just did so. crazy_o.gif

thats why i was talking about the level editor and mission editor if ofp that way we can give them the exact same situation to deal with smile_o.gif

Yep you cant really compare two games like OFP and Far Cy as they are so different.

Actually I dont know why I just did so.  crazy_o.gif

Yes you can.

What is there to possibly compare?  First of all these two games run on completely different game engines, meaning the AI for both Far Cry and Flashpoint has a completely different code written into the AI scripting.  I am sure that's a no brainer.  You cannot compare the two, but contrast.

What happens when I unload 60 rounds at an enemy in Flashpoint?  He spins around in a circle...runs 50 meters away from me, drops on his belly, stands back up, turns around, runs towards me, does a 360, and slowly walks around aimlessly.  In Far Cry, the enemy uses his KEYWORDS: ENVIORMENT AND SURROUNDINGS for cover.  Barrels, Rocks, Tree stumps, Monkeys, Apes and Gorillas , whatever there may be for cover.

(not saying the AI in Flashpoint acts like this at all times)

Both games have a completely different structure I think personally.  Not saying the AI in OFP is dumb, but it could definately be better.  Admit it, those soldiers do some pretty dumb things.

yeah but far crys ai isnt a patch on ofp when super johnny/ evil johnny makes an appearance

I just don't believe that AI that strafes is even close to being realistic or good! wink_o.gif