Sign in to follow this  
waffendennis

What keep's you playing ofp

Well Like the title say's: What keep's you intrestted in OFP?

It's like almost 4 years ago we heard from OFP and played the first demo ever and posted in the First forums....And now almost 4 years later we still have the same comunity. ( not all some are gone but most of them still here )

So give some info about it and wy you are still playing OFP and what is keeping you on this.

My thing:

The comunity It's just like having a second big family with the daily family things and the Moderators as our parents smile_o.gif

And The new addons that still are amazing me...

Well You know what it is:

Never undererastimate the power of a old horse tounge_o.gif

THe old Herc-200 wink_o.gif

cause its SO FUCKIN GREAT blues.gif

eisa01 aka shoot_me from the gamespy days biggrin_o.gif

The fact that every mission can have a different turn of events? War is never predictable, neither is it scripted.

The fact that you can pull of impressive feats in almost every mission (like err, I shot down 2 Hind-Ds with a LAW once. I was well cuffed biggrin_o.gif ), and the wide variety of vehicles too.

Oh, and that Mission Editor. Still learnig how to get the damn boat to move when my group of soldiers board it crazy_o.gif

Organized online play, and the lack of anything remotely resembling direct competition even on the horizon. OFP has found a niche very close to my heart, and I don't see it going anywhere at least until OFP2 comes out.

The AI are very realistic in OFP. They are almost real. The fact that you can make your own missions and write your own scripts. It's the scripting in OFP that got me interested in programming again.

The community, the forums and of course the excellent addons released (or yet to be released) by BAS, FDF, Invasion44, BW mod, Falklands mod, Martin, ...

And last but not least, the support of BIS (their patches, Suma's answers on the forums, the release of tools like oxygen and visitor, ...)

wink_o.gif

The combination of a great game with lots of possibilities and playing online twice a week with my squad of friends smile_o.gif

I think 2 features of the game keep me playing OFP

-The AI , always impressive for a game that take place in those kind of huge map/island

-The mission editor , is good enough to create any kind of quick mission that i will enjoy , fun even when i am not in the mood to make a more complex mission .

The easy-to-use mission editor is really for me what keep me hooked

Let's see..

1. Reasonable MP games, ofp is probably the only online game where I can join a public server and except people to follow my orders.

2. Addons/MODs, FDFmod really made me play this game once again. tounge_o.gif

3. Graphics, even though they are not pretty, the ofp engine can still render incredible looking landscapes, especially now when computers have become even more powerful. smile_o.gif

And yes, the mission editor rocks. biggrin_o.gif

Geez Waffen, you freak me out! wink_o.gif I just entered general forum with the idea to make EXACTLY the same question/thread! No B/S!

So here it goes, my reasons for still playin OFP;

-OFP rocks

-OFP rocks

-I only just begun to understand the real possiblities of the mission editor.

- A.I. still scares the living daylights out of me...once in a while

- The Resistance campaign is something I'll start up on my PVIII 30 Gig when i am old and grey, i really, really love it.

-Addons, addons, addons. I am a addon junkie. There, I said it. LOL! So many things thought not possible have been made succesfully into a cool shiny addon. They are like presents biggrin_o.gif

-Its gonna be a loooong time before we get OFP 2. Untill then i'll stick with this one.

-Any game outperforming OFP will need three times the processing power i currently own sad_o.gif

-OFP rocks.

well for me its coz u can never complete this game coz there is no end with all these cutom missions and campaigns u never get tired of it and thats y i play it..

Its Modibility and BIS's support has kept us all here otherwise who would be seen dead playing for 3 years with those old 1985 soldiers and always killing Guba isnt fun anymore biggrin_o.gif

What keep's you intrestted in OFP?

- The hot chicks

- Naked wednesdays

- The modability ofcourse.. unclesam.gif

Well for me it is :

1. The good contact and respect BIS showed / shows towards the fans ( espescially when I was one of the early people on AndOne`s site long time before the release ) .

2. All the different mods / addons , from single weapons . units to total conversions

3. Of course the addon packs " Red Hammer " and " Resistance "

4. Large surroundings gives a feeling no other game has come close to

5. The interaction between sea , air and land units

6. The mission editor which allows even not so skilled people

( like me ) to make very simple yet funny and enjoyable

situations

7. The fact that one can only save once during a mission ,

keeps you on your toes crazy_o.gif

8. Mulitple ways of executing a mission

9. Enjoyable bullet ballistics in-game

10. Good Ai , even today 2 1/2 years later

The community

The developers.  (It's not often you get a game with developers that will actually talk to you, the people who play the game.)

The gameplay

The storylines

The organized MP (atleast in a squad)

The multi-roles.  You can use choppers, cars, tanks, etc etc.

The easy ingame editing/scripting

The list goes on.... and on... and on....

smile_o.gif

1.The Community Of Course.Never have i been so Pleased if someone Responds To a Thread...

2.The Add-ons[Vietnam Units,Island].

3.When I Look at VBS Screenshots,and Then Look At Community Photos of Add-ons, It Makes Me Glad To Be Playing The Public Version Of Flashpoint...

4.The Fact That When You Make Missions,You Don't Have To Program The AI To Shoot At You[unlike in Delta Force Where you Have To Tell Each Idiot That Your The Enemy].

5.Because There Are 4 Sides Instead of 1 good side and 1 bad side...It's Nice To Play as a Civilian Farmer Once In Awhile.

6.It's The First Game Where I Have Been Able To Make Missions That I Can Play Across My Home LAN...

7.It's The First Game Where I have Been Able To Make Missions, Period!!.....And Let others play them, it's Great!!!

8.It Feels Great To Join An Online Server And Play Co-op With a Squad,Or Group Of People From Other Countrys[i've Made Friends in Different Countrys and i've never left the USA!!

9.BIS,Because They Made My Dream Game!![i Remember playing with green plastic army men, and saying to my self,

it would be so cool if we could play as them in a game!

and Here it is the life size version of GI Joes&Army Men!!! smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif  I will continue to play Flashpoint&Flashpoint 2

When it is Released!!!!!

By The Way The Flashpoint Community Feels Like My Second Family biggrin_o.gif

8.It Feels Great To Join An Online Server And Play Co-op With a Squad,Or Group Of People From Other Countrys[i've Made Friends in Different Countrys and i've never left the USA!!

9.BIS,Because They Made My Dream Game!![i Remember playing with green plastic army men, and saying to my self,

it would be so cool if we could play as them in a game!

and Here it is the life size version of GI Joes&Army Men!!! smile_o.gif  smile_o.gif  I will continue to play Flashpoint&Flashpoint 2

When it is Released!!!!!

By The Way The Flashpoint Community Feels Like My Second Family biggrin_o.gif

gotta agree on those points. smile_o.gif

I can't even explain why I still play OFP. Most of my friends think I'm crazy because of it though. I have not purchased a game in two years because of OFP (except Resistance, and then GOTY Edition, so I could play w/ my brother at home).

I guess it's because there is not a limit to the missions or addons. If I get tired of BIS's units, then I can swap to BAS's, or to I44's, or to the NamPack. Then there is always the challenge of missionmaking or scripting. And slowly learning what the config files do.

Simlpy, it's the most limitless game I've ever played. The only game I liked this much was X-Wing Alliance, and that was only because I knew how to use the unofficial mission editor. And OFP is so much better. It was everything I was looking for in a game (coming from the Delta Force series... I just picked up the box and I wanted it)

I'm definitely going to buy OFP2, since it will probably be the only game to compare. But I'll be playing OFP until that day, and probably then some. smile_o.gif

MSMS_KDxer pretty much nailed what I was going to say..

At one time I was purchasing games left and right (I mean I have a shit load of games) almost all war related in one way or another(flight sims and FPS's... Rogue Spear for example).Still wasn't satisfied. Was always looking for THE ONE and then I heard about it from a soon to be released write up and followed it.

The demo came out and I was at the store looking for it the next day, nope hold it,that afternoon lol. I had to wait months for it to come in but when it did....

I was blown away by it and still am. Almost limitless freedom.

If you like tanks: It is a very good tank sim.

If you like choppers : It is a great chopper sim.(forcefeed back yet)

If you like shooters : This is the one.

If you like some serious strategy and command mixed up in all this great stuff it's there.

If you like editing and making missions to share or just like to set yourself up for a ass whoopin and still make it out alive it's there.

If your alittle stressed from work or whatever nothing beats blowing the shit out of stuff to take your mind of things for a 1/2 hr or so.

The community is second to none..Talk about ambitious talented people out there. Scripters,addon makers, mission makers. The game was great all by itself but by doing a small download all of a sudden I have a WW2 sim or a Modern day Special Op's sim or a Vietnam War sim with all the freedoms that came with the game and more all because of these generous people. I have only two sims on my hard drive now.OFP cold war crisis/Resistance and one other title that rocks and deserves mention.. IL-2 Sturmovick/Forgotten Battles. I have looked at alot of sims but have bought none other than IL2 for YEARS now..(truly amazing feat in itself).

Soo.. What keeps me playing?

How about this scenario. You get choppered to a LZ in the night,in the rain yet. You are to take the town which is loaded with heavily armed soldiers and armour. These guys see you and your dead. You order your team prone/holdfire and to find cover in the foilage outside of town. You get up closer and scan the town scoping as many enemies as you can for your unit. You delegate your targets accordingly amounst your unit. They are ready. Hit open fire and if you did it right it's over in 30 seconds...If not you always can hit retry.

Thats what I'm talkin bout smile_o.gif

Thanks for listenin.

Powerhour

www.actionallies.com

Because it mixes realistic gameplay with huge detailed and beautyfull islands, vehicals actually feel like we are inside them and not glued to its front (BF...cough...), and i dont play a game just because it has a great comunity, i guess were just lucky in that department, perhaps superior software apeals to better people, this game feels good smile_o.gif .

I can't figure out in which way this is not the greatest game ever made.

1. Graphics? Well no you can always mod it to make better graphics, same with sound.

2. Only 32 people in MP? Well no because most people don't have fast internet so it would be too restrictive if more were allowed.

3. Limited turn speed, translating to "clunky control"? Well no, realism always wins when everything else is set up in the mission for maximum immersion. Also adds a learning curve so you can continue to get better at controlling vehicles for a long time.

4. Lack of ingame MP joining? Well the xbox version will have that, to accomodate everyone who wants more arcade style play - but all those people just play console games anyway.

5. Can get boring? Oh forgot about time acceleration key. Also it is impossible to play all of the missions that are released. This was true even with the demo, before the game came out.

6. Animation? Has anyone ever really cared that the magazine didn't actually come out?

7. Must be limited saves? But everyone knows the savegame cheat!

So what doesn't make OFP perfect seems to be the better question, but I can't think of anything.

Basically, what everyone has said above.

But it's the games almost limitless capabilities.

Sure theres some niggly little issues, but these have been slowly ironed out in consultation with the community. Something too few game developers do.

They, Bohemia Interactive Studios, and I use their full name out of complete respect, have made a game that sits perfectly in the spot of my ideal game. They made it easy to modify so that almost anyone with some moddling and/or texturing and/or config skills can have a go (Oxygen, Visitor etc), made the gameplay realistic enough to turn most C/Sers off from it, and as a result, the community supporting the game is of very high standards.

All these elements combined make OFP one of the most playable games of all time. 'Nuf Said smile_o.gif

I can get in a car, drive around an island ... look up the clock and notice its 8 hours later! I havent been playing missions ... i have just been messing around smile_o.gif what game do you know which does that?