Sign in to follow this  
tankieboy

A-1 skyraider

raidertex.jpg

Looking forward to having this in the Nam Support Pack.

Tigershark its a great model so please ignore any stupid coments by others and carry on making this please.

Respect,

tankieboy

before Tiger gets all the credit, I uh... helped him quite a bit to get the textures to this point :P

That's so incredibly awesome.

Everyone who worked on it gets a point, and now my seals get a skyraider... er.. ebud's seals.

Speaking of which, ebud, which values do I poke in oxygen to increase the seal 'armor' on their bodies? Thanks. :P

(Wanna make these buggers harder to kill).

Just to clear up some possible misconseptions.

1. It is a retexture of Footmunchs A-1 skyraider.

2. Ebud has been assisting me as of yesterday in refining the textures better.

3. It is a work in progress...things will continue to change and be tweaked. These are merely progress pics.

4. I wont be changing the model, adding weaponry, or anything like that. I just love this plane so much I wanted to see a nice reskin of it to bring Foot's model to a cosmetically accurate model.

5. Footmunch has emailed me and he seems pleased with the reskin.

6. I believe Foot has already talked with the Nam pack team (many of which are BAS members....including Ebud) about getting this into the next nam pack update. So I guess I'm helping Foot, helping myself and helping get a Skyraider into the Nam pack.

7. There seems to be some confusion from the last thread....when I said "you know what...this was a bad idea" I did not mean I was going abandon the project....just the posting of pics of it. Simply because people were going "constructively criticise" something that was not even complete. If I had made that post in the completed addons forum, I would have readily accepted what people had to say....but as it was incomplete "constructive criticism" was a little premature.

So just to clear that up....I was never abandoning the reskin...just the posting of pics in this forum.

Thanks Tankie for starting this up again.

Look at the detail! Byoo-teeful (as per usual)!

The old Skyraider textures, while good, needed some work & I'm grateful someone's risen to the challenge...

Great stuff guys, can't wait till the next release of the Nam Pack smile_o.gif

Any chance that we might see a Navy or SVAF skin? Did the Marines use the Skyraider? Or is this particular variant only a US Air Force one? I'm not too good with planes. I can tell an F-18 from a MiG-29, but that's about it. crazy_o.gif

I'll try and make a public beta available soon as these pics don't really do it justice. On another note......Footmunch asked if I was going to re-release this under a tigershark or BAS banner.

I plan on maker the tan color darker...and if you notice the horizontal stabilizer, it is pretty raw...the green needs to be adjusted and the panel lines need to be toned down...as well as lighting added to the texture there.

I would like to leave this a Footmunch addon, with simply a mention in the readme to retexturing by Ebud and myself. So I guess it will be a Footmunch Skyraider ver. 2 or something when we are done.

Out of interest...can someone take a screen of Footmunches original textures so we can see just how much better (or worse) this skin is?

Any chance that we might see a Navy or SVAF skin? Did the Marines use the Skyraider? Or is this particular variant only a US Air Force one? I'm not too good with planes. I can tell an F-18 from a MiG-29, but that's about it. crazy_o.gif

I definitely want to do a Navy skin...and should be relatively easy after Ebud and I have finished this skin...just a matter of removing the camo and finding the right gray for it.

The Marines did use them....but not like the Navy and USAF did for CSAR and Special Ops.

So don't hold your breath for a Marine version...but I have a pretty cool Navy version planned with nice livery.

The Marines did use them....but not like the Navy and USAF did for CSAR and Special Ops.

What, CAS isn't sexy enough for you? tounge_o.gifsmile_o.gifwink_o.gif

BTW - how were they used for SpecOps? Kind of like an old-school SOAR, where they provided CAS to SpecOps units?

What, CAS isn't sexy enough for you? tounge_o.gifsmile_o.gif  wink_o.gif

BTW - how were they used for SpecOps? Kind of like an old-school SOAR, where they provided CAS to SpecOps units?

Exactly...they were used as on call CAS for Army Special Forces as they infiltrated and exfiltrated Laos, Cambodia and the Ho Chi Minh trail. This particular Spad is from the 602nd Special Operations Squadron, Tail code TT.

Keep spamming and I'll PR you. And stop calling attention to my drinking habits. I'm not driving and you're not my mom. smile_o.giftounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Ah. Qui interessant. smile_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]§7)Write in English

In the English part of the board write in English and in the Czech write in Czech. Try avoiding writing in any other language since the majority of the members most likely won't understand it.

Rule breaker yourself, I see! tounge_o.gif

Looking good TS and Ebud...

PS: 3rd post. I'm so proud.

PPS: I would have opted for a more interesting post count reduction, such as -910239 or -704

From a website on the A-1...selected passages:

The Skyraider experience was far from over, however. USAF units began flying the Skyraider in Vietnam in 1964 and by the end of 1972, the last of the A-1s of the 1st Special Operations Squadron were turned over to the VNAF and the rest, as they say, is history. In those eight years of operations, the Air Force used the Skyraider for a variety of missions. There were A-1 squadrons which flew exclusively at night to interdict truck traffic along the Ho Chi Mihn trail. Other squadrons were supporting General Vang Pao and his loyalists in Laos. Army special operations were also supported by A-1s on priority missions. The common bond between all A-1 squadrons was SAR. In my opinion, there could not have had a better aircraft for the search and rescue mission than the A-1 Skyraider.

Still another high priority mission for the 1st SOS in the final year was support of "special operations" in Laos. These were protecting the insertion and extraction of special teams in the border area. These missions could either be boring as hell or so busy that you wished you had another set of hands.

Welcome Blackdog...nice to see new faces around here. Enjoy your time at the official forums and be polite and nice and one day you'll get a nice big post count.

Welcome Blackdog...nice to see new faces around here. Enjoy your time at the official forums and be polite and nice and one day you'll get a nice big post count.

Thank you Sir Tigershark. I am honered to be welcomed by you. I will try my hardest to be polite, nice, and a good boy and maybe I will be popular (gasp) before OFP2!

Well, seeing as the 'Sandy's' co-worker in SAR missions was the HH-53 'Super Jolly', will we be seeing any reskins of the CH-53 that was done by skorpio?

I say this, only because without one, the other wouldn't have a job. And I'm sure we would all like to see the Skyraider performing it's role to a tee.

From the photos I have, not from the Net mind you. Skyraiders, from a few squadrons had tail designations TT, TC and TS, in  black or white writing, with a 3 number serial(?) code underneath.

They also operated with gray FAC Bronco's.

*edit* Found more Tail Codes if anyones interested

'Current' Texture by Digital Centurion:

sr_1.jpg

Tiger: I forgot to ask - this is a PAA/PAC re-tex, and not

JPG, right?

I'll say again, if anyone wants to re-tex any of the addons,

please do: it means less work for me. If the texture is better

or offers a different scheme, I will try and include it asap.