Sign in to follow this  
tankieboy

A-1 skyraider

LOL...I think the point of Ebuds post was to make everyone realise....as I stated in my initial post, that this has been a joint retexture between Ebud and myself.

Save some praise for him please :-)

Wow nice textures , and finally now i can call in airstrikes for Air Cav soldiers biggrin_o.gif

Kudos to TS .....and Ebud too tounge_o.gif

amazing great work again TS,Edbud shame that the napalm is a bitch to script.

LOL...I think the point of Ebuds post was to make everyone realise....as I stated in my initial post, that this has been a joint retexture between Ebud and myself.

Save some praise for him please :-)

Whoops, biggrin_o.gif didn't intentially mean to leave you out in my praise for the Skyraider, ebud. tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

OK, just to make sure noone else gets left out in my praise for this addon, I want to thank BIS for developing and supporting our favourite game, Codemasters for publishing it, the guy on the production line at Gateway for.................... tounge_o.gif

Well, Thanks to everyone who has ever had a helping hand to give Ebud, Tigershark and Footmunch the tools necessary to bring us this great addon.

I am literally drooling on my keyboard as I go over the pics once more. I thank you all! smile_o.gif

From a website on the A-1...selected passages:

The Skyraider experience was far from over, however. USAF units began flying the Skyraider in Vietnam in 1964 and by the end of 1972, the last of the A-1s of the 1st Special Operations Squadron were turned over to the VNAF and the rest, as they say, is history. In those eight years of operations, the Air Force used the Skyraider for a variety of missions. There were A-1 squadrons which flew exclusively at night to interdict truck traffic along the Ho Chi Mihn trail. Other squadrons were supporting General Vang Pao and his loyalists in Laos. Army special operations were also supported by A-1s on priority missions. The common bond between all A-1 squadrons was SAR. In my opinion, there could not have had a better aircraft for the search and rescue mission than the A-1 Skyraider.

Still another high priority mission for the 1st SOS in the final year was support of "special operations" in Laos. These were protecting the insertion and extraction of special teams in the border area. These missions could either be boring as hell or so busy that you wished you had another set of hands.

IIRC there was actually a version of the Spad which could carry a small number of passengers (I think it was 4 or 6), perhaps this is the version which was used with Special Forces for insertion/extraction... smile_o.gif

If it's bigger in size and detail than footmunch's a-1, then I still like his better, for functionality reasons. Still.. nice work.

From a website on the A-1...selected passages:

The Skyraider experience was far from over, however. USAF units began flying the Skyraider in Vietnam in 1964 and by the end of 1972, the last of the A-1s of the 1st Special Operations Squadron were turned over to the VNAF and the rest, as they say, is history. In those eight years of operations, the Air Force used the Skyraider for a variety of missions. There were A-1 squadrons which flew exclusively at night to interdict truck traffic along the Ho Chi Mihn trail. Other squadrons were supporting General Vang Pao and his loyalists in Laos. Army special operations were also supported by A-1s on priority missions. The common bond between all A-1 squadrons was SAR. In my opinion, there could not have had a better aircraft for the search and rescue mission than the A-1 Skyraider.

Still another high priority mission for the 1st SOS in the final year was support of "special operations" in Laos. These were protecting the insertion and extraction of special teams in the border area. These missions could either be boring as hell or so busy that you wished you had another set of hands.

IIRC there was actually a version of the Spad which could carry a small number of passengers (I think it was 4 or 6), perhaps this is the version which was used with Special Forces for insertion/extraction... smile_o.gif

I thought the spec ops were inserted by helicopter with the A-1 providing covering ground fire for a hot LZ, AFAIK the passenger carrying version was just used as transport between bases.

Quote[/b] ]In 1963, the U.S. Air Force began a program to modify the Navy's AD-5 Skyraider for service in Vietnam and re-designated it the A-1E. In the aircraft's middle compartment can be readily equipped with passenger seats, facilities for litters or provisions for carrying heavy cargo.