Sign in to follow this  
SKULLS_Viper

Man killed by teen video gamers

In Norway ALOT of people own guns and even so very few people get killed every year in gun related crime .

Norway does have quite a high rate of gun related crime per capita. At one point I think it was 2nd highest in Europe.

And even when they do , the weapons are often from the black-market .

Or a mentally unstable Homeguard Reservist getting his gun out of the gun-locker and killing his family, which has happened quite a few times over the last few years.

Quote[/b] ]In Britian the average officer is not armed, but we have reaction teams and our version of SWAT and i beleive they are ranked pretty high compared to law enforcement groups of the same type.

Britian actually has the only police force in the world where the average police officer doesn't carry a gun under any circumstances. This is left to fire-arms officers that are specially trained to use weapons. In Norway the police weapons are locked away, but taken out when necessary. I must admit that i prefer the way Britian does it.

As Robin Williams once said about policemen in Britian:

Quote[/b] ]In Britain the police don't have guns. When confronting criminals the policeman simply shouts:

Stop, or I'll have to say stop again!"

biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

I recall Finland being the second most armed nation of europe and we have homicide rate of 2.3/100000 compared to USAs 9.?/100000 IIRC.

And we dont trust our reservists with assault rifles, better keep those shitty chinese AK-clones locked up before someone gets hurt. tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Or a mentally unstable Homeguard Reservist getting his gun out of the gun-locker and killing his family, which has happened quite a few times over the last few years.

In relation to the amount of overall crimes, its nothing. Its just reported more because its 'good' news. (for the media outlets)

Its a statistical abberance, not a pandemic result of firearm ownership.

How ironic that the defective kid makers are trying to sue the game makers.

You would think the victims families would instantly look at the parents.

I would feel very bad if my kids ever hurt anyone and your darn right its my fault if there were anything that I could have done to stop it, because I am legally,pysically and morally responsible for my children until they are of age.

Not to mention the fact I have been preparing them for society.

America is very messed up,when the child is a certain age they can tried in the courts as an adult, i suppose if you had a teen that is outta control things could be difficult for the parents,hard to know if the parents are genuine or part of the problem.

Reminds me of when my car got stolen by a teen that had already been caught for auto theft and was released to an adult.

Police wouldnt give me the minors name, and I said I didn't want the monirs name,they don't work and are broke,I want the adults name that was responsible for the known car thief that stole my car and obviously assumed financial responsibility should it happen again,well It doesn't work like that and parents have no responsibility

So if your child ever gets in trouble ,just sign away to the courts, they can release them back to you and you still don't have any responsibility for their actions

Quote[/b] ]Or a mentally unstable Homeguard Reservist getting his gun out of the gun-locker and killing his family, which has happened quite a few times over the last few years.

In relation to the amount of overall crimes, its nothing.  Its just reported more because its 'good' news. (for the media outlets)

Its a statistical abberance, not a pandemic result of firearm ownership.

Yes agree , the H.R doesn`t own the firearm , so it doesn`t relate to ownership .

Neither to accessability in my opinion since it is a military firearm kept for other purposes then a civilan would .

This isn't the gun control debate thread. Unless your comment is relevant to the topic (and I understand a certain amount of gun related discussion IS relevant in this thread), please search for a more appropriate thread. There are some out there...

-----

Anyway, I've always wondered about these bleeding hearts who claim that FPS (first person shooters) train people how to shoot. Unless you're using some kind of Playstation pistol-type controller, clicking a mouse button really doesn't translate to the actual operation of a gun, does it?

I'm very seriously condiering starting an online petition for gamers who have never committed a violent crime to sign...maybe if we show these idiots just how many STABLE gamers there are out there compared to the tiny number of nutjobs, they might start to open their eyes to the true facts. Lets face it, if you believed these tossers, you would assume there was an army of thousands of gun toting psychotic teen video game addicts out there, plotting to murder half the world's population... crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'm very seriously condiering starting an online petition for gamers who have never committed a violent crime to sign...maybe if we show these idiots just how many STABLE gamers there are out there compared to the tiny number of nutjobs, they might start to open their eyes to the true facts. Lets face it, if you believed these tossers, you would assume there was an army of thousands of gun toting psychotic teen video game addicts out there, plotting to murder half the world's population...

There are about 10 such petitions already. They do little, the flids that think games cause violence don't listen to reason. Emotional Appeals only.

the flids that think games cause violence don't listen to reason.  Emotional Appeals only.

You could always try beating it into them. biggrin_o.gif

A few months ago I read an intersting column regarding games learning kids to shoot guns. It was written by a U.S army colonel and he claimed that games do infact teach kids how to use guns. I was baffled at this... Not even once did he mention that many families in the U.S bring their kids to the shooting range. From what I hear even four year olds are sometimes brought to shooting ranges. What is a computer game going to teach you about guns when you have an entire arsenal availible on weekends, just bug your parents enough to bring you to the shooting range...

Guest DKM-jaguar
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, I've always wondered about these bleeding hearts who claim that FPS (first person shooters) train people how to shoot.

Of course it does. I mean, which game hasnt taught you how to reload a real rifle? Becuase obviously pressing R teaches you to put the saftey on, know where the magazine release catch is to press it, pull out the mag, put it where ever... pull a clean magazine out, put the magazine in the magazine housing, cock the weapon (becuase when you press 'R'/action menu "reload" it teaches you where this cocking leaver is located), release saftey catch, fire the weapon..

What teaches kids this is shooting at ranges (and in my case ACF) and what makes them shoot people is sheer stupidity.

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, I've always wondered about these bleeding hearts who claim that FPS (first person shooters) train people how to shoot.

Of course it does. I mean, which weapon hasnt taught you how to reload a real rifle? Becuase obviously pressing R teaches you to put the saftey on, know where the magazine release catch is to press it, pull out the mag, put it where ever... pull a clean magazine out, put the magazine in the magazine housing, cock the weapon (becuase when you press 'R'/action menu "reload" it teaches you where this cocking leaver is located), release saftey catch, fire the weapon..

What teaches kids this is shooting at ranges (and in my case ACF) and what makes them shoot people is sheer stupidity.

wow_o.gif Damn...! That's the kind of thing those critics need to see!

Also, FPS games teach you how to aim perfectly. After all, you just put a floating coloured crosshair over your target and away you go!

Pssscchhh!

Way back in the days of Doom, I've never felt the urge to get up and start massacarring people! Put your hand up if you have felt an urge to do that... (Frenchman puts his hand up)... okay... rock.gif

tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

Quote[/b] ]I mean, which game hasnt taught you how to reload a real rifle?

Hmm... Early versions of CS? I remember fondly how they had you pulling the Bolt-Assist Handle(?) on the M4A1. The Bolt-Assist Handle does not pull.

Hl only has an anim for the clip falling out and another just being stuck in. No cocking involved.

Guest DKM-jaguar

Of course it does. I mean, which weapon hasnt taught you how to reload a real rifle? Becuase obviously pressing R teaches you to put the saftey on, know where the magazine release catch is to press it, pull out the mag, put it where ever... pull a clean magazine out, put the magazine in the magazine housing, cock the weapon (becuase when you press 'R'/action menu "reload" it teaches you where this cocking leaver is located), release saftey catch, fire the weapon..

wow_o.gif Damn...! That's the kind of thing those critics need to see!

Also, FPS games teach you how to aim perfectly. After all, you just put a floating coloured crosshair over your target and away you go!

Pssscchhh!

Way back in the days of Doom, I've never felt the urge to get up and start massacarring people! Put your hand up if you have felt an urge to do that... (Frenchman puts his hand up)... okay... rock.gif

tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

hehe

Games also teach us that in all our daily lives there is someone watching us and building our house, giving us food, buying our belongings and basically controling us. Yet people don't blame games like The Sims for the cause of people with this veiw, only that these people are crazy and it's not thier fault. Some how guns make you sane then, as all of a sudden the disease is not to blame, but a computer game is as soon as they shoot someone..

Why don't they try playing games for themselves instead of trying to shut computer game companies down and giving games a bad name? mad_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

Guest DKM-jaguar

Well.. I played SOF today.. i don't suggest any critics see that.. biggrin_o.gif

But whatever happens these people will find some way of blaming someone other than those at fault. You could present them with undeniable evidence and they would still be against games. There is no winning against these people i suppose. (I've never met people specifically against violent games, but the same kind of people are against almost every activity the human race does, so i have spoken to a few..)

This is pretty interesting:

http://gr.bolt.com/articles/violence/violence.htm

doj_chart_1.gif

doj_chart_2.gif

doj_chart_3.gif

Seeing that how realistic these games are getting, it's odd that the rating has infact gone down.  Very odd indeed.

I think we all should just agree movies, TV, and videogames do anything to provoke a kid from shooting up a place.

Blame their lives, blame their parents.

Lets blame Sept. 11th and all the other suicide attacks on videogames. Let's blame bank robbery from 30 year old men on the movie Reservoir Dogs.

It just does not make sense.

When I was little and playing doom, I had no desire to pick up a real gun and shoot all my friends.

People need to understand that these drug addicted parents are those who provoke the violence we see in children. If these so called 'experts' can't get this into their stupid head, then perhaps new experts are needed.

The person who wrote that article couldnt have said it better.

KEYWORD: MEDIA EXPLOIT

Wow, who would´ve guessed that wow_o.gif

By following the "here and here and here" links i found this:

Quote[/b] ]Mr. Grossman ... warms all parents of kids playing Mortal Kombat, Doom or any game giving them a skill to kill.

Never heard such bullshit before, how can "up, down, up, down, select, block, triangle, circle" be regarded as training for real killing ? crazy_o.gif

lol that is wack...

One they shouldnt have been playing a (18) game, 2nd they shouldnt of had the gun, and thridly there parents must have brought them up badly.. crazy_o.gif argh u just want to kill people like that to make the world a better place..

This is pretty interesting:

Not interesting enough to bump a 2 year old thread though smile_o.gif