Sign in to follow this  
Shashman

Battlefield:vietnam

Spam comes from sharks? Interesting...

Anyway, I have yet to play either BF:1942 or BF:V, so I won't judge. I'm just curious as to whether the games are as bad as you all say, or are you all biased and spoiled by OFP? (like me biggrin_o.gif )

Anyway, I have yet to play either BF:1942 or BF:V, so I won't judge.  I'm just curious as to whether the games are as bad as you all say, or are you all biased and spoiled by OFP? (like me  biggrin_o.gif )

Yes

Please refrain from spamming the thread else post restrictions and increased warning levels will be necessary, if for whatever reason you don't like the thread go post in one you do smile_o.gif

as with any simulation there is snobbery smile_o.gif, its rampant in il2fb with the full difficulty vs any other possible setting.

I just went to the official site and watched the three videos that were on there. I did find it corny that each one had music from a Vietnam movie (in one it was Ride of the Valkyries [dont feel like checking the spelling] like in Apocalypse Now, in another it was that bird song that I remember from FMJ, and of course "Fortunate Son" by CCR which was in Forrest Gump.) Everything I saw was too cliche for my tastes. But again, for all I know, it could be a fun game to play.

I agree, at least UT2004 is not pretentious. It doesnt claim to be somewhat realistic. On the other hand it is extremely fast and there are too many professionals on the net. It might get frustrating for those of you with medium ego-shooter experience. Besides you need a perfect mouse and mousepad otherwise zero to no chance. Furthermore in UT2003 there were basically no cheater around!

there were cheats, but it did take them alot of time to crack the cheat protection, the ut2k4 demo didnt have the new cheatprotection but the full ut2k4 is sposed to have much improved protection. Tho i never encounted cheats in ut2k3, tho some new people might think the good players are cheating, the gap between good in bad is a big one.

Quote[/b] ]Depends how you define it.  However, like movies, some games are *good* regardless of how much you like them or not.  

Not sure I understand where you're coming from here as 'good' is a very personal definition. If I don't like something I tend not to class it as 'good'.

Quote[/b] ]Did anyone say they were?  What are you talking about?  The problem is the same as with pop music: it pollutes the environment of the rest of the games.  Companies start thinking that brainless no skill deathmatchathons are how to make money, and make their games more like that, resulting in lower quality games for everyone.

It would seem that they ARE they way to make money, and I'm sure anyone currently playing something like UT2004 would question the 'lower quality for everyone' part.

Quote[/b] ]Such as?  The terrible gameplay?  The inconsistencies?  The huge historical inaccuracies?  The entire style of play?

Now you see you can't patch terrible gameplay, as that once again is a matter of opinion. I quite like the way it plays, you obviously don't.

Anyway, like I said comparing the two is entirely pointless. It's an entirely different style of play. However the attitude adopted by most that dislike the game seems to be somewhat like: "I don't like oranges, therefore all oranges are crap"

smile_o.gif

I agree, at least UT2004 is not pretentious. It doesnt claim to be somewhat realistic.

BF:V does not claim to be realistic, i see alot of snobbery on this forum and alot of the Realism = Fun anything else is just shit type of attitude

and the quote of

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, like I said comparing the two is entirely pointless. It's an entirely different style of play. However the attitude adopted by most that dislike the game seems to be somewhat like: "I don't like oranges, therefore all oranges are crap"

seems to hit the nail on the head, i have never had so much more fun than having a huey ladden with men carrying a PT boat then dropping the boat off and straffing the coastline for VC and for the pt boat to drop off its cargo of men then go up and down the coast wasting gooks, so much fun especially with the music blaring out in the back.

I like jumping on the top of a boat then trying to stay on it when the huey is carryng it ... yeah im weird tounge_o.gif

i see alot of snobbery on this forum and alot of the Realism = Fun anything else is just shit type of attitude

Well this is the forum of a serious wargame so you're going to have to expect that kind of response smile_o.gif

Not sure I understand where you're coming from here as 'good' is a very personal definition. If I don't like something I tend not to class it as 'good'.

'Good' media, be they games, movies, or books, are almost universally agreed upon. George Orwell's 1984 is, no matter how much you like or dislike the book, a good book. And so with movies and games.

Quote[/b] ]

It would seem that they ARE they way to make money, and I'm sure anyone currently playing something like UT2004 would question the 'lower quality for everyone' part.

The same way as talentless eye candy like boy/ girl pop bands are the way to make money; however they are NOT good. They appeal to the lowest common denominator; they are technically not very talented, and they are... shite.

UT2004 .. not a good game either. It has a nice engine, but the gameplay is not very good.

Quote[/b] ]

Now you see you can't patch terrible gameplay,

No shit sherlock! Thanks for telling me that, I wasn't being ironic or anything.
Quote[/b] ]

as that once again is a matter of opinion. I quite like the way it plays, you obviously don't.

So attempting to tell me that it is a good game is not going to work
Quote[/b] ]

Anyway, like I said comparing the two is entirely pointless.

I'm not, and not many other people are, comparing the two. We are simply saying that BF1942 and BFV are NOT good games.
Quote[/b] ]

. However the attitude adopted by most that dislike the game seems to be somewhat like: "I don't like oranges, therefore all oranges are crap"

Missed the whole point. Didnt understand my last post, evidently. Read it again.

'This orange is rotten and full of maggots. Therefore I do not like it.'

Well I'll have to disagree with you there. 'Good' media is certainly not a universal thing. It's definately more of a personal opinion.

Quote[/b] ]The same way as talentless eye candy like boy/ girl pop bands are the way to make money; however they are NOT good.

As for that, someone clearly thinks they are 'good' otherwise they wouldn't end up making money. Obviously those individuals definition of 'good' differs somewhat from yours.

I'm not attempting to convince you that you should play the game, clearly you've made your mind on that matter. MLF said it quite well by referrring to it as a form of 'gaming snobbery'. Looking down on a game and the people that play it because it doesn't meet your lofty requirements for 'good' is quite humorous really. It appeals to lots of people for different reasons. Clearly some people that play Flashpoint also play the BF1942 games and enjoy them, otherwise this topic probably wouldn't exist.

It's in my list of 'good' games anyway, right along with Flashpoint and many others. smile_o.gif

Good, and no good is very personal and so is bad or good gameplay. Personally I think you would have to have a pretty high opinion of yourself to be able to tell other people what is good and what is not. Sure, you have your views and I respect those. But I do dislike certain people that try to tell other people what is good and what is not good.

For example, I quite like the gameplay UTK04 has to offer. It's nothing I would spend my hard earned cash on (since I already own UTK03) but I quite like the coregameplay, different strokes for different folks.

But in fact you already made this discussion quite pointless when you typed this line:

"So attempting to tell me that it is a good game is not going to work"

So obviously, attempting to tell him that this is a bad game won't work either.

Let's drop this whole good game / bad game thing for a moment and concentrate on the game this thread is dedicated to.

I just checked this game out over at my mates' house and I quite liked it, it is no OFP, far from it. But it was a very rewarding experience nonetheless, very unrealistic which was hard to get over after three years of "OFP-realism". But once I got past that it was all great, flying choppers was really quite a blast and generally a pleasant experience.

As soon as I get enough money for everything else I want to do at the moment this game will be mine, see you on the servers  biggrin_o.gif   smile_o.gif

i see alot of snobbery on this forum and alot of the Realism = Fun anything else is just shit type of attitude

Well this is the forum of a serious wargame so you're going to have to expect that kind of response smile_o.gif

Are you talking about the new X-wing addon, the flying Trabant or just the zombie-with-no-legs release? tounge_o.gif

I'm talking about the power drill wink_o.gif

UT2k4 is the best game in it's genre.. I consider it even to be a better game than OFP. Sure as they are planning to release a new version every year they will earn alot of money but anyone would do that if they could, and they can do that. You really need to be good to be able to do something like that in the thoughest genre.

But I like the OFP genre much more so even if OFP isn't perfect it's closer to the game I wanna play than any other game.

BIS/Codemasters also wanna earn money. I am sure that OFP wouldn't have survived if it had an arcadish gameplay.

I fear and believe that at least Codemasters hopes to get a piece of the huge FPS cake when OFP2 is being released. This would mean more arcade. But I hope that they will make it possible to change the settings so it can be both realistic or arcadish.

For me a good game must me revolutionary. I pay to get something new and not something with new clothes on. UT is a great game, good action and fast fast fast. But it is nothing else than a mixture out of a TYPICAL ego shooter and an american-football game. So good crossover, good perfectionising of existing ideas but nothing new.

Do you want me to now start what is new about OFP? Hell, get a seat and drink a strong coffee....you gonna have to stay awake till late today!

Do you want me to now start what is new about OFP? Hell, get a seat and drink a strong coffee....you gonna  have to stay awake till late today!

Join the our server today and tell me smile_o.gif

For me a good game must me revolutionary. I pay to get something new and not something with new clothes on. UT is a great game, good action and fast fast fast. But it is nothing else than a mixture out of a TYPICAL ego shooter and an american-football game. So good crossover, good perfectionising of existing ideas but nothing new.

Do you want me to now start what is new about OFP? Hell, get a seat and drink a strong coffee....you gonna have to stay awake till late today!

while not revolutionary it still remains unique, only similar game is quake3 and its comtemporary is the orginal ut. So its not the tipical ego shooter, typical at this point in time is ww2 games, while the ut series has only quake 3 to compete with ww2 games are in mass. Tho it is pretty much a dressed up ut/ut2k3 thats what all sequels are pretty much are, even ofp2.

Hmmm. I gave it a go today, on a demo P.C. at the local IT shop, and it shows that in my opinion, EA as a developer is more about quantity than quality. They might get rich, but they're definitely in my books as a 'Keep the receipt' developer, and that doesn't win me as a fan.

Who wants to make bets on when EA is gonna release Battlefield Vietnam: Tet Offensive and BF V: Khe Sanh?

Well I brought it and all i can say is...........ok. wink_o.gif

Good for a nice killthe guy not relestic game after a bad day at school where I'm angy and just needx to kill things where realestic things just piss me off even more.

Only bad thing is the Huey and Chinook flying by Ai. They are so shit. Over the target and they jump out in mid air and let me go down. ghostface.gif

A freind bought it, and he was dying to have a small MP LAN with it last night, so 4 of us got togeather and did the necessary procedures to play.

It was fun, though the lack of players made bots necessary, and bots only get in the way of killing freinds. But still genuine fun.

Not as mindless as BF:1942 or DC, where there is basicly no vegetation. You can actually do some sneaky and conniving stuff........Therefore we all did quite well, and had many a laugh trying to booby-trap each other.

It would be a blast for someone on a broadband connection who has skills learnt from OFP. In fact, it's a safe bet that two or three OFP players on a single side in a twenty people plus game would absolutely dominate.

More fun than the other BF games. But still no OFP. Very hard to get co-ordination going, even with your team mate sitting next to you. I'd liken it to lots of individual Rambos trying to get the same target, rather than a game that really rewards teamwork.

The game seems lopsided towards the Americans. They have the better weapons, but the NV lack the element of suprise that they should have. Except for this one thing I did, which was quite nasty, and anti-social, but I had to prove a point that the game was still 'imaginative'. I was one of the NV combat engineers. I stole a helicopter, parachuted onto a roof in the american base/spawn point. Dug a tunnel hole (on top of the roof) and then waited as the AI spawned out of it and proceeded to ransack the american base. Whilist I protected the magic hole. Until it got monotonous.

So to finish off the night, we did some extra hard custom co-ops on Winter Nogojev. biggrin_o.gif

The m60 does seem overpowered, its rof is like a mg42 and it also comes with either a m79 or LAW.