Sign in to follow this  
@cero

Graphics card

Guys, this is getting more confusing at the minute, the more I read the less sure I'm about what I want.

The thing is been sayed, a GF4 440 it may won't be enough by the time OFP2 come out, so I should go for at list something like 4200 crazy_o.gif OK, OK, I'll do some good research about the ones that had been mentioned in here.

Thanks guys, but don't stop tallking about them, is a good way to learn. wink_o.gif

"Dont be hating" smile_o.gif I am just stating what I have observed in the last 2 years. Check troubleshooting forums here. Also Ravenshield www.raven-shield.com was developed keeping in mind Ati cards, and I can tell you that there is manyyyyyyy 9800 and 9700 owners that are mad like crazy because their cards have trouble rendering particles (smoke) and the game in general. I that have a ti 4200 run the game way faster than most of those individuals. If Ati would be reliable it would sure be a sure shot especially the 9500 card that can be pushed to 9700 level. But as long that there is such high of likelyhood that the card wount work with my GAMES as it should then I will not recommend it. I am all for competition as the prices always go down. My bud is an ati fanboy who has faster cpu and a radeon carder "faster" than mine who has stopped telling me his games run faster because I showed him the truth....

Yes, there were issues with Radeon cards and OFP but as I said before those were solved with driver version 3.1. The latest version is 3.5 so it has been fixed for some time now.

As for Raven-Shield, I am one of those people that are very disappointed with the performance in that game. As I said in my previous post I get really bad frame rate drop (sometimes as low as 15fps) when I get into a firefight. But I don’t believe it is an ATI issue. There are not only ATI owners that experience this and there are many ATI owners that don’t have a single problem with the game.

As a matter of fact I just help my sister installing drivers to her new system (P4 2.6GHz,1Gb, 9700 pro) yesterday and I had to try and see if she got the same problem with RvS. There was no problem at all on here system it ran great in 1024x768 4xAA and 8xAF with everything on max (shadows also). Her system is a clearly better than mine (XP1900+, 512Mb, 9700 pro) but the game should not run as bad as it does on my computer during firefights.

One more thing, you can tell your friend that he has system issues if games run faster on your GF4200 than on his card (if it's a 9700 or better) smile_o.gif

The 9500pro is also faster when using Anti-Aliasing, just check every review out there. Maybe he should try a clean installation if he hasn’t done that.

Guys, this is getting more confusing at the minute, the more I read the less sure I'm about what I want.

The thing is been sayed, a GF4 440 it may won't be enough by the time OFP2 come out, so I should go for at list something like 4200 crazy_o.gif  OK, OK, I'll do some good research about the ones that had been mentioned in here.

Thanks guys, but don't stop tallking about them, is a good way to learn. wink_o.gif

To tell you the truth a GF4 MX is hardly enough as a game card now and by the time OFP2 comes out you should be glad if it runs any games at all. If you planing to keep the card for a while then I would say save your money until you can afford either a 9500pro/9600pro or GFFX 5600Ultra. Those cards support DirectX 9 in hardware so they are a better choice for the future. If you think those are too expensive then at least go for a GF4 4200, its not a DX9 card but its still a very good card.

Check these sites for reviews of the cards:

www.tomshardware.com

www.anandtech.com

www.hardocp.com

I have a Radeon 9500, great card, I'm happy with it, performs great, very sweet image quality, TV out also works very well which is important to me, the problem with the drivers IMO isn't the quality of them, they tend to be excellent, it's the fact it takes so long between releases smile_o.gif

I reckon the difference between NVidia cards and ATi cards is that Nvidia's cards will work out of the box straight away, whilst ATi cards will require some tweaking before they work as they should smile_o.gif

Well I've never had to tweak a radeon to get it to work, obviously have the latest drivers downloaded ready to install right away but you should really do that with any hardware.

OT nice sig Nick, terrible terrible tragedy.

ATI cards are known for a better quality of image in most game, flashpoint is not one of them. I have a ti 4200, cant do max view distance or terrain detail with it though without it lagging down to a point where i cant play. The FX 5200 and 5600 are below the graphs of the 4200, and were designed by nvidia to suck up more cash. The FX 5800 is an excellent card if you have the latest drivers and if you dont mind an extremly noisy card. THe FX 5900 is the latest and the greatest, which beats the 5800 by a few marks and dominates any ATI card, its quiet, fast and supports all the latest stuff. If you have loads of cash to spend, get the 5900, if not, get a BFG Asylum or Gainward Geforce 4 4600.

Theres my bit of advice. biggrin_o.gif

ATI cards are known for a better quality of image in most game, flashpoint is not one of them.

What do you mean by "quality of image"? ATIs anti-aliasing technique (Rotated Grid MultiSampling) is better than nVidias (Ordered Grid MultiSampling) no matter what game you play.

THe FX 5900 is the latest and the greatest, which beats the 5800 by a few marks and dominates any ATI card, its quiet, fast and supports all the latest stuff.

If you believe that then I recommend you go and do some reading about nVidia and their “optimized†drivers biggrin_o.gif

So its a tie between the geforce ti-4200 and the radeon 9700 pro.

I hate it how when UT2k3 starts u get a stupid nvidia advert, they can take that and stuff it where the sun don`t shine,they can do the same with silly regular advertisments in cinemas too mad_o.gif

So its a tie  between the geforce ti-4200 and the radeon 9700 pro.

I hate it how when  UT2k3  starts u get a stupid nvidia advert, they can  take that and  stuff it where the sun don`t shine,they can do the same with silly  regular advertisments in cinemas too   mad_o.gif

In Will Rock there is an ATI ad smile_o.gif

Whats w ill rock,if its a game ati can stuff it where the sun don`t shine too mad_o.gif

So its a tie  between the geforce ti-4200 and the radeon 9700 pro.

I hate it how when  UT2k3  starts u get a stupid nvidia advert, they can  take that and  stuff it where the sun don`t shine,they can do the same with silly  regular advertisments in cinemas too   mad_o.gif

What's the problem with this? The game was optimized for Nvidia technology, with Will Rock it was optimized for ATI technology. It's not an advertisement, it's just a "stamp". smile_o.gif

Will Rock is a game, and it sucks. wink_o.gif

List of games that will use Nvidia tech and have that logo at the start

Branded would  be a  better term and they can still stuff it up their ass cos its makes the game load up slower.

Well guys, thanks for the advice ant the tips you lot gived me in here, I really appreciate it and it have helped me alot.

I finally got a decent card that will do me for a whille.

GForce4 TI4200 8X, 128Mb ddr, etc, etc, etc. At the moment is running like a dream.

I just finish building the sistem, and now I can't wayt to put it online.

Thanks all.

@cero.

What fps do u get in games like UT2k3 etc and at what settings.

glad to hear its running well smile_o.gif

Well guys, thanks for the advice ant the tips you lot gived me in here, I really appreciate it and it have helped me alot.

GForce4 TI4200 8X, 128Mb ddr, etc, etc, etc. At the moment is running like a dream.

Thanks all.

@cero.

You chose........

.......wiiiisely. ;)

Thanks all.

@cero.

You chose........

.......wiiiisely. ;)

ditto