Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Feb. 21 2003,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alright, no single element in a sig over 100 pixels in height.

So if I have a logo that's 150 pixels, what if I chop it into two parts at 75 pixels, then combine them.  Would that be okay?<span id='postcolor'>

One element would be the logo, so I'm thinking no. Basically it's you can have a picture 100 pixels in height and an additional 50 pixels of text (or vice-versa if you like).

Isn't the title of the "BOARD RULES" thread in violation of section 3, paragraph 6?

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 23 2003,14:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't the title of the "BOARD RULES" thread in violation of section 3, paragraph 6?

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If a member had posted them then yes. smile.gif

wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Feb. 22 2003,18wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 23 2003,14:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Isn't the title of the "BOARD RULES" thread in violation of section 3, paragraph 6?

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If a member had posted them then yes. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

So what would happen to this member if that did occur? and would it go the same for a moderator (that did it somehow...)

a warning? slap in the face?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ Feb. 23 2003,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what would happen to this member if that did occur?<span id='postcolor'>

It depends on which mod finds it and if he is in a good mood wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and would it go the same for a moderator (that did it somehow...)

<span id='postcolor'>

No smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Feb. 23 2003,18:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In my opinion, this is a violation of 1.3.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, either contact me via PM or ask a direct question in the Forum Rules thread that is pinned at the top of Off-Topic. Thanks.

Ex-RoNiN

Edited by Ex-RoNiN on Feb. 23 2003,18:57<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you very much for providing an opportunity to discuss this matter further here in the Forum Rules thread.  I know of at least three other members (and a mod) with similar questions and the better we all understand how the rules are applied, the less risk there is of others repeating the same mistakes. smile.gif

First direct question:  In what way did the following post violate Board Rule 1.3 such that you had to delete the entire post?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,18:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bernadotte @ Feb. 23 2003,17:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 23 2003,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Feb. 23 2003,12:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just follow the procedures below smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

OFF TOPIC FORUM RULE #5

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">5)Do not start threads relating to discussions on other boards

What happens in this forum should stay in this forum and and vice versa, conversations other than those strictly relating to OFP matters should not be brought into these forums from others<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Out of curiosity, what did Ex-Ronin edit in your post?  Did you break a rule?   Hope it's not against any rules to ask this.  Understanding how the rules are applied always helps the rest of us to stay within them.

How's that for being constructive? smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Avon also broke rule 2.6 by quoting the link that has now disappeared and whingeing around about it.

But Bernadotte, that question should really go into the rules thread or into PM smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The forum rules thread is for discussing the forum rules, right?  Please understand that I first needed to ask theavonlady which rule she broke before I could even consider discussing it in the rules thread.  I was considering sending her a PM, but that would have deprived me of the benefit of you answering on her behalf.

I've not expressed disagreement with anything that's been posted in this thread.  And if I decide to discuss your application of rule 2.6 against theavonlady for quoting the link in your post then I will probably wait until her 48 hour post restriction has been lifted.  I'm sure you'll agree that it would be rather cowardly to comment on what she did at a time when she wouldn't be able to reply.

smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Second direct question:  Why was it necessary for me to come over to this thread to ask theavonlady what rule she broke?  I'm feeling a bit guilty that she got a 48 hour post restriction because, without her answering my question you would not have punished her for "whingeing."  Actually, I'd really like you to consider splitting her 48hr PR with me.  I'm serious.  If you agree then please give one 24hr PR to her and the other 24hr PR to me, ok?  And I'm quite sure there are plenty of other members who value theavonlady's contributions to OFP enough to do the same.

Third direct question:  Why is "quoting the link that has now disappeared" a violation of Board Rule 2.6 ?  I quote lot's of links everyday and I certainly wouldn't want to be slapped with a 48 hour post restriction because the original link later disappeared.

Fourth and final direct question:  What are the different levels of punishment?  So far I've seen:  1st Warning; 2nd Warning; 24hr PR; 48hr PR and Banishment.  And when is a violation so threatening to our community that the punishment must skip over the first 3 levels all the way to 48hr PR, the way theavonlady's punishment did?

I'm sure that every member who shares your love for this community will be grateful for any light you may be willing to shed on these issues.  Great idea this thread.  Thanks again.  smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I posted a link in the Band of Brothers thread to the AV Forums, in which it was explained how to claim the discount on the Band of Brothers DVD boxset. I mainly did that because I was too lazy to write the instructions out myself.

Then Avon quoted this link and whined about me violating rule 2.5.

Placebo and I then edited our posts and her posts to

1) Comply with 2.5

2) Do her a favour and not have her PR'ed for violating 2.6

However, Avon then decided to edit my edit and publicly announced this. This is a clear violation of 1.3 and I PR'ed her for 48hrs, for violating both 1.3 and 2.6.

Bernadotte tried argueing on her behalf, but I think that discussing other people's PR's is a violation of 1.3, so I edited his post and left him an option open to respond to this.

<span id='postcolor'>

I hope this answers your questions.

As for level of punishment, there is no definite rule on that yet but we are currently working on guidelines to be able to have more consistent punishment. This is a very difficult and lengthy process, however, since a lot of cases differ from the "norm" and individual decisions need to be made. The guidelines will most likely not be made public, however.

Bear in mind that this thread is dedicated to explaining rules, not discussing individual fates. I made an exception by answering in the hope that this will stop the constant whining and bickering for once and will for once allow the board members to see things from a different perspective.

EDIT: I just realised that I mixed up my rules. Bernadotte violated 2.6, NOT 1.3. Soz for the misunderstanding smile.gif

Is there any rule pertaining to criticism of people's work (addon or missions)?

Can people just say "I think it's crap" because this is their opinion, or should people only be allowed to give constructive criticism?

Is saying you think an addon is rubbish considered flaming?

Just curious.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Feb. 24 2003,03:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there any rule pertaining to criticism of people's work (addon or missions)?

Can people just say "I think it's crap" because this is their opinion, or should people only be allowed to give constructive criticism?

Is saying you think an addon is rubbish considered flaming?

Just curious.<span id='postcolor'>

Well personally I would prefer it if people could be a smidge more constructive and inspiring, and when I see a comment along the lines of "it's crap" I like to ask them to refrain from making comments like that if they're unable to expand a bit more smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Feb. 20 2003,05:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ Feb. 19 2003,23:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">§2)No bigotry

Racists, sexists, homophobes or any other type of bigots are not welcome to these forums.

<span id='postcolor'>

calling someone gay is an insult in itself these days confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

My advice is don't worry about that, if you are well intentioned there is little or no chance if you say "gay" that it will be misinterpreted.

Yes calling someone gay for saying something or disagreeing with you can be considered homophobic, that's because it's is meant as an insult.  

Same goes for one member calling another member Einstein, it can be a weird/funny complement, or a pretty big insult.   smile.gif  (speaking from experience...)<span id='postcolor'>

I usually reserve those insults for cs ,like valve the big gaylords tounge.gif

What bugs me most is the morons who will whine endlessly if u use such a word just because its politicly incorrect confused.gif

ohh, this is good, thankyou for showing the rules (dont ban me) just one question, is there any restriction of the number of brackets in a post(please dont ban me). Also renegade what is this pollitcal correctness of which you speak (please) And valve rocks, otherwize no Half Life, (praise it now)

Epi(t)ta

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Epita @ Feb. 24 2003,22:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">just one question, is there any restriction of the number of brackets in a post(please dont ban me).<span id='postcolor'>

Brackets? You mean like </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> [ [ [ [<span id='postcolor'>

No, I wouldn't think so smile.gif Of course this like everything else can be abused and then it's not ok. For instance filling a post just with brackets would be regarded as spam smile.gif

Underneath the thread titile in the greay print. Can you put the date of it's last revision? So we know when there new stuff?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Feb. 24 2003,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Underneath the thread titile in the greay print.  Can you put the date of it's last revision?  So we know when there new stuff?<span id='postcolor'>

The board rules are posted on 34 different places so chaning them requires a bit of an effort. So don't expect daily changes of the rules.

If we do change them sometime in the future, we'll let you know through a more direct way (like a post in flashnews forum). smile.gif

Ok, how about how many quotes do you include when you're quoting someone.  Do you include all the quotes or just the last few...

Example: a Neil and Bob ( wink.gif ) conversation

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bob @ Feb. 24 2003,18:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neil @ Feb. 24 2003,18:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bob @ Feb. 24 2003,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neil @ Feb. 24 2003,18:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bob @ Feb. 24 2003,18:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neil @ Feb. 24 2003,18:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bob @ Feb. 24 2003,18:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Neil @ Feb. 24 2003,18:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You suck, Bob<span id='postcolor'>No, you suck Neil<span id='postcolor'>Well you suck and blow, Bob.<span id='postcolor'>Oh ya, well you suck and blow and ask for seconds<span id='postcolor'>Ok, you suck, blow, ask for seconds, and lick your fingers.<span id='postcolor'>Why do you keep quoting me, Neil?<span id='postcolor'>Just trying to point something out.  Oh by the way, you still suck, Bob.<span id='postcolor'>And you still blow.<span id='postcolor'>

So is there an "unwritten" rule on how many quotes you include when you're argue-errrrr, replying to someone's conversation?

And please PR Bob and Neil for their flame war.  biggrin.gif

-=Die Alive=-

If it is done on purpose, expect your wrists to get slapped, as it has happened in the past wink.gif

Chances are, Neil and Bob wouldn't have gotten that far in building their pyramid anyhow tounge.gif

Is there a size limit on your personal photo(since it will only effect people who go out of their way to see it)? Not that its that big of a deal...I just figured I'd completely customize my stuff since this is really the only public forum I use.

The good 'ole 100 kb limit is for all pictures, including the personal photograph. There are however no restrictions on the geometrical size of the picture smile.gif

About 50 people have been permanently banned (ip-ban) since the board was created. My estimate would be that at least 2-3 times that many have been permanently post restricted.

A post restriction only prevents you from posting but still allows you to view the board and use PMs. A ban prevents you entirely from accessing the board.

I just noticed that Ralph isn't one of the moderators of the Squads and Fanpage forum:

SQUADS AND FANPAGES

(Community organization place)

<span style='color:red'>Forum Led by: denoir, DnA, Ex-RoNiN, KingBeast, placebo, R. Gerschwarzenge, Sith, Warin</span>

And in the User Missions Forum:  The R is missing from R. Gerschwarzenge

USER MISSIONS

(user missions and campaigns for OFP)

<span style='color:red'>Forum Led by: denoir, DnA, Ex-RoNiN, Gerschwarzenge, KingBeast, placebo, RalphWiggum, Sith, Warin</span>

smile.gif

-=Die Alive=-