Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

In addition to this, I also wonder how...

"I'd just like to add that it doesn't surprise me one bit that you approve of the camps. On the contrary it is consistent with your complete lack of respect for human values that you have displayed earlier. For a proponent of ethnical cleansing these camps most likely look like a very good idea. Personally, I'd be embarrased to treat a gold fish the way you think it is ok to treat human beings."

...this is flaming or flame baiting? Compared to other statements seen on these boards, this is next to nothing.

And honestly, would Denoir be treated the same way if it wasnt Avon? If it was for example a person who was not a cornerstone of the OFP Community and a person who wasnt Jewish? (No, I am not saying there is a conspiracy because Avon is jewish. I simply wish to know if this makes the so called flaming Denoir made worse, seeing as its about concentration camps.)

So you should be the one to resign. Since you apparently cannot see the broader implication of your actions, you are not fit being a moderator, much less head-moderator.

How could you possibly justify you staying as mod when you on purpose or throught ignorance have inflicted damage on this board?

You know, I always thought that denoir was the head moderator, for the past 6+ months, at least. The guy had liek 7000+ posts, was the author of the newest mod rules, etc... guess I was wrong.

-=Die Alive=-

I don't think you were wrong. This has all the signs of a power struggle. I have nothing against the moderators and I think they do their job pretty well, but to say that they are angels would be too much. I've personally seen forum rules violations from them many times. The fact that Denoir was ousted over such an insignificant event shows that there was more to this than they are telling us. My guess is that Placebo was threatened by Denoir and saw his chance when BIS acted on Avon's behalf. Is it really a coincidence that he was made head moderator in the middle of this?

--Chris

My guess is that Placebo was threatened by Denoir and saw his chance when BIS acted on Avon's behalf. I mean is it really a coincidence that he was made head moderator in the middle of this?

Regime change? biggrin_o.gif

Oh god I love conspiracy theories. biggrin_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-

My guess is that Placebo was threatened by Denoir and saw his chance when BIS acted on Avon's behalf. I mean is it really a coincidence that he was made head moderator in the middle of this?

Regime change? biggrin_o.gif

Oh god I love conspiracy theories.  biggrin_o.gif

-=Die Alive=-

tounge_o.gif

Anyway, Imo there isn't that much point in discussing this furthermore.

Btw, what happend to my last two post? Were they deleted or was it just a bug?

No matter how great our community is, this forum is here to support a great product and will continue exist as long as BIS keeps making great products.  Allowing mods to express personal opinions freely is just fine for community building, however it's risky when the forum is product-oriented.  You never know when a mod's opinion might offend a customer.  And since mods are regarded as BIS reps it becomes BIS who offends the customer.

Denoir's comments about Avon's rightwing Israeli politics certainly offended Avon and, no matter how true, they may have offended other like-minded potential BIS customers.  Now ask yourself, if you are BIS are you going to tolerate the possibility of your rep's opinions threatening customers?  Of course not.  So let's move on past the question of whether Denoir should have made his provocative remarks because clearly from a BIS forum perspective he shouldn't have.

The question then becomes, what to do about it.

IMO, it should have been played down and should not have involved a resignation option.

1.  Denoir and Avon should have been allowed/encouraged to reconcile their differences privately.

2.  Denoir should have been informed about the above conflict between his mod (BIS rep) role and his desire to express opinions.  If Denoir was already aware of this then he probably owed BIS an apology for not upholding his duty, but that would have been the only apology he owed anyone.

It didn't do BIS and their producted-oriented goals any good for this to get blown up as it did.  Also, I suspect that Avon would have been satisfied with a low-key response from BIS.  I refuse to believe that she is in any way satisfied with Denoir's departure.

Finally, if BIS had made their mod protocols clear to Denoir from the start then BIS was wrong not to correct what Denoir posted here on 27 April (see sig).

Having been an IRCop and a system admin for a while now i've learned that it is better to steer clear of arguments like that. Eventually trying to be a user and a moderator (in this case) at the same time will land you in trouble.

I said my piece in the statement in Denoir's goodbye thread, I have no real wish or intention to elaborate in a way that will criticize Denoir, nor do I have any intention of putting details from private conversations into the public record (beyond what I said in the goodbye thread), what I said in the goodbye thread was fact and it stands, I refuse to speak for anyone else but myself.

We have rules here, we've always had rules, they weren't always written into a thread but when I transferred over here 2 or 3 years ago or whatever length of time it was this was a place desperately in need of rules, by being tough when necessary the rules turned this place around, they're still in place to ensure that there is no return to how things were. As a moderator if I feel someone breaks the rules then I act accordingly, makes no difference who they are or why they break them, sometimes we may at first miss the infraction, that's where the responsibility in part is on you guys.

So there we are, sorry if you were expecting a long rant refuting all your points, not my style anymore. I asked previously that the Denoir issue be kept out of the forums, that request was ignored, I'll make it again for this final time, like it or not the Denoir issue has been resolved, if you still have questions you may PM them to myself or anyone else, if I can answer the question I will do so, if I can't I will indicate as much. I will leave this thread open, you can either ignore my request and the thread will be closed and the infractions will be dealt with according to the rules, then leaving no public feedback method with the moderators, or you can respect the request and utilize the PM in the way it was intended.

You should all count yourselves lucky I don't moderate these forums, I'm far less tolerant than the Bis moderators smile_o.gif

My rules from the OFPN forums......

no spam

no warez

no cracks

no abuse

no racism

no flaming

no name calling

things posted in the right place

no double posting

things like that wow_o.gif)

(Edited by placebo at 3:51 am on Jan. 4, 2002)

That's where you first predicted your authority  smile_o.gif

lol, you became a mod that late? When i joined, I figured you'd been a mod since, well, forever.

Here yes, it just appeared forever by volume smile_o.gif

I just noticed hellfish is a mod, when the hell did this happen!? lol

Last night, it's mentioned in the BI GENERAL forum, oh observant one tounge_o.gif

Sure, post it in one of the three forums I never go in  tounge_o.gif

I have noticed my signature seems to be growing almost weekly now(I gotta quit doing this). I'm just wondering if the mods or anyone thinks that the signature is too big. It's not a pic, just text. I'm worried that it's growing too big and probobly eating up posts or something.

Rule is 150 pixels max height, your sig is 186 pixels high, so yes it's too big, I'd suggest you fix it before you lose it to the bunny smile_o.gif

And check it yourself in future please, believe it or not we do have other things to take up our time smile_o.gif