Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

I guess it's okay as long it's not at someone here in the forums.

-=Die Alive=-

are you allowed to sware on the forums?

Yes. You're even allowed to swear sometimes too wink_o.gif

I would imagine you are allowed to swear as long as it not directed as an insult against another member, and so long as it is not too gratuitous...

Anyway, I often find #@&! can be just as effective! tounge_o.gif

The r ule where threads gget closedd for going off-topic is funny, its like killing someone with a disease and saying its a cure.

Wheres the point in closing a thread because its gone off topic,the result is the thread is no longer available either way but closing also stops another potentially interesting topic within that thread rock.gif

The r ule  where threads gget closedd  for going  off-topic  is funny, its like killing someone with a  disease and  saying its a  cure.

Wheres the  point  in closing a  thread  because  its gone  off topic,the result  is the thread is  no longer available  either way but  closing also stops another potentially  interesting topic within that thread   rock.gif

In mathematical terms:

1 topic = 1 thread

1 thread != x topics

Ok? smile_o.gif

Im not and expert with maths,what are u trying to say?

My point is that if ur having a thread thats had some of its discussing done and some other elemnts creep in that are equally worthy of discussing but dont neccesarily warant their own thread ,which would probably be a waste of a new thread anyway, then it would make sense to let it continue unless it began to dwarf the original topic which still had discussing to do.

A bit like when the artificial intelligence thread went a bit off into mathematics and physics for a bit.

One thing I do consider a little unfair is when spammers hijack a legitimate thread and get it closed...to the detriment of legitmate posters.

Wouldn't it instead be better to delete the spam posts and caution the spammers, then PR them if they continue?

Just a thought - all in all, the mods here do a good job thesedays - not a complaint, just a suggestion  wink_o.gif

I have a question. Why cant we discuss about the eurovision song conest? I mean its far from the most offtopic stuff that´s been written here. And you know, ESC had over 160 million viewers...

Is the Uk moderator(s) upset about the "Nul points"  tounge_o.gif

We used to be able to discuss topics like this in offtopic, but about 12 months (?) ago, the BIS staff made the decision to more actively police the Offtopic forum, and more strictly enforce the rule that these topics had to pertain to the military or other computer games.

In the end, BIS doesn't wan't to be paying for bandwidth that has nothing to do with their product. I can see their reasoning.

I had an idea to create my own message board for members of this forum to sign up if they felt like discussing things that were too offtopic for here. Nothing as flash as this board mind you, just one of those free message board thingies...

I too understand Bis. I remember seeing a Ofp Spam forum somewhere. Is that what you are talking about?

You should've seen the old forums, now THAT's what i call spamming...

*sigh*

...Those were the days...

Cereal anyone?

One thing I do consider a little unfair is when spammers hijack a legitimate thread and get it closed...to the detriment of legitmate posters.

Wouldn't it instead be better to delete the spam posts and caution the spammers, then PR them if they continue?

It's a fully legitimate question. It all depends how far the spamming has gotten when the mods see it. If it makes up a considerable proportion of the thread.. then it gets closed.

Otherwise we tell people to stop spamming. In cases of extreme spamming we give post count reductions and possibly PR:s to the spammers.

It's a fully legitimate question. It all depends how far the spamming has gotten when the mods see it. If it makes up a considerable proportion of the thread.. then it gets closed.

Otherwise we tell people to stop spamming. In cases of extreme spamming we give post count reductions and possibly PR:s to the spammers.

*sigh*

....The new days...

;)

Great...thanks for the answer Denoir.

Ok, new question..................

Why arent we allowed to give constructive critism about moderation?

Ok, new question..................

dunno but when i pm mods about it they dont reply, it also seems that if a mod is interested in an Too oftopic thread they dont close but if they have no intrest in a thread they just close it, and 1/2 the stuff on this offtopic has nothing to do with the military.

Becuase it would not be practical. The boards arn't a democracy. It would never work due to several factors.

Most of our members are teenage kids who like to rebel against authority - any authority no matter how insignificant. So the boards would be filled up with whining threads asking "Why did you close my thread?" etc

You always have a chance asking and giving suggestions by PM. Also this thread allows you to ask questions about the board rules.

Quote[/b] ]it also seems that if a mod is interested in an Too oftopic thread they dont close but if they have no intrest in a thread they just close it, and 1/2 the stuff on this offtopic has nothing to do with the military.

Besides military we have politics and science as a part of the standard curriculum. The rest are evaluted on case by case basis at the moderator's discretion. So it's pretty obvious that threads that a moderator finds of value will be left open while those deemed to have no relevance are closed.

The basic premisis is that all threads that don't fall within the sanctioned categories can be closed.

we seriously read your PMs, but doesn't mean we neccessarily answer all of them.

most of the comments and criticisms we get tend to be "let's give more freedom". unfortunately, that seldom works since lowering the bar often resulted in complaints from others who want to push the envelope further.

Quote[/b] ]it also seems that if a mod is interested in an Too oftopic thread they dont close but if they have no intrest in a thread they just close it, and 1/2 the stuff on this offtopic has nothing to do with the military.

OFFTOPIC

(about military, politics, science, other military games and similiar topics loosely related to the game)

Ask a mod: well self explanatory

The Iraq Thread : political

Military Stupidity (reprise) : military related.

Truth, justice,: politics

The Forgotten Battles : other game

Playstation 3 pictures : other game related.

The matrix: reloaded : movie, but also has game and gave enough shit to spark controvercial thoughts.

The pianist : movie based on WW2

Eu - federation or not federation? : politics of EU

A novel idea... : politics(somewhat), social science

End of the usa : politics

Buy an acre of the moon? : loosely related to science.

Just curious, what the hell is this: warn-4.gif A Depth-of-the-shit-youre-in meter? rock.gif Or is it the Homeland Security colour of the day? or what?

yeh, devils got one of them. I aint tho  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT

Look at the image URLs.

It is a warning thing.

YAY! The mods love me really!

any mods mind explainin wot they are?

Techniquely one of the urovision song contests threads should have stayed open for the eurovisions political undertones but i guess it fell under this

Quote[/b] ]The rest are evaluted on case by case basis at the moderator's discretion. So it's pretty obvious that threads that a moderator finds of value will be left open while those deemed to have no relevance are closed.

yeh, devils got one of them. I aint tho  biggrin_o.gif

EDIT

Look at the image URLs.

It is a warning thing.

YAY! The mods love me really!

any mods mind explainin wot they are?

Ever see Logans Run? When the bars start flashing, Denoir comes looking for you with a cricket bat.

How are they 'awarded'? Does it increase with every PR, or can mod simply increase it a notch?