Sign in to follow this  
Devil

Playstation 3 pictures

It's not 'PlayStation 3' or even a new console. But it'll play DVDs, DVD-Rs, PS2 and PS one games, and even record to a hard disk... it's PSX, and it's coming from Sony.  

At a high-level strategy meeting in Tokyo, Sony announced an entirely new kind of consumer electronics device that incorporates the Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesiser used in PlayStation 2. Known as PSX - the original prototype name for PlayStation - the new high-end device will be launching in Japan in this fiscal year and in other territories in the next fiscal year, which means we may see the PSX in Europe in 2004 or 2005. Prices are yet to be announced, but PSX will be sold at a price that reflects its advanced technology.

So what sort of advanced technology are we talking about? Well apart from the PlayStation 2 chipset, which will allow you to play all existing PlayStation 2 and PS one games, the PSX will also act as a DVD player, DVD recorder, and DVR (or digital video recorder), recording to a built in hard disk. Oh, and it'll have a built-in broadband connection too, which means that PS2 network gaming will be available to PSX owners as soon as they plug in. In other words, PSX is an electronic gaming and entertainment nirvana in one stylish looking box.

Speaking of that box, as you can see from the first image of PSX below it's designed very much as a consumer electronics device, which happens to incorporate PlayStation 2 functionality. That does not mean that PSX is 'PlayStation 3' (development is still on schedule for the next generation PlayStation) and nor does it mean that PlayStation 2 is about to be discontinued or phased out. PlayStation 2 is going to remain the world's favourite computer entertainment system for years to come, and with the launch of PSP or 'PlayStation Portable' at the end of 2004, the future is looking even brighter for our favourite gaming system.

It's still very early days for PSX, but with this announcement Sony has made it very clear that PlayStation is no longer just confined to consoles that sit under your TV. PSX paves the way for PlayStation to become the home entertainment hub that's been talked about for the last few years. Rest assured, PlayStation.com will have more details on PSX as soon as they become available.

news_psx_02_big.jpg

news_psx_03_big.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

I bet they are going to charge an arm and a leg for that, but it does look good and tidy.

RED

Prices are yet to be announced, but PSX will be sold at a price that reflects its advanced technology.

Bling Bling biggrin_o.gif

9.jpg

Hmm, there's seems to be some wires missing in that pic, otherwise everything’s looks nice and neat. Maybe you use mind control to play the games and change the channel on the TV.

-=Die Alive=-

It seems to be nice, but the graphics wont be improved from PS2?  rock.gif I like the Broadband inside the box thing though

Devil, knowing you ALL of that is fake and not a single part of it is true.

I wouldn't trust him until you see it on an official source guys. Devil has a real history of lying his a$$ off to us.

It's true, there's a news story on Yahoo news I saw today. the pics, however, not so sure...

-=Die Alive=-

Devil, knowing you ALL of that is fake and not a single part of it is true.

I wouldn't trust him until you see it on an official source guys. Devil has a real history of lying his a$$ off to us.

Check every video game sites....

So it will look as bad as the PS2? Mmmm, blocky nasty non-3d accellerated badness.

Why not get an Xbox, chip it, and install a 120gb HD in it. Mine streams media from the HD and my network, plays DVD's (Without the dongle), CDR's, VCD's, has built in FTP, and allows me to rip DVD's straight on the HD for later viewing. Plus with a couple of cables, you can wtach and record the TV on it.

Oh,and it had a Playstation emulator!

Woohoo!

you know this will probally get closed, Devil this place has changed alot since you were last around, with that flamethrower and being bale to pick up a jeep with the chinook smile_o.gif. and the Mighty 5 was it? most of them have been banned.

Mighty 5? hahahahah

So, what do you think this will cost? Å$400, Å$500... more?

-=Die Alive=-

how should i put........ megadrive2,mega cd,jaguar with cd add on,get the picture wink_o.gif

oh and omgdz0rs devils beeen naughty eeeeee

sm-220663.jpg

oh nos

wow_o.gif

A dvd player that playes ps and ps2 games? rock.gif

Yeah well my CD drive on my PC can play games, music CD's and DVD's, AND it can hold a cup of coffe, so I'm not too impressed.

BTW consoles suck tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Oh yeah. Just what we need. Another console to throw in the already increasing pile.

Soon consoles will look, play, and cost as much as computers. And the fact that my computer can do that AND a bag of chips is not very impressive.

just after and way before The official forums merged with the lamespy forums and we then got mods, before we did not have mods, we could talk about anything we wanted in Offtopic, although there was no racism and such, btw back on subject,

Sony jmmm interesting design but i never have actually liked the playstation.

Well i dont think im going out of my way for this thing. Looks nice but hell, its a mini comp. Id rather have a real true PC.

But this leads to my question.

"Can Console gaming ever take over PC and make them obsolete?"

IMO, No. The consoles are not easy to upgrade hardware wise and the games are quite expensive. For a PS2 game currently in the USA is $50. For that price I can go out and get a brand new PC game.

Anyone else thought about this?

Well i dont think im going out of my way for this thing. Looks nice but hell, its a mini comp. Id rather have a real true PC.

But this leads to my question.

"Can Console gaming ever take over PC and make them obsolete?"

IMO, No. The consoles are not easy to upgrade hardware wise and the games are quite expensive. For a PS2 game currently in the USA is $50. For that price I can go out and get a brand new PC game.

Anyone else thought about this?

Not unless they want consoles to stay at the graphical level they are currently at forever. It is indeed the computers that make these games and the computers taht develope the technology for them. Without computers, crap-box wouldn't be around.

Computer games will still be strong and a dominate force. However, I beleive consoels are just the latest fads for companies.