Sign in to follow this  
Cedaie

Geo-mod & displacement maps

Geo-mod: object model 'destruction' if you will.  

The geo-mod was first implemented into the Red Faction series, where you simply shot at a pillar or a wall,

it would create a hole in the general area specified to the model polygon positions.

This idea revolutionised games like Red Faction and the up-coming Half-Life 2 etc..

In Flashpoint this implementation would add to the realism as you take out your foes through a wall or a tree, although complex bieng that flashpoint has island sized maps,

the polygon count for a scene with geo-mod would be rather costly.

Perhaps limiting what has the Geo-mod system could still keep to realism without killing the PC running it, such as limiting it to houses

(with the exception that OFP2 will have interior support) and other miscellanious objects around the islands.

Perhaps character Geo-mod is more optional (as seen in Soldier Of Fortune series), but with character geo-mod would come a hefty Mature Audience rating no doubt.

My next idea, and an important one to see happen in OFP 2, is terrain displacement mapping, where the ground plains would deform to explosions and tank tracks etc..

So a soldier who throws a grenade on a flat plain, where the grenade lands would alter the black and white image map that makes up the bumps and hills on the island

(white bieng a raise in terrain, black bieng a lower in terrain), the grenade explosion would turn that position to black creating a small crater on the island map.

Another Idea I thought I'd add which has been suggested on this forum before, is the Ragdoll Character Physic system, in which character models when killed or hit by an explosion,

are calculated by the CPU to make the model 'collapse' over correctly instead of a pre-animated sequence bieng played. (check Unreal Tourney 2003 or Raven shield)

Ok, post your suggestions and comments as to these two ideas, please stay on topic so the devs are able to note down the comments, etc..

Cedaie  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps character Geo-mod is more optional (as seen in Soldier Of Fortune series), but with character geo-mod would come a hefty Mature Audience rating no doubt.

Flashpoint is already rated "M" by the ESRB.

Sorry?

I'm talking about Operation Flashpoint 2, which is still in development, meaning it could not be rated as of yet wink_o.gif

Maybe a limited Ragdoll system could be implemented where only one or two units use it so a system won't get clogged when a satchel charge takes out a platoon. Else a small "death motion" tweak so soldiers lie in slightly different positions.

I am not really bothered about it though since I'd prefer other things were focussed on.

That Greyscale map editing would open up a whole new world of opportunities. If there was scripting available even if it wasn't implemented by BIS themselves (making sure the audience is as large as possible). Invasion44 would fall head-over-heels with the potential for foxholes and trenches.

Sorry?

I'm talking about Operation Flashpoint 2, which is still in development, meaning it could not be rated as of yet  wink_o.gif

Well, unless you want to see the "red puff" replaced by a "grey puff", it'll get an M rating.

This has already been suggested several times! BIS said they are looking into such destruction methods but it is a difficult task and no promises at all.

AFAIK, all games that has dynamic displacement mapping have their maps made from even triangular meshes, so that an otherwise plane area can be distorted. The maps in OFP 1 are made from much larger polys, thus there would be no vertexes to "grab onto" and pull down, for distortion. Ofcourse, no one but BIS knows if OFP 2 will have maps constructed from tight trimeshes, though I doubt it, considering the scale of the maps... it would be a resource theft like no other.

Maybe something like boolean operations in 3d apps.. who knows, I suppose that's what they did in Red Faction..?

Quote[/b] ]Well, unless you want to see the "red puff" replaced by a "grey puff", it'll get an M rating.

roflmao

Red faction used a boolean operation to create the holes. Soldier of fortune had the models with preset holes already on them covered by other polys that got removed when the area was shot.

Although it would be great to see it, I really don't see OFP2 (or any other new game) using boolean style terrain deformation because it is hugely processor intensive.

HL2 doesn't use it either.

This idea revolutionised games like Red Faction and the up-coming Half-Life 2 etc..

I was just thinking the same. Geo-Mod wouldnt be so dum smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps character Geo-mod is more optional (as seen in Soldier Of Fortune series), but with character geo-mod would come a hefty Mature Audience rating no doubt.

Really?It's 15 here in Finland. Also, i think terrain geomod would be good, if same would apply to buildings. This would enable many interesting strategies, like blowing up a balcony under enemy soldiers, making walls to collapse into foe's necks etc. Also, foxholes and trenches HAVE to be done. The fact that blowing up a tank only results in ground blackened on several meters radius does not help suspension of disbelief. A "vehicle geomod" would be good too, as an example, you could drive over enemy's jeep with a tank:D

Really?It's 15 here in Finland. Also, i think terrain geomod would be good, if same would apply to buildings. This would enable many interesting strategies, like blowing up a balcony under enemy soldiers, making walls to collapse into foe's necks etc. Also, foxholes and trenches HAVE to be done. The fact that blowing up a tank only results in ground blackened on several meters radius does not help suspension of disbelief. A "vehicle geomod" would be good too, as an example, you could drive over enemy's jeep with a tank:D

In the US, we have the greatly innefective and quite non-controversial and greatly-ignored ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) which can be learned about here: http://www.esrb.com/esrbratings_guide.asp

Still, even if games have mature ratings, kids can just go to the store and buy them with no hassle, without an adult.

... just as they can go in and buy their drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes smile_o.gif

In the US, we have the greatly innefective and quite non-controversial and greatly-ignored ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) which can be learned about here: http://www.esrb.com/esrbratings_guide.asp

Still, even if games have mature ratings, kids can just go to the store and buy them with no hassle, without an adult.

... just as they can go in and buy their drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes smile_o.gif

Same in here, except when it comes to 18-rated games.

Anyways, since OFP2 is a long way coming, we can see if this works well with Soldner which showcases "crater jumps".

smile_o.gif You can make your own foxhole that way.

We all know that Spetznatz can hide bodies.

But what about a bit of digging?

A perfect hideout for those who try NOT to be shoot.