Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio

Ch-53e superstallion

Well mabey its useless now but its very cool to see some SEALS/Marines/Soldiers comeing down with a rope but yea i know that the smoke grenades only function in MP but i like to see in OFP2 then some thing like this: Seals will dropped fomr a LSD or some thing and then clear a small path so the choppers can inbount and then seals will trwo some smoke grenades so the Enemy cant see a thing and do nothing then CH53's are coming in and hovering above the LZ and drop the Marines/Soldiers iwht Fastrope of just by landing. sounds cool right tounge_o.gif

Although fastroping might be quite useful in urban areas where there are many interfering obstacles, I wouldn't think they would be much use in OFP since there arn't many urban areas on these islands.

Fast-roping useless in OFP? rock.gif Recent fast-roping scripts have saved me from hours of trying to make the stupid helicopter AI properly land in cities and added 300% coolness to my urban missions. You wouldn´t believe the headaches I´ve suffered when I´ve tried to insert my troops into cities!

Why would anyone fast-rope onto an airport, anyway? I think you´ve misunderstood the purpose of fast-roping and are calling it useless because of that. And the urban areas might not be too big, but of course you´re going to fight a lot in them. Who cares about conquering a patch of grass in the middle of nowhere compared to a population center?

[FLAME]

I think you've misunderstood me entirely. Next time include the whole of my quote and read my damn post again throughly.

Quote[/b] ]Fast-roping useless in OFP!?
I never said that.
Quote[/b] ]Recent fast-roping scripts have saved me from hours of trying to make the stupid helicopter AI properly land in cities and added 300% coolness to my urban missions. You wouldn´t believe the headaches I´ve suffered when I´ve tried to insert my troops into cities!
Thats exactly what I said - it would be useful in urban areas on the other hand.
Quote[/b] ]Why would anyone fast-rope onto an airport, anyway!?
Can you read? I never said that. I said it would be better to land the chopper for a quick insert instead of a fast-rope.
Quote[/b] ]I think you´ve misunderstood the purpose of fast-roping and are badmouthing it because of that.
I think you've misunderstood my post and thus need to learn to read thoroughly.
Quote[/b] ]And the urban areas might not be too big, but of course you´re going to fight a lot in them. Who cares about conquering a patch of grass compared to a population center?
So you'd rather just take your chopper(s) and just fly overhead in the cities, fastrope, get civilians killed, and then you get slaughtered? Pretty neat idea... :\

[/FLAME]

You can spend less time landing the damn thing than actually lining up, auto-hovering, and determining the correct hight, for fast roping.

hehe, you'll love the MH-60 then, 1 click, and the AI does it for ya wink_o.gif

Actually Scorpio, I never said fast-roping in OFP was pointless.  I actually LOVE fast roping, especially on that Operation Frenchpoint Puma.   Try their airpack out and if you want I can send you a rough mission I'm working on where you are fast-roping into Petrovice.  Yeah they could have landed, but it just feels so cool sliding down that rope and actually the troops do fast rope very quickly.   After you try it on their Puma, I think it will be hard for you to call it "pointless".  hehehe  Trust me it's very fun and even better then the BAS fast-rope script on their MH-47. On their Puma with the hoist they actually have TWO ropes with two soldiers fast-roping at a time and with a cool "sliding" noise as you slide down and a "thump" sound when you hit the ground. The soldiers even move out of the way when they hit the ground so that they don't pile up on each other. It's really a WONDERFUL script!

So no, I don't think it's "pointless" siimply because it's a lot of fun in OFP and I think that if you are able to figure out how to get the rope to appear correctly on your CH-53E, that it would only add to the coolness and the "fun factor" of your CH-53 even if it isn't a technique commonly used on this chopper or in areas outside of urban areas or over ships.  

Obviously alot of people really would love to see this capability on your CH-53E and alot of people make missions based in urban areas (myself included). I'm sure a lot of Marines would like to see this capability as well.   Anyhoo... it's your addon so  add what you want to it and certainly I'm sure there are other more important priorities for your helicopter (a door gunner I think is more iimportant), but if you have time I hope maybe you can work on a fast rope script for it or get someone to volunteer to work on it for you.  Keep up the great work.

Chris G.

You can spend less time landing the damn thing than actually lining up, auto-hovering, and determining the correct hight, for fast roping.

hehe, you'll love the MH-60 then, 1 click, and the AI does it for ya wink_o.gif

Deadmeat, have you checked out the Operation Frenchpoint Puma(hoist version) and it's fastrope script? I hope the next BAS MH-60 has a similar system with two soldiers fast roping at a time. That makes things go much quicker and the sound effects also are great. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles, I never said fastroping was entirely pointless. What I was saying is, that it's better to land the chopper for a quick insertion in areas where there are few interfering obstacles such as buildings, but better to fastrope in urban areas where there are buildings.

My "threroy" doesn't suck.

In Afghanistan marines were deployed on the airfield above Kabul. The landing was done with CH-53's. All marines had full combat gear and those large backpacks (ALICE packs)

If you try to fastrope with that you'll break both your legs and your spinal cord! US Navy seals checked the aiport before the birds landed.

On almost every landing operation (either by bird, boat or AAV7) marines are backed up by seals who check the landing zone, "remove" obstacles (ie; blow them up), ect, ect. If it is a 'hot' LZ, gunships will clear the area before the birds will land. The birds than land, marines run out the the back and the chopper lifts of again. Fastroping would not only take longer (for 30 guy's that is) but also expose the marines to much. If a landing takes to long, the enemy might be able to direct some arty on the LZ. Marines don't think that's very funny.

Ofcourse you can find examples of marines fastroping on a combat mission, but this is not usually done by marines. On the photos you see marines, but I don't see full combat gear.

On the picture with the CH-53 it even seems if he's going in 'naked' (no rifle).

SpecOps will more likely use fastroping, because in their case it's faster; They work in small groups. Landing and disembarking for such a small group (8 guy's max) would take longer than fastroping, since the pilot also has to find a good place to land (and doen't sink the chopper in the mud, for example). Also the MH-53J Pavelow can fly away almost immediately after the guy's are out (and thus is less likely to give away the position of the team). The door gunners also have a good view of the area and can lay down a good cover (although this is not prefered, since it means the mission is fucked-up). The nature of the mission performed by SpecOps is also a factor (they don't land on airports or open fields, but rather in a place where they can dissapear in the vegetation immediately after landing).

Marines are more likely to be deployed with 30 guy's at a time (on the ch-53).

Deadmeat, have you checked out the Operation Frenchpoint Puma(hoist version) and it's fastrope script?  I hope the next BAS MH-60 has a similar system with two soldiers fast roping at a time.  That makes things go much quicker and the sound effects also are great.  smile_o.gif

No I haven't, and tbh, I dont think we need to... This little beast will blow your socks off, its allready pretty perfect, we're just having our US Military advisors check it out for realism and accuracy.

Oh, and the last thing i'll say, before Tiger cuts my tounge off, is that we have got the 2 ropes thing more than nailed wink_o.gif

I'm sorry about your tongue. I knew you have strict policy, but that strict? I'm impressed. If Tigershark isen't carefull, he might find mr. Bush removing his regime to liberate the oppressed BAS people.

But I hope you still have your fingers?

I mean you could still type posts on the forum.

Also the Ch-53 Pavelow

Don't you mean MH-53J?

Yes ofcourse! I forgot the official name "MH" and "J", So I just put the name "Pavelow" behind it so people know what I mean.

I'll edit my post.

[FLAME]

I think you've misunderstood me entirely. Next time include the whole of my quote and read my damn post again throughly.

Quote[/b] ]Fast-roping useless in OFP!?
Quote[/b] ] I never said that.
Quote[/b] ]Recent fast-roping scripts have saved me from hours of trying to make the stupid helicopter AI properly land in cities and added 300% coolness to my urban missions. You wouldn´t believe the headaches I´ve suffered when I´ve tried to insert my troops into cities!
Thats exactly what I said - it would be useful in urban areas on the other hand.
Quote[/b] ]Why would anyone fast-rope onto an airport, anyway!?
Can you read? I never said that. I said it would be better to land the chopper for a quick insert instead of a fast-rope.
Quote[/b] ]I think you´ve misunderstood the purpose of fast-roping and are badmouthing it because of that.
I think you've misunderstood my post and thus need to learn to read thoroughly.
Quote[/b] ]And the urban areas might not be too big, but of course you´re going to fight a lot in them. Who cares about conquering a patch of grass compared to a population center?
So you'd rather just take your chopper(s) and just fly overhead in the cities, fastrope, get civilians killed, and then you get slaughtered? Pretty neat idea... :\

[/FLAME]

Ok, I think we have some kind of communication problem here.

I don´t understand your reasoning at all and I think you´re contradicting your own statements. You misunderstood my post too, but I won´t flame you because of that. Just fogettaboutit, eh? tounge_o.gifsmile_o.gif

Just fogettaboutit, eh?  tounge_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Sure, thats what they all say anyway. tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

Looking for an update on the "drunk pig"...has it turned into a "prancing pony" yet???...did i miss the update?...or is it still yet to be released?

Just fogettaboutit, eh?  tounge_o.gif  smile_o.gif

Sure, thats what they all say anyway. tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

sure very yes biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

My "threroy" doesn't suck.

In Afghanistan marines were deployed on the airfield above Kabul. The landing was done with CH-53's. All marines had full combat gear and those large backpacks (ALICE packs)

If you try to fastrope with that you'll break both your legs and your spinal cord! US Navy seals checked the aiport before the birds landed.

On almost every landing operation (either by bird, boat or AAV7) marines are backed up by seals who check the landing zone, "remove" obstacles (ie; blow them up), ect, ect. If it is a 'hot' LZ, gunships will clear the area before the birds will land. The birds than land, marines run out the the back and the chopper lifts of again. Fastroping would not only take longer (for 30 guy's that is) but also expose the marines to much. If a landing takes to long, the enemy might be able to direct some arty on the LZ. Marines don't think that's very funny.

Ofcourse you can find examples of marines fastroping on a combat mission, but this is not usually done by marines. On the photos you see marines, but I don't see full combat gear.

On the picture with the CH-53 it even seems if he's going in 'naked' (no rifle).

SpecOps will more likely use fastroping, because in their case it's faster; They work in small groups. Landing and disembarking for such a small group (8 guy's max) would take longer than fastroping, since the pilot also has to find a good place to land (and doen't sink the chopper in the mud, for example). Also the MH-53J Pavelow can fly away almost immediately after the guy's are out (and thus is less likely to give away the position of the team). The door gunners also have a good view of the area and can lay down a good cover (although this is not prefered, since it means the mission is fucked-up). The nature of the mission performed by SpecOps is also a factor (they don't land on airports or open fields, but rather in a place where they can dissapear in the vegetation immediately after landing).

Marines are more likely to be deployed with 30 guy's at a time (on the ch-53).

Took the words out of my mouth... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Marines don't fastrope out of their choppers anyway

that was the theory that was wrong  marines do fast rope as shown in the pics   As for the type of helo  the quote i had is an exert from a article i found on the internet  i you have to do is look and it will show that marines do in fact fastrope wink_o.gif

fastropelow.jpg

This picture here is from my squadron, HMH-463...I was on this helicopter when this fast rope excersize was being performed, as an acting crew member. This took place only a few months ago (february) during PIX Det to the Phillipines. I'm very suprised to see this, and very proud...LOL. This picture was taken by a friend of mine that is a Combat Photographer who went with us. I didn't know it was put on the USMC site. all the pictures he took were for the HMH-463 Pegasus website that I run.

To answer a few questions about fast rope. Yes you can fast rope from any version of CH53. The US Marines do infact fast rope from the CH53 and CH46. Note that to fast rope from any helo is a last resort insertion method. This is only done if there is no other way to land (I.E boat, hot LZ, ect.).

As this was just a training mission the marines didn't go in with gear, but when we inserted Marines in the field for actual combat missions we had to insert them by fast rope due to the terrain and combat conditions. No SEALs were there to clear the area this time and they had full gear on. It just depends on the situation on how they get inserted. The Marines that went to the Phillipines had many combat missions against the terrorist group MILF (no joking thats the name) and HMH-463 inserted them into most of the drop zones.

The Marines in the picture fastroping are from the 3rd Marine Regiment out of MCBH, Kaneohe Bay Hawaii.

Wow never thought I would be on the internet  biggrin_o.gif

Your famous!

I haven't seen any pictures of myself around, what a pity, it denies the internet such a handsome build.

rock.gif

Wow thats cool Dragon biggrin_o.gif

But i think this topic isent any more about the Update of the Ch53 sad_o.gif

Yea I think your right...I have talked to Scorpio a few days ago and from what I understand he has a lot of the bugs fixed and he's been working his ass off to get it ready for beta release. Can't wait to see it....I still have to take some pics of the cockpit for him though....he's going to use the CH53D cockpit since it's not classified...not much of a difference in the two other then a few added FLIR screens and other gauges.

It's definitely a good addon. However I can't shake this feeling that the size in MB is somehow more than it could be? I'm just being picky though. As of late I've become very "addon conscious" regarding performance and such since my friend said he ran out of memory because he had so many addons in his folder... then again he never managed them at all.

Still... the "100-polys-for-a-trigger-guard" (exaggeration)design philosophy that has proliferated as of late look great but I still don't plan on buying a new pc until OFP 2 comes out and I'd like to retain the ability to have tons of units onscreen as opposed to one or five fifty gajillion poly addon that chokes the framerate right out of me. I'm definitely fearing that may well become a reality.

Well about that size problem mabey Scorpio can put 2 versions up:

1: the basic updated CH53

2: the jungle CH53 version

its just a idea but it will save the 56k'ers some time wink_o.gif

Well about that size problem mabey Scorpio can put 2 versions up:

1: the basic updated CH53

2: the jungle CH53 version

its just a idea but it will save the 56k'ers some time  wink_o.gif

That's exactly what I've done. The standard CH-53E and the CH-53E Jungle camo version are seperate download files.