Sign in to follow this  
Airwolf

How to convince people that ofp is the best?

Yo, i am trying to get some of my friends to play ofp who already dont, they play such games moh, and battlefield 1942. I am trying to get them in on ofp, but they seem to think its 5 years old because they think the graphics are horriable and not worth playing. I dissagree, i dont see anything wrong with the graphics when you comprimise all that for the extreme realism and large playing fields of the game, but they wont listen, the do anything/anywhere environment makes this game entirely special in that way, and it can do it in a way that no other game engine can. Anyone have anymore ideas on how to convince them?

Well you could take some images from the Ofp combat photography thread. Some people have very good computers and create damn nice stuff smile.gif

Just some personal experience, Most of my friends simply dont like ofp that much. They dont think that the game sucks or anything but they wont get stuck to it. Honestly most of my friends dosen´t play computerer games at all.

I could only convince 1 friend to play ofp, by showing him the game at my place , he was impressed at the freedom and the realism and he bought it. smile.gif

just show them that he or she can drive, fly and walk.

Use good Addons (BAS Infantry and Helos, BW Mod Tanks, ..),

and.............. push the graphics to the limit smile.gif

I installed OFP at my Local LAN centre, where Counter Strike is the game 99% of the time is played, and they were amazed at OFP, some of the youngsters didnt like it, but I had a crowd around me from my clan match, all 3 hours of it, and they love it, just gotta get the owner to fork out a few hundred quid for 20 more copies of COTY edition now :S

I brought one friend of mine to OFP by letting him play for 30min on my PC.

Airwolf, tell them not to judge OFP on graphics, only. Just let them play the best missions you have (with cutscenes, custum sounds etc.). I can assure you that some of them will change their attitude then. smile.gif

Show them some good fight in OFP using different vehicles, after that if they don't like it forget it. My advice. smile.gif

Some people just can't appreciate the uniqueness of OFP. I have several friends who love the missions i make and yet they wont even bother to try to play it because they say everything is too small to shoot at confused.gif

They just want games like Doom, fun but no strategy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but they seem to think its 5 years old because they think the graphics are horriable and not worth playing<span id='postcolor'>

As certainly everybody i have 1-2 game that have better looking textures , better curves for the geometry than Flashpoint , but no one have the life duration up to OFP.

And even if i have not the system strong enough to run with high resolution , i find the game beautifull with great landscape .

And , since when graphics decide when a game is "worth playing" or not ?

Just give a look at what i consider my 3 favorites game , i own them since some years and are always on my HD : Daggerfall Civilisation 2 and Master of Orion smile.gif

Just show them the demo. that will convince 'em

EDIT

(thats the origonal demo by the way)

I would try to get them to play an online session with you (not sure how to do that if they don't want to buy the game though). The multiplayer in this game is just awesome in my opinion. As a team, drive across the countryside for a few miles, let them see the sheer size of it. Put together some really simple engagements all over the island and travel between them. Snipe so-and-so here, jump in a chopper and hit something else, drive a tank over and shoot some other vehicles. I think once they get a quick taste of the size and variety of gameplay, they'll find something that catches their interest.

Some games are made for the widest audience possible. By widest I mean all the stupid, shallow, unimaginative, boring people that clutter our planet.

The fact is that OFP is not for everyone and it shouldn't be. If you have a great game to play with, who cares about what your friends think? It's not like it's your girlfriend. ;-)

Well, personally if your friends don't like OFP, it might be about time to get some new ones. biggrin.gif

Lol don't know what kind of friends i've got  tounge.gif but showing them a few quickly made missions with the editor and letting them see how I play the bomberman single mission (I have to admit that setting the subwoofer to max volume helped too biggrin.gif ) was more than enough to convince them. Not to mention letting them see a multiplayer game, that really made them go mental. Up to now I've managed to convince(if it can be called like that) 6 of them to buy the game and 4 of them play multi often.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 08 2003,21:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, personally if your friends don't like OFP, it might be about time to get some new ones. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LOL exactly what I was going to say biggrin.gif

let your friends play some of the good single missions

but don´t forget to have satchels wonderful sound pack installed...

after that go to mission editor and show them how to ride a tank or fly a chopper

imo that should do

I would do it like this, but unfortunately I lost all my old friends the day ofp came out  wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Airwolf @ April 08 2003,17:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yo, i am trying to get some of my friends to play ofp who already dont,<span id='postcolor'>

If your friends don't like OFP then they're not your friends.

Ok, maybe that's a little extreme. Just a little though. tounge.gif

They'll come crawling back here when OFP2 is released.

Guest BratZ

I have been unable to convert people too.Not that I am an OFP preacher,lol.

My son (14) helps me test stuff but goes back to CS after.

I try to explain the realistic feeling,the variety of models (addons) The mission editor, the fact they gave out O2 to make your own,OFP runs on a variety of machines.

I don't think the demo is a good example or is it Resistance demo now? I wouldn't show them the old version of OFP because I think it changed alot in Res.

If the demo is old version they need to update because BF1942 demo had me buying the game immediately.

BF is fun and all ,but its not accurate like OFP.

I can actually fly well in BF now ,shooting other planes down.

But when I test my plane models in OFP,it is hard to shoot another plane down and for that matter try to find something on the ground.I like the if you can see it shoot it thing.I play BF for arcade action and OFP is take your time,think and dont get killed(alot more realistic)

If you continue to fail after trying everything ...

One solution : hypnosis

BTWATCH.JPG

I have recently converted 3 friends to OFP. My trick? Beer.......nothing beats trying to do a co-op mission with 5 people when you've had a six pack each. Hehehehehe biggrin.gif

to some extent, i think that being an OFP player requires unique mindset. just looking at various forum members, there are a great number of ppl who are intelligent, and is actually in military and discuss in mature manner.

of course, i've seen fair share of bastards on MP and on forum, but it seems like those who appreciate simulation than arcade tend to come here.

You said your friends play Medal of Honor.

Medal of Honor is a good game.

The reason many people like Medal of Honor is because they speak REAL German in it, so it has a very authentic feel.

Alot of people don't realise that OPF has REAL Russian in it.

I think if you explain this to them they will really fall in love with OPF.

another big problem is my friend is a big history guy, world war II and especially world war 1. He likes bolt action rifles because you actually have to aim to win, unlike modern rifles where you just run n gun, spray bullets and hit stuff. I keep telling him that moh is like that because its not the most realistic of games, for example, you dont usually see troops hopping around on omaha beach... in ofp, you have to aim to get it right, most of the time unless you have some kind of t-800 explosive shell plasma rifle, you cant really spray bullets with a normal assult rifle, excluding heavy machine guns, tank mounted mg's and helicopter mg's. Unfortunatly.. the only ww1 mod out does not have much in the way of addons, and the ww2 mods that are out still seem to be in a beta stage, he was comparing the k98 from invasion 1944, to moh k98, moh looks better, i try to tell him that because of engine restrictions and the giant battlefield enviornment it just works that way, but recently, i have seen guns and equipment with god like textures that make them look real. His main problem is not seeing past the graphics, and onto the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ April 09 2003,04:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have been unable to convert people too.Not that I am an OFP preacher,lol.

My son (14) helps me test stuff but goes back to CS after.<span id='postcolor'>

My two oldest love OFP. OK - I forced them to play. tounge.gif

But seriously...............

They have gotten cousins and now some friends to start playing.

There's just nothing like OFP. And if you can't convince someone of that fact - well - she's/he's just a Bozo. tounge.gif