Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Current conflict usmc

I dunno, the Marines seem to have become much better shots with teh latest patch. 24 marines took on, and defeated, 64 UCE/SDOC russians, including spetznatz and MVD. Maybe it was because I addded M240's and M249's to them?

An M203 would be quite nice.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ April 12 2003,17:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dunno, the Marines seem to have become much better shots with teh latest patch. 24 marines took on, and defeated, 64 UCE/SDOC russians, including spetznatz and MVD. Maybe it was because I addded M240's and M249's to them?

An M203 would be quite nice.<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe, they might also have been more highly skilled than the Russian troops. Then again, the terrain and their defensive positions also counted.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ April 12 2003,16:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dunno, the Marines seem to have become much better shots with teh latest patch. 24 marines took on, and defeated, 64 UCE/SDOC russians, including spetznatz and MVD. Maybe it was because I addded M240's and M249's to them?

An M203 would be quite nice.<span id='postcolor'>

Were they the M249's and M240's from the BAS pack? If so I'm not surprised they wiped the floor with the Russians. The engagement ranges for those machine guns are at least 100m further than any of the Russian weapons, and as such it's typical for the them to get completely eliminated without firing a single shot. I hope BAS will address this in the next Delta/Ranger pack release. It may be realistic but it just isn't balanced and in the end that's the most important thing, to me anyway. confused.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ April 12 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well the only thing that makes those vests any better than the old vests are the ceramic inserts and some soldiers and marines don't wear them because they are very heavy. I just think of it like they aren't wearing ceramic inserts.

Miles Teg or Hellfish might be able to tell you more about that though.<span id='postcolor'>

the movie "Black Hawk Down" shows you what happens when you don't have these inserts in the vest. wink.gif

i really hope Suchey and Earl add some more marines with NBC suits to their upcoming marpat marines pack. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 12 2003,18:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloney @ April 12 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well the only thing that makes those vests any better than the old vests are the ceramic inserts and some soldiers and marines don't wear them because they are very heavy. I just think of it like they aren't wearing ceramic inserts.

Miles Teg or Hellfish might be able to tell you more about that though.<span id='postcolor'>

the movie "Black Hawk Down" shows you what happens when you don't have these inserts in the vest.   wink.gif

i really hope Suchey and Earl add some more marines with NBC suits to their upcoming marpat marines pack. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, some don't have them and some choose not to wear them, thats a hell of a gamble.

Sorry to intrude but I thought I'd clear up what Munger said about the BAS M249 and M240 engagement ranges.

The BAS M249 uses the standard BIS Bullet7_6W so distances are the same as the BIS M60. ie:

minRange=1

minRangeProbab=0.900000;

midRange=100

midRangeProbab=0.500000;

maxRange=450

maxRangeProbab=0.050000;

The BAS M240 has custom ammo with the following figures:

minRange=4

minRangeProbab=0.900000;

midRange=200

midRangeProbab=0.500000;

maxRange=500

maxRangeProbab=0.050000;

ie: the M240 will be used by AI at a slightly further range than the M60 or BAS M249 but the M249 is the same as the M60.

It might be other factors such as skill level which make the AI engage sooner than the east counterparts.

Hope that clears things up.

SelectThis

But doesn't the WeaponCfg itself have a simple "Engagement Range" value in meters?  If that number is larger than the default BIS for Russian weapons, AI will engage with the rifle sooner, regardless of the bullet's accuracy settings. I haven't tested them myself. Suchey made some changes to the M16A2's ballistics, which might be the reason rather than BAS's machineguns. I'll take a closer look at what the changes are.

Just an update on some more issues with the M16A2:

- Jonas Vogt pointed out that I haven't corrected my model lighting.  Not surprising since I had no clue that it could be modified.  This is why the rifle goes bright when dropped or pointed down while throwing a grenade.  Thanks to Jonas I can now fix this problem by recalculating normals in O2.

- Someone pointed out that the aiming point of the rifle is slightly above the front sight.  When I made the sight picture, i did this on purpose, but I guess it's better to stay consistent with BIS, so I'll drop this down slightly.

- Some people with very low detail settings will see the lower lods too closely and notice a white border around the rifle.  It's an issue with the RGB values behing the totally transparent pixels.  The border areas become slightly white when the texture gets resampled.  This will also be fixed.

I consider these all pretty minor items, and will probably wait until we are ready to call the addon complete before updating.

Earl,

Are you referring to the folllowing lines in the cpp?

"aiRateOfFire=5.0; // delay between shots at given distance

aiRateOfFireDistance=500; // at shorter distance delay goes lineary to zero"

I think they only determine the rate at which the weapon is fired over different distances rather than the distance at which they engage in.

SelectThis

I was sure there was another value for the range that AI would engage with the weapon, but after a look through the BIS WeaponCfg, I don't see anything besides the aiRateOfFireDistance. I guess I misunderstood that line last time I looked through the WeaponCfg values.

This pack and the M16 alone are sweet hehe. I'd love to see a full pack but I have no problem adding SAWs and such from the US MG Pack 2 or BAS

Will there be a full pack of this when or after the release of the MARPAT Marines?

also Avon did you give the Law soldier ammo cause he never seems to engage the enemy BMP that turns up like in the original demo.

I'm not sure if you are having a sniper with an M24, but if you are, use Andraz (?) B----? 's new M24, that thing looks so awesome.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 13 2003,16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">also Avon did you give the Law soldier ammo cause he never seems to engage the enemy BMP that turns up like in the original demo.<span id='postcolor'>

I noticed that, too. Can anyone help? Here are the definitions for the two hitchhikers who tag along in the jeep and board the truck with you and the others:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> class Item12

{

side="WEST";

class Vehicles

{

items=2;

class Item0

{

position[]={7604.681641,28.079998,4824.411621};

special="CARGO";

id=1;

side="WEST";

vehicle="SuchIrifle";

leader=1;

lock="LOCKED";

rank="MAJOR";

skill=0.866667;

text="r1";

init="this setidentity ""Rocket1""; this RemoveMagazines ""HandGrenade""; this AddWeapon ""CarlGustavLauncher""; this AddMagazine ""CarlGustavLauncher""";

};

class Item1

{

position[]={7605.797852,28.079998,4824.683594};

special="CARGO";

id=2;

side="WEST";

vehicle="SuchIrifle";

lock="LOCKED";

rank="CAPTAIN";

skill=0.733333;

text="r2";

init="this setidentity ""Rocket2""; this RemoveMagazines ""HandGrenade""; this AddWeapon ""LAWLauncher""; this AddMagazine ""LAWLauncher""; this AddMagazine ""LAWLauncher""; this AddMagazine ""LAWLauncher""";

};

};<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rouge1 @ April 13 2003,17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Simple you add the magazines before the weapon<span id='postcolor'>

You mean, instead of this:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">init="this setidentity ""Rocket1""; this RemoveMagazines ""HandGrenade""; this AddWeapon ""CarlGustavLauncher""; this AddMagazine ""CarlGustavLauncher""";<span id='postcolor'>

it should be:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">init="this setidentity ""Rocket1""; this RemoveMagazines ""HandGrenade""; this AddMagazine ""CarlGustavLauncher""; this AddWeapon ""CarlGustavLauncher"""<span id='postcolor'>

confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rouge1 @ April 13 2003,16:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Simple you add the magazines before the weapon<span id='postcolor'>

but doesn't AI reload anyway?

OK, I have found the problem with the Addweapons being last and I also have to remove one more magazine for the LAW and the AT soldier.

Also I noticed that all the USMC units carry binocs. I will be removing them from everyone, except for the squad leaders.

Patience! smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ April 13 2003,16:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm not sure if you are having a sniper with an M24, but if you are, use Andraz (?) B----? 's new M24, that thing looks so awesome.<span id='postcolor'>

The M24 is the US Army's sniper rifle based off the Remington 700. The USMC has the M40A3, I posted renders of the model a long time ago.

ofp_m40a3_00.jpg

ofp_m40a3_02.jpg

There are no plans to continue with the current conflict marines. This was Suchey's idea and the purpose was to show off our work without giving away any MARPAT addon content (M16A4, marine in MARPAT).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (earl @ April 13 2003,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There are no plans to continue with the current conflict marines.<span id='postcolor'>

Couldn't you just add a medic unit and fix the goggles that make the soldiers heads transparent? Please! No empty-head Marine jokes! tounge.gif

Version 1.1 of mission Ambush USMC is now available from the mission's download page on the MOM section at The FAQ.

===================

Summary of Changes:

===================

1.1 Weapons layout corrected for USMC LAW and AT soldiers.

1.1 Default binoculars removed from all USMC soldiers except for squad commanders.

We will continue to add fixes and stuff to this Marine...the reason we released this small pack is to beta test some items for the larger MARPAT Marines/weapons pack...so expect some additions to him...when Earl said we wont be continuing with this what he means is that we have no plans to create an entire addon pack of this particular style of Marine. In other words, all the new weapons and classes will be geared toward out MARPAT Marines, however, we will continue to update this unit and provide fixes and possibly some new test content. In regard to the weird goggles issue, for some reason I cannot recreate it locally, the goggles dont seem to be an issue here, but I will certainly continue to work with it in an effort to fix the issue that some folks seem to be having. Id love a screen shot of this problem is someone can provide it...and so as to not take up any FTP space, feel free to send it to suchey@digitalgrenade.com

On a side note, we really do appreciate the feedback we have gotten from the community in regard to this unit...it has already helped us squash bugs in the full MARPAT pack...and continued testing will no doubt prove to help us further in developing a better final MARPAT Marine/weapins pack. We really think that you guys will like whats coming in the future! Rest assured that if you like what you saw with this small beta test unit, your going to be extremely pleased with the full enchalada!

Here's another bug I just noticed.

I started my Ambush USMC mission, killed the nearby officer and 2 guards and went prone to fire at the 2 distant patrolling USMC soldiers towards the west in the open sandy area.

Always in ironsite view. Sometimes, just a moment after firing, the figure of the distant soldier in my site disappears and then reappears. This is not because of the upward recoil movement. The distant figure just vanishes for a fraction of a second.

This could either be a problem with the site or with the USMC unit itself. This does not happen with any other weapon I've ever used in OFP.

Another bug. When running sidways to the right, using the right arrow key, in first person view, part of the left shoulder shown on screen is transparent.

Avon

...how far out is the unit?

...did this only happen when it was at a far distance?

...did the vanishing act seem to prevail durring the "flash" of the muzzle?

left shoulder thing....a known issue...I cut off the back portion of the model in 1st person view and it seems I took too much of the shoulder. This one is easy to fix wink.gif