Sign in to follow this  
MLF

Mre's

I was wondering if you coul point me in the way of Onlin retailers that sell MRE's im not bothere about the country but only if theyy export Internationally, im looking for eaither British or US Armed forces MRE's but if you think your country has better tasting MRE's and you know where they sell em it would be gratly appreciated.

MRE top list (I've eaten quite a few, swapping MREs was sort of a sport in Kosovo)

Eatable:

French and Belgian

Tastes bad:

Danish, Spanish, Czech, Croatian, Italian and Russian

Disgusting:

Swedish, British, Finnish and Polish

Horrific:

German, Greek, Austrian, Norwegian, Dutch and from the United Arab Emirates

Absolutely appalling:

Turkish, Morroccan, Argentinian and Swiss

I'd rather eat a dead cat:

Romanian and US

I'm sure mental blocking of some of the worse experiences has made me forget some on the list smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ April 04 2003,01:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">EDIT: Britsh food better than Greek wow.gifwow.gif No Way  mad.gif  crazy.gif  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I still have nightmares about the Greek food crazy.gif Some canned vegetables and some unidentifiable meat (I think it said lamb meat) and an olive oil based tomato sauce that tried to cover the mess up, but failed spectacularly. Horrible, I tell you.

Wonder what Canadian MRE would be like? Denoir you had any? Maybe some back bacon and a Molson Canadian tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Horrific:

German, Greek, Austrian, Norwegian, Dutch and from the United Arab Emirates<span id='postcolor'>

Is the MRE really that bad? I once ate in the navy (not MRE) and it was quite delicous (well better then what I get at home).

I once saw some US MRE's on tv and they looked quite tasty.

By the way, isn't there any MRE that actually tastes good? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By the way, isn't there any MRE that actually tastes good?<span id='postcolor'>

When they are designed to last 3 years+, what do you think?

I was starting to feel hungry reading this, then I remember that rat-pack with 'Meat' stamped on it.

Plus, I will never eat cheese that comes out of a can!

Remember kids, anyone who actually enjoys eating rations is either;

1: Thinks its cool to eat 'soldier food!'

2: Actually is in the military, is stuck in the middle of no-where, and hasn't eaten for 36 hours. Even then the qualifier 'enjoy' is debatable.

3: Mentally unbalanced.

Yeah, me too.

A few times I went and bought some MREs at a military surplus store.

They were quite good. Atleast I thought so. Don't know why all these military folks say that they're bad.

There was this chololate cooky that was in it, very tasty.

And then there was a peice of buttery thick bread. Quite tasty also.

It was a beef stew pack, with apple(or some fruit like that) slices as a side.

It was pretty good I say. It was an American MRE.

If all these miltary folks claim American MREs are bad, I wonder how tasty French MREs must be.

But

MREs are not nearly as bad as Denoir says. Having tried all but a few of the types, I can say that as far as food goes, it is about as good as you can expect for field rations. In fact, as an occasional thing for camping trips and such, they can actually be pretty good- not to say I'd look forward with enthusiasm to several months of MREs only. Besides there is always a possibility that Denoir is a bit of a snob when it comes to cuisine smile.gif (j/k)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides there is always a possibility that Denoir is a bit of a snob when it comes to cuisine (j/k)<span id='postcolor'>

I suppose if you have to eat them for prolonged periods, it upsets your brain chemistry, causing painful flashbacks.

Thankfully, I only ate rat-packs twice, the second time, I binned the fuckers, jumped in the van, snuck down the pub and bought lunch. I got a bollocking when I got back, but it was worth it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Menu 1

Parmesan Chicken

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Chocolate-Covered Cookie

Beverage Base, Orange

Accessory Pack

Total Package Wt. 13.4 oz.

Menu 2

Beef Stew

Fruit Side Dish

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Chocolate-Covered Oatmeal Cookie

Tabasco Hot Sauce

Beverage Base, Orange

Accessory Pack

Total Package Wt. 18 oz.

Menu 3

Vegetarian Pasta Fagioli

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Beverage Base, Orange

Tabasco Hot Sauce

Accessory Pack

Menu 4

Turkey with Savory Vegetables

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Tabasco Hot Sauce

Beverage Base, Coffee

Accessory Pack

Total Package Wt. 18 oz.

Menu 5

Beef Chili with Beans

Fruit Side Dish

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Beverage Base, Orange

Tabasco Hot Sauce

Accessory Pack

Total Package Wt. 18 oz.

Menu 6

Spaghetti and Meatballs

Crackers (2-pack)

Strawberry Jam

Tabasco Hot Sauce

Beverage Base, Orange Tabasco Sauce

Accessory Pack

<span id='postcolor'>

Imagine being a vegetarian! One 'delicious' meal, the same day, everyday.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Imagine being a vegetarian! One 'delicious' meal, the same day, everyday.<span id='postcolor'>

I can't imagine being a vegetarian, period lol. Besides, there just aint a whole lot of a difference between vegetables anyways, imo. You've eaten one, you've pretty much eaten them all (with a few notable exceptions, but if you're a soldier in the field you probably wouldnt be getting access to those anyhow)

I wonder if it's a coincidence that 5 out of 6 menus include Tabasco sauce. I mean, you can eat ANYTHING with Tabasco... biggrin.gif

Whatever you do. Stay Away from Spanish Rice!!!! That is horrible...

I have tried the beef and gravy MRE. Looked like dog food to my friends but it was actually damn good.

The best out there is the beans and franks. IMO. And rember one thing, when putting water in the heat bags they will get extremely hot! My friend burned his finger on it.

Overall, if i had a choice to eat TV dinners or MREs. Id go with MREs. They last you a really long time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 04 2003,02:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder if it's a coincidence that 5 out of 6 menus include Tabasco sauce. I mean, you can eat ANYTHING with Tabasco...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just a note: the list I quoted is from a civilian company that sells licensed MREs- they are not government issue.

Yes they are quite filling.

Each pack has about 1000 calories.

That's great. They also cost approximately 7 dollars per MRE.

Some of those frozen meals such as Hungry man and the like can be about 5 dollars. And I have to eat like 3 of THEM to be full.

So from now on, no more frozen meals, just MREs for me.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 04 2003,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 04 2003,02:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder if it's a coincidence that 5 out of 6 menus include Tabasco sauce. I mean, you can eat ANYTHING with Tabasco...  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just a note: the list I quoted is from a civilian company that sells licensed MREs- they are not government issue.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that list you posted were the same kind I tried.

Never tried government issue ones. Would like to, but wouln't know where to get them.

But I do beleive that both have equal number of calories and are therefore equally effective.

But that cookie you mentioned in that first MRE type, the Chocolate-covered cookies are really good. I don't think I've eaten such cood tasting cookies before.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Meals Rejected by Ethiopians<span id='postcolor'>

lol, there's no accounting for taste smile.gif

I think part of the reason many north american youths dont mind the taste of MRE's is that they have been raised on a diet of fast food and easy to prepare food at home.

How many of you have actually have a sit down, home cooked meal in the near past?

And if you have, the cook must be terrible if you'd prefer MRE's

A friend of mine (back in the 80's) was the CO of our local Cadet corp. As such he had access to Canadian issue MREs of that time. They were about the same level as the average pre prepared food you'd get from a supermarket, but no better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 04 2003,03:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think part of the reason many north american youths dont mind the taste of MRE's is that they have been raised on a diet of fast food and easy to prepare food at home.

How many of you have actually have a sit down, home cooked meal in the near past?

And if you have, the cook must be terrible if you'd prefer MRE's

A friend of mine (back in the 80's) was the CO of our local Cadet corp.  As such he had access to Canadian issue MREs of that time.  They were about the same level as the average pre prepared food you'd get from a supermarket, but no better.<span id='postcolor'>

Me, for one. I like to think that I have fairly good taste, considering (so i'm told) the lameness of American food. I never said MREs were good in comparison to normal food, but come on, be reasonable. They're designed to be easily prepared field rations with a shelf life of 3+ years. You gotta cut some corners somewhere lol. In my opinion, they aren't half bad considering their intended purpose.

Having spent six long, long, long years in the US Army, I can confidently say that MREs are better than most food you'll get. T-Rations, for example, are the most VILE things in the world. At least with MREs, you can eat what you like, and trade for something else. Or, if you just give your MRE away because there's nothing better, you'll be a hero.

The only MRE I ever enjoyed was the grilled chicken with Spanish rice. Yum. And it came with a snickers bar. The rest were all pretty passable for when you were hungry, except the tuna one. I really hated that. It was like a death sentence to get it.

I never did get to try MREs from any other country, even though I served with Brits, Germans and Kuwaitis. They all ate US MREs when on maneuvers with us.

Didn't the old US ration packs come with a pack of cigarettes? Bah, I would save a fortune if they did that today.