Sign in to follow this  
MLF

Mre's

Warin, I don't know what you're talking about.

I don't think I have bad taste. In fact I have quite good taste when it comes to cuisine.

But I still really just understand what you mean. I eat food like any other American youth. What's so bad about it?

I mean I know it's not French cuisine which I find to be the best I've yet to eat.

But what's wrong with roasted chicken casserole? Or mashed potatoes mixed with melted cheddar?

How is American food really that bad? I'm not talking about FROZEN FOOD or FAST FOOD which are both quite sucky.

But in general I think American cuisine isn't bad. And it certainly doensn't consist of just frozen meals.

One of my favorite dishes that my mom makes is pasta(take about a handful using both hands from the bag), boil it til soft, strain it, mixed with a can of cream of chicken soup, with like a quarter a teaspoon of old bay, a pinch of salt and pepper, with about half a breast of rotissery chicken chunks mixed in.

Frikkin excellent. How is that bad??

Maybe you should just admit that your theory of why American kids like MREs is inaccurate.

Oh, and by the way, what are C-rats?

I've heard of them. Always wanted to try them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 04 2003,04:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and by the way, what are C-rats?

I've heard of them.  Always wanted to try them.<span id='postcolor'>

You'd need a time machine to try C Rations.  Since I think they stopped making them during the Korean War sometime biggrin.gif

I dont think my assesment is off much.  I am not saying 'American' food is bad, I am just saying that we dont have a culture of cuisine like most nations.  I wasnt being insulting, just saying that what a north american person thinks of as 'good' is not always what somone from another nation sees as good.  See the difference?

edit: My bad. Vietnam  If you want to see some decent 'candid' photography from the early Vietnam War, check out the other pics on that sit.  This guy wrote one of the best books about Vietnam that I have ever read.  He was also one of the pilots flying in and out of 'LZ X-Ray' in the book and movie 'We Were Soldiers'

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 04 2003,04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont think my assesment is off much.  I am not saying 'American' food is bad, I am just saying that we dont have a culture of cuisine like most nations.  I wasnt being insulting, just saying that what a north american person thinks of as 'good' is not always what somone from another nation sees as good.  See the difference?<span id='postcolor'>

Conversely, I don't find cow brains or testicles especially appetizing, but that doesn't stop some people from countries that do have a 'culture of cuisine' hehe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,04:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jerky?<span id='postcolor'>

Ever had venison jerky? Best stuff in the world- even better if it's homemade.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 04 2003,04:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 04 2003,04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I dont think my assesment is off much.  I am not saying 'American' food is bad, I am just saying that we dont have a culture of cuisine like most nations.  I wasnt being insulting, just saying that what a north american person thinks of as 'good' is not always what somone from another nation sees as good.  See the difference?<span id='postcolor'>

Conversely, I don't find cow brains or testicles especially appetizing, but that doesn't stop some people from countries that do have a 'culture of cuisine' hehe.<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe. Rocky Mountain Oysters...

And that's all I have to say on that!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 04 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,04:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jerky?<span id='postcolor'>

Ever had venison jerky? Best stuff in the world- even better if it's homemade.<span id='postcolor'>

Moose isnt bad either.

I really miss hunting. I should get a rifle and do a moose or deer hunt this fall. I would love to have a freezer full for the winter smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 04 2003,04:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hehe.  Rocky Mountain Oysters...  

And that's all I have to say on that!<span id='postcolor'>

I'll bet whoever introduced that one immigrated tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 04 2003,04:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 04 2003,04:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and by the way, what are C-rats?

I've heard of them.  Always wanted to try them.<span id='postcolor'>

You'd need a time machine to try C Rations.  Since I think they stopped making them during the Korean War sometime biggrin.gif

I dont think my assesment is off much.  I am not saying 'American' food is bad, I am just saying that we dont have a culture of cuisine like most nations.  I wasnt being insulting, just saying that what a north american person thinks of as 'good' is not always what somone from another nation sees as good.  See the difference?

edit: My bad. Vietnam  If you want to see some decent 'candid' photography from the early Vietnam War, check out the other pics on that sit.  This guy wrote one of the best books about Vietnam that I have ever read.  He was also one of the pilots flying in and out of 'LZ X-Ray' in the book and movie 'We Were Soldiers'<span id='postcolor'>

No no, you assesment IS wrong.

We may not have a cuisine culture like the French do. But other than that we appreciate good food like anyone else if not even MORE SO.

Plus you're British, right?

Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad. You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 04 2003,05:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No no, you assesment IS wrong.

We may not have a cuisine culture like the French do.  But other than that we appreciate good food like anyone else if not even MORE SO.

Plus you're British, right?  

Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad.  You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food).<span id='postcolor'>

No, I am Canadian.

And I have several chefs in my family biggrin.gif

You are obviously not understanding what I am trying to say...so there is no point in explaining it.

And I agree that the British have some HIDEOUS foods.

When I served, I learned to carry a small pouch of chili powder with me. You can eat anything army throws at you when you cover it with enough chili. Besides, chili is antimicrobial, so you can eat even semi-rotten meat safely aided by a load of chili.

Chili is beautiful. Just yesterday I had nothing in the fridge, so I took a tin of pea soup (leftover food from a camping trip) and spiced it up with minced tomatoes, chili, Worchester sauce (that's one beautiful sauce) and soy sauce. Quick heating and Voila! I got to say I really enjoyed that dish.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 04 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,04:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jerky?<span id='postcolor'>

Ever had venison jerky? Best stuff in the world- even better if it's homemade.<span id='postcolor'>

Sounds good, the jerky we get here in Australia isn't of the best quality.

I thought jerky would be a natural choice for inclusion in MRE, seeing how long it lasts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Chili is beautiful.<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed. But watch it when you already have problems with your stomach attachments. Chilli burns twice wink.gif

Not good when in hot surroundings and your body is already dehydrating.

MRE´s in general are only to be seen as a ration you need to have to have no hunger. Nothing else. Anyone who is keen on eating such things is...well somebody alreadey mentioned it.

I hate MRE´s of any kind. Had to eat to much of them over periods. Well you all know my "Bauerntopf" experiences in Africa. It´s really bad if you only have one type of MRE for over a month.

I prefer to hunt for some hyena and marabou´s. biggrin.gif

That makes excellent meat for Spagetti Bolognese.

And to the teens who like MRE´s:

You better watch it. It decreeses your ability to be a man wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ April 04 2003,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And to the teens who like MRE´s:

You better watch it. It decreeses your ability to be a man  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

LMAO!!! Best post all evening.

Homemade - could you describe to me how you jerk your meat?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 04 2003,03:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Disgusting:

Swedish, British, Finnish and Polish<span id='postcolor'>

Heheh, did you meet the Finnish specialty? I'm talking about the bizarre combination of ham and banana pasta, crushed into tiny tiny chips biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 04 2003,04:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 04 2003,04:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Jerky?<span id='postcolor'>

Homemade - could you describe to me how you jerk your meat?<span id='postcolor'>

Family secret  smile.gif

But here's how Michigan State says to do it, and I have no doubt it tastes great:

http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/mod01/01600823.html

This was about places to buy MRS's biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ April 04 2003,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But watch it when you already have problems with your stomach attachments. Chilli burns twice  wink.gif

Not good when in hot surroundings and your body is already dehydrating.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, for hot climates where eveything festers with bacteria, chili is THE spice you should use everywhere, since it kills those little fuckers on a massive scale (that's the reason they use so much of chili in hot countries). Eating it considerably lessens your chance of getting diarrhea and other digestive tract infections.

And it tastes good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cam0flage @ April 04 2003,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 04 2003,03:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Disgusting:

Swedish, British, Finnish and Polish<span id='postcolor'>

Heheh, did you meet the Finnish specialty? I'm talking about the bizarre combination of ham and banana pasta, crushed into tiny tiny chips biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe, no I didn't and judging from your description I should be glad biggrin.gif

-

For those defending the taste and quality of field rations, try eating them for a month and I'll assure you that your enthusiasm will have subsided.

MRE´s are currently sold out in the US. The companies producing them are working overtime to fill the stores for iraq campaign. No joke. Check it on your own.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 04 2003,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For those defending the taste and quality of field rations, try eating them for a month and I'll assure you that your enthusiasm will have subsided.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I remember when me and Blaegis were trekking for a week. We ate only cook-and-serve pasta (three different flavours) for the whole time. Goddamn, I haven't been able to eat that crap ever since.

so looks like ill have to wait till Operation Iraqi freedom is over then to eat some MRE's :/