Sign in to follow this  
MLF

Mre's

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad.  You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food). <span id='postcolor'>

Ha, you jest. Terrible. I have actually been to the US, and eaten in your restaurants. The food was okay, but not particulary great. (Is it that hard to cook veal well? ) .

How does American food magically become better than British? Your just harping on about old stereotypes, having probably never eaten a proper meal over here.

Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)

(Besides, you bastards gave us McDonalds, and KFC. Crimes against humanity) Criminals!<span id='postcolor'>

The Brits do some things quite well. Fish and chips are excellent. So is Shepherds pie!

American meals I can think of off the top of my head:

Pot roast, chicken fried steak (excellent), barbecued ribs, chili, pizza, lasagna (yes, this was invented by Americans, order it in Italy and they'll be insulted), and chop suey.

I had C-rats once back in the early 80's. The can was stamped with a date saying 1944!!! It really sucked bad, MRE's are a BIG improvement. K-rations used to come with cigarettes, chocolate bars and toilette paper in them.

food at the Messhall is generally nice (when the cooks know what they're doing) but still , everytime i could , i remember how i used to eat as much as possible outside when i was off duty

after 2 months of military food , a good ol' homemade dish is a fantastic moral booster smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 04 2003,23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd rather eat a dead cat:

Romanian and US

<span id='postcolor'>

I find it insulting you dislike our food  mad.gif  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, I dislike your MREs, which I would not call food smile.gif

Once the messhall is operating the US food is one of the better. You have excellent logistics and usually a large variety of food is brought in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pot roast, chicken fried steak (excellent), barbecued ribs, chili, pizza, lasagna (yes, this was invented by Americans, order it in Italy and they'll be insulted), and chop suey.<span id='postcolor'>

the problem with these meals is that with a plate full of each , you've got enough food to feed the whole ethiopian population for 2 weeks tounge.gif

the problem with american food is fat , greases and cholesterol

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ April 05 2003,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pot roast, chicken fried steak (excellent), barbecued ribs, chili, pizza, lasagna (yes, this was invented by Americans, order it in Italy and they'll be insulted), and chop suey.<span id='postcolor'>

the problem with these meals is that with a plate full of each , you've got enough food to feed the whole ethiopian population for 2 weeks  tounge.gif

the problem with american food is fat , greases and cholesterol<span id='postcolor'>

There is no denying that, but it is still very good.

We actually have a hodge-podge of foods due to our mix of many cultures.

Some excellent examples to come from this mixing are:

Creole food: This is an outstanding combination of French, Spanish, West African and Carribean foods with a little local Louisiana flavoring thrown in. I've become quite the gourmet cook learning these recipes after having been stationed there. My favorites: Seafood gumbo, jambalaya, fried catfish, chicken etouffe and red beans and rice.

Tex-mex food: A combination of Texan and Mexican food that is as spicy and delicious as hell! I'm sure Tex will attest to that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, I dislike your MREs, which I would not call food <span id='postcolor'>

Bwha! I heard that sometimes there's even skittles in them! If you don't like those you aren't human! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Once the messhall is operating the US food is one of the better. You have excellent logistics and usually a large variety of food is brought in. <span id='postcolor'>

That's why were all so fat. Our food is best when brought and eaten in bulk tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 05 2003,00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, I dislike your MREs, which I would not call food <span id='postcolor'>

Bwha!  I heard that sometimes there's even skittles in them!  If you don't like those you aren't human!  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Once the messhall is operating the US food is one of the better. You have excellent logistics and usually a large variety of food is brought in. <span id='postcolor'>

That's why were all so fat.  Our food is best when brought and eaten in bulk  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

the skittles suck , they stick to the teeth , give me a good old chewing gum tabs pack and i'll be happy

Oh ya.. .well.. well.... YOU'RE FRENCH! biggrin.gif

They don't really stick to your teeth.... and when they o just leave them there for longer lasting flavor biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a nice big rotten cavity in your tooth!! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Aw hell you've got plenty more teeth. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 05 2003,00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">skittles<span id='postcolor'>

Poor men's Smarties tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ April 05 2003,03:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 05 2003,00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">skittles<span id='postcolor'>

Poor men's Smarties  tounge.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Americans dont have Smarties. A confection vastly superior to M&M's. I have a couple of friends in Oregon that have me back a half a dozen boxes with me when I go to visit them, they love them so much smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 05 2003,03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No Smarties! Savages!<span id='postcolor'>

Seconded crazy.gifbiggrin.gif

Actually we do have Smarties here. They are the little round basially ocmporessed sugar ones right? If that's the same ones your talking about I buy a big 2lbs bag every now and then.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 05 2003,03:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ April 05 2003,03:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 05 2003,00:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">skittles<span id='postcolor'>

Poor men's Smarties  tounge.gif  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Americans dont have Smarties.  A confection vastly superior to M&M's.  I have a couple of friends in Oregon that have me back a half a dozen boxes with me when I go to visit them, they love them so much smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes we do have smarties. And M&M's 0wn j00!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad.  You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food). <span id='postcolor'>

Ha, you jest. Terrible. I have actually been to the US, and eaten in your restaurants. The food was okay, but not particulary great. (Is it that hard to cook veal well? ) .

How does American food magically become better than British? Your just harping on about old stereotypes, having probably never eaten a proper meal over here.

Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)

(Besides, you bastards gave us McDonalds, and KFC. Crimes against humanity) Criminals!<span id='postcolor'>

The Brits do some things quite well.  Fish and chips are excellent.  So is Shepherds pie!

Pot roast, chicken fried steak (excellent), barbecued ribs, chili, pizza, lasagna (yes, this was invented by Americans, order it in Italy and they'll be insulted), and chop suey.

I had C-rats once back in the early 80's.  The can was stamped with a date saying 1944!!!  It really sucked bad, MRE's are a BIG improvement.  K-rations used to come with cigarettes, chocolate bars and toilette paper in them.<span id='postcolor'>

fish and chips and pizzas are italian !!! though there is quite a few fish and ship shops run by greeks,eastern europeans and even iranians!! pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad.  You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food). <span id='postcolor'>

The Brits do some things quite well.  Fish and chips are excellent.  So is Shepherds pie!

I had C-rats once back in the early 80's.  The can was stamped with a date saying 1944!!!  It really sucked bad, MRE's are a BIG improvement.  K-rations used to come with cigarettes, chocolate bars and toilette paper in them.<span id='postcolor'>

fish and chips and pizzas are italian !!! though there is quite a few fish and ship shops run by greeks,eastern europeans and even iranians!! pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.<span id='postcolor'>

Ah, but it was us who normally make the anchovie pizza flavored chips! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, wrong. Pizza was invented in America, so was lasagna and . . . chop suey. These dishes weren't served in the nations of origin of their ethnic inventors originally, they were invented by Italian Americans, and chop suey was invented I believe in New York City by a white restraunt owner. Order a pizza or some lasagna in Milan sometime and you'll see what I mean. I should know, my grandmother and grandfather are Sicilian!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,07:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, wrong.    Pizza was invented in America, so was lasagna and . . . chop suey.  These dishes weren't served in the nations of origin of their ethnic inventors originally, they were invented by Italian Americans, and chop suey was invented I believe in New York City by a white restraunt owner.  Order a pizza or some lasagna in Milan sometime and you'll see what I mean.  I should know, my grandmother and grandfather are Sicilian!<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you're joking crazy.gif

Origins of Pizza

Origins of Lasagna

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Etruscan archaeological findings, mainly in Cerveteri (near to Rome), display stucco relieves of several tools used for home pasta-making. They were pasta ribbons, called lágana by the Romans, from where the present name lasagna comes. Apicio, roman writer of the 1st century a.C. describes lágana in its book De re coquinaria.

<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Creole food<span id='postcolor'>

is from the Seychelles. The Seychelles have a long history of colonialization on their back and the result is the creole kitchen. Your list is not that correct.

I stayed at the Auberge Club seven years ago. Creoles are the inhabitants of the seychelles.

auberge_2.JPG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a nice big rotten cavity in your tooth!! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

naaaah , but that's what happens if you eat too much skittles tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,07:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.<span id='postcolor'>

Uh, wrong.    Pizza was invented in America, so was lasagna and . . . chop suey.  These dishes weren't served in the nations of origin of their ethnic inventors originally, they were invented by Italian Americans, and chop suey was invented I believe in New York City by a white restraunt owner.  Order a pizza or some lasagna in Milan sometime and you'll see what I mean.  I should know, my grandmother and grandfather are Sicilian!<span id='postcolor'>

Milan ? Sicilly ? lol

you can't compare these two regions smile.gif

where are your grandparents from ?

cuz my mother's mother ( tounge.gif ) comes from Firenze and my mother's father comes from Napoli

Christ! You all know too much about food!

Sometimes i make do with a cup of tea for breakfast, 2 pieces of toast for lunch, and a bag of good ol Doritos with dip in front of Stargate for dinner!

I for some reason really quite like Stargate now, it's so refreshing from doing anything which involves your brain.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 05 2003,08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 05 2003,07wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Renagade @ April 05 2003,04:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">pizzas italian too and so is lasagna.<span id='postcolor'>

I hope you're joking  crazy.gif  

Origins of Pizza

Origins of Lasagna

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Etruscan archaeological findings, mainly in Cerveteri (near to Rome), display stucco relieves of several tools used for home pasta-making. They were pasta ribbons, called lágana by the Romans, from where the present name lasagna comes. Apicio, roman writer of the 1st century a.C. describes lágana in its book De re coquinaria.

<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for proving that Greece invented yet another major human achievement - Pizza biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Thank you!! biggrin.gif