Sign in to follow this  
MLF

Mre's

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 04 2003,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so looks like ill have to wait till Operation Iraqi freedom is over then to eat some MRE's :/<span id='postcolor'>

Order from the UK?

My advice

Buy civilian spec camping meals.

Much better (less of a shelf life, but they are proper food!wink.gif

Also please bear in mind that if they are bought surplus, then the army needed a reason to get rid of them- check the best before date biggrin.gif

Here is a place to buy em.

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/productsspec.html

Really though, with a Hexi burner and enough blocks you can cook any boil in the bag meal bought at a super-market unless you plan on staying out somewhere for more than a few days.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ April 04 2003,13:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 04 2003,13:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so looks like ill have to wait till Operation Iraqi freedom is over then to eat some MRE's :/<span id='postcolor'>

Order from the UK?<span id='postcolor'>

well the point of the thread was for places to actual buy them online and also ppls opinions on different countries.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ppls opinions on different countries<span id='postcolor'>

Stay away from german EPA.

It´s really awfull.

Well, look at the second reply in this thread, get a NATO MRE smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ April 04 2003,14:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Stay away from german EPA.

It´s really awfull.<span id='postcolor'>

I like those multi-purpose-tools included, called Panzerplatten or Panzerkekse. They are at least 20 years old and are perfect to make camp fires or kill silently, by throwing them against the head of an enemy biggrin.gif

When I first arrived in Kosovo, our team was directly dispatched into the field. We were for six weeks stationed near Orlane in eastern Kosovo, near the border to Serbia. The British had just started setting up a base but the logistics were not yet in place, so we were stuck with field rations. Our principal task was to inspect the four former Yugoslav army and one airforce installations that were in that area.

So, in week four of field rations we were off to check out one of the bases. There were about 30 of us - our team plus a mine disposal unit since the Serbs had been so kind to mine the bases before they left.  Arriving at the site we find to our great joy a cow. After four weeks of field rations cow = food. The mine disposal guys wanted to let the cow first clear the way to the entrance, and we all agreed.

But the damn cow refused to move. We tried pushing it, luring it away, nothing. While we were discussing what to do, this little short bald American logistics clerk (US logistics liaisons officer that insisted he would come with us after he caught us "borrowing" transportation without the proper paperwork) approaches the cow and pulls out this huge revolver. From point blank range he shoots the cow in the forehead. An instant later he is covered in cow brain and blood. Cow drops dead.

Ok, so now we had a dead cow. What do you do next? Nobody really knew. We tried to skin it, but it didn't go very well since you see the skin is attached to the cow and it doesn't just "peel" off. Finally we decided to carve out areas that had plenty of meat. We made a fire and grilled the meat. Man, that was a feast. After we were full, we put the rest of the meat in plastic bags as well as the intestines of the cow. We went back to camp, covered in cow blood and smelling horribly, but very happy. We traded the cow-internals with some Scots for a large supply of toilet paper (another valuable commodity in the field).

So what's the moral of the story?

1) Cow is better then field rations, even if you have to kill it itself

2) Don't shoot a cow from point blank range, you'll get brain substance all over you.

I've read this thing somewhere on the net just this past week, (online newspaper or magazine) troops in Iraq when they open up a MRE pack, they say the type of desert or sweet they get tells them their fortune, something like a fortune cookie.  

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MREs have generated superstition as well as bartering. In Golf Company, 2nd battalion, finding green chewing gum in your MRE means your wife is cheating on you. If you get two Tootsie-Rolls and don't give one away, chances are you'll die.

If you eat the Charms, packets of hard candy, "it'll rain," explains Cpl. Ryan Eman, 22, of Michigan.

When Golf Company pulled out of a camp one recent night after a rainstorm, piles of unopened Charms littered both sides of the highway. <span id='postcolor'>

Read more on MREs in Iraq:Newsday.com

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well maybe that's why you think our food is bad. You're used to british food wich is terrible in comparison to any American food(not fast food or frozen food but REAL American food). <span id='postcolor'>

Ha, you jest. Terrible. I have actually been to the US, and eaten in your restaurants. The food was okay, but not particulary great. (Is it that hard to cook veal well? ) .

How does American food magically become better than British? Your just harping on about old stereotypes, having probably never eaten a proper meal over here.

Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)

(Besides, you bastards gave us McDonalds, and KFC. Crimes against humanity) Criminals!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)<span id='postcolor'>

There really isn't one (unless you consider the diet of the original Native Americans. Remember, the cuisine of the U.S is simply made up of a hodgepodge of past immigrants diets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ April 04 2003,17:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ April 04 2003,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)<span id='postcolor'>

There really isn't one (unless you consider the diet of the original Native Americans.  Remember, the cuisine of the U.S is simply made up of a hodgepodge of past immigrants diets.<span id='postcolor'>

i'd say the hamburger is a traditional american meal. but does it count as a meal?? tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 04 2003,18:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'd say the hamburger is a traditional american meal. but does it count as a meal?? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you had ever had a decent burger, you wouldn't be asking that question smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 03 2003,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eatable:

French and Belgian<span id='postcolor'>

Says 'nuff... biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 04 2003,19:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 03 2003,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eatable:

French and Belgian<span id='postcolor'>

Says 'nuff... biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

He just hates all thing american, our MRE's are not that bad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Winters @ April 04 2003,20:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">He just hates all thing american<span id='postcolor'>

Excuse me, WTF are you talking about? mad.gif

Tread lightly! (§1.1, §2.6)

you take every oppurtunity to bash america and americans its all over the forum.

§2)No bigotry

Racists, sexists, homophobes or any other type of bigots are not welcome to these forums.

Fine. I find that incredibly insulting and by that you also question my ability to moderate the forums without bias by saying that I treat Americans differently from the rest.

Those are violations of §1.1 and §2.6 of the board rules = 48h post restriction.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Eatable:

French and Belgian

Tastes bad:

Danish, Spanish, Czech, Croatian, Italian and Russian

Disgusting:

Swedish, British, Finnish and Polish

Horrific:

German, Greek, Austrian, Norwegian, Dutch and from the United Arab Emirates

Absolutely appalling:

Turkish, Morroccan, Argentinian and Swiss

I'd rather eat a dead cat:

Romanian and US<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I think you are a bit subjective smile.gif I did my military service in the Spanish Army and their MREs are not that bad but I can understand that foreigners don't find them appealing as they often contain typical Spanish dishes such as lentil or beam soup. The problem is when you have to eat that kind of warm delicacies in the summer crazy.gif

I never touch that shit!

I rememeber we were on exercises in Dartmoor, we had to find a wounded downed pilot and call for a evac and then we would get some soldiers running after us for our efforts. So we got to the pilot and for some reason they had decided to put a pound of sausages on him to simulate intestines, well we got him secured called for the evac and scarpered with these sausages before they came! We spent that night eating sausages and squirrel before a bunch of very angry soldiers burst in on our barbecue and take us back to base sad.gif

I once had one of the drinks out of those ration packs and i gagged!

Don't start with the Anti American stuff again, as someone has said they're just a bunch of misfits from the whole of the world who all came together into one big gang.

Okay offtopic here, you know the islands are cain abel eden etc. Well Adam and Eve had two sons Cain and Abel yeah, and two anonymous sisters cause the Bible is sexist that way.

Adam, by Allah's direction, ordered Cain to marry Abel's twin sister, and that Abel should marry Cain's, for it being the common opinion that marriages ought not to take place with those very near akin, such as their own sisters, it seemed reasonable to supose that they ought to take those of the remoter degree, but this Cain refused to, because his sister was fit!

Hereupon Adam told them to take their offerings to Allah, thereby referring the dispute to His determination. Cain's offering was a sheaf of the very worst of his corn, but Abel's a fat lamb of the best of his flock. Allah having declared His acceptance of the latter in a visible manner, Cain said to his brother, "I will certainly kill you!"

See that was the Palestinian version but still it ends up with the whole Kaboodle being born out of incest and being dodgy etc and killing people because you couldn't be arsed to find a piece of corn that was worthy of Allah?

Come one that is why i find the whole religion thing far too offtopic, i'm saying this cause we had a long flight today and we were chatting about this and i've got noone to share my conclusions with sad.gif

Jinef

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ April 04 2003,08:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And to the teens who like MRE´s:

You better watch it. It decreeses your ability to be a man  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What do you mean by this???

Explain this to us.

Some of these MRE's, i'm pretty sure that these army rations have a tendency to make you impotent so that you don't have urges to jump your fellow comrades!

This was also discussed in the military stupidity thread:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....4;st=60

Look under title: Thank god It Still Works!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats a traditional American meal. (And I don't mean something boring like steak and potatoes.)<span id='postcolor'>

Pizza, Burgers, Hotdogs.. fast foot.

For the more "traditional" food at good resturant I enjoy Chicken/Stake Stir Fries.  But hey, that's just me.

Basically traditional American food is anything meat....  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd rather eat a dead cat:

Romanian and US

<span id='postcolor'>

I find it insulting you dislike our food mad.gifcrazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ April 04 2003,23:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd rather eat a dead cat:

Romanian and US

<span id='postcolor'>

I find it insulting you dislike our food  mad.gif  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

he just dislikes your MRE's

and so do I

and yes , it's a fact , MRE's often are filled ith ingredients that aren't written on the package (diuretics and their contraies , depends from where you go , ignibitors)

back in WW1 , the armed forces from all over the world used to put bromure in their troops' alcohol ration , and it hasn't changed a lot since then , just the shape of the container changed smile.gif

when in operation , eat fresh as much as you can , MRE's are good , but only for a really short while , these are combat or survival rations , not the everyday soldier's food (hopefully)

i find it funny how most of the teens overseas think it's cool to eat MRE's ...... go on a 2 weeks trekking in forrest with for only source of food MRE's and don't be surprised when you will try to fish with a baton in the nearest river or if you try to get bays and fruits after 5 days spent eating your field rations ....

i say : profite as much as possible of your mum's cook talents

I cannot believe how silly people are - eating MREs for fun?

It seems so ridiculous i only just picked up on it, i thought this was just a general topic about how foul MREs are.

The best thing though is Royal Navy packed lunches! When HMS Cardiff came in to port we got a boxload off a very nice chef when we couldn't be arsed to pay for a restaurant!

Also the Army gives suprisingly nice food to it's soldiers, i stick by the RAF but second choice would definitely have been Army Air Corp!