Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

Should bis release visitor?

Would anyone here like BIS to release the Visitor Terrain editor for public to use?

I don’t see what the big deal is about them letting us use it?

What good is it keeping an editor from the public? Even if the community are making their own maps it’s not like BIS will be out of the game. They can still come out with add-on extensions and all kinds of things to sell.

It's more maps we want, right? "I do"

I bet the Visitor Terrain editor is very user friendly

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (starstreams @ Jan. 10 2003,22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bet the Visitor Terrain editor is very user friendly<span id='postcolor'>

Well I don't know, it might just be developer friendly tounge.gif , may have numerous bugs etc, but it might be perfect for people working in development. confused.gif You never know, and then it costs to release anything. Then come the questions, problems from the users, all have to be solved for free. confused.gif

So, it may be good for us, not so good for BIS. It depends, a release has to be timed to provide maximum bang and minimum headache. tounge.gif (or some similar terminology)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Jan. 11 2003,04:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (starstreams @ Jan. 10 2003,22:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I bet the Visitor Terrain editor is very user friendly<span id='postcolor'>

Well I don't know, it might just be developer friendly  tounge.gif , may have numerous bugs etc, but it might be perfect for people working in development.  confused.gif    You never know, and then it costs to release anything.  Then come the questions, problems from the users, all have to be solved for free.   confused.gif

So, it may be good for us, not so good for BIS.  It depends, a release has to be timed to provide maximum bang and minimum headache.  tounge.gif (or some similar terminology)<span id='postcolor'>

That's what BIS said about O2, but i find it very easy to use. smile.gif

Lol, I jsut noticed that there hasn't been a moderator around for a while now, maybe an hour or two. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Jan. 11 2003,04:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Lol, I jsut noticed that there hasn't been a moderator around for a while now, maybe an hour or two. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Of course there has! How do you think this thread got moved?

Don't get any ideas. We're watching. We are moderators. Flaming is futile wink.gif

Guest ####

Whats so wrong with WrpEdit?

WrpEdit can be a bit of a pain to use when adding roads and fences due to a bug that makes objects disappear when zoomed in too close, but other than that it is a good program.

I have a feeling either Visitor is harder to use than WrpEdit or they won't release it because it does more than just edit maps it also can alter the code of the game.

me was told in a few months, no dates or something else sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Jan. 11 2003,05:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That's what BIS said about O2, but i find it very easy to use. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Eeeh, maybe the BIS said that a couple of months BEFORE they released O2 and FIXED all the bugs?? wink.gif

I would very much like Visitor released... What I know about it, is that its alot easier to use than wrpedit, and that its in Czech language so it would need to be translated first (if it yet hasnt been...).

WRPEdit is really horrible for anything serious, the authors of it didn't seem to really think about the actual island creation and user interface. I personally wouldnt care if the preview mode would have been left out totally and the time used to make it would have been used to make it easier and more importantly faster to use.

I doubt anyone will be opposed to BIS releasing Visitor, I would love to see it released.

It is such a pain using WRP Edit to place objects and alter the landscapes.

RED

Guest ####

There is an assumption here that it is easier to use. It may not be. When Oxy came out I found it easier to retexture models with the hex editing method since I already knew how to do it.

I've never had Wrpedit crash, only objects going to the side of the island if zoomed in too close. The only other issue I have with Wrpedit is adding custom textures, you always have to reselect the .pbo with the textures in it. It takes some getting used to but is easier than some of you may think.

#####, this might be a bit offtopic but would you care to make a chechenya island sometime? I find it distressing that no one has made one yet, and perhaps after you have finished your current one you could do it.. i could even help you with textures, if you need any help that is..

Guest ####

Thats a possibility. I have a few other projects I would like to do first like Amazon addon pack #2, and some other projects. Terrain takes a while to do, Olafsland will be 2 months by the time I release it for full use.

copy...paste.......copy......paste.......what the hell were they thinking? Or to phrase it another way, how long does it take to put down 10 000 hay bales.....?

Please release this tool.

True there is the posibility if it is TOO user friendly that it may flood the market it with less than high quality islands. But they still exsist today.

Would really help any1 serious about making islands!

please....ill beg.....

Kevin

BIS will have to release it someday as we ModMakers signed a contract with them and their part of the agreement was that we would get all three tools:

Oxygen

Visitor

Filebank

now the question is when.

I would welcome Visitor for I bet its terrain editing capabilities are on far higher level than WrpEdit. It is always better to use ORIGINAL.

BTW I am sure that BIS can release it - it will end up just like the Oxygen thing: there are few excellent model makers, other few which are good, few bad but every other "consument" just downloads, looks at it, decides it to be too complex and deletes Ox. Kinda natural selection - I think same will happen with Visitor after BIS release it:)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Topic: Should bis release visitor? <span id='postcolor'>

Yes... The more official tools the better... if we have some more tools we (the community©®) can build things even better.. although some people (Alonewolf , kegetys , FlipeR etc etc) have made great things and programs without official support , official support is essentil.. the public release of O2 really helped... smile.gif

as far as i know there are some problems on the release on visitor who aren´t related to user-friendliness or anything like that...

alright guys this is my thoughts on this whole deal. To develope software like this from scratch takes SO much time and money. It's almost like if BIS gave out operation flashpoint for free. I think thats the whole reason BIS waited so long to release 02, and the reason i dout they will release visitor. Who wants to give out incredibal software like that for free? Really, its giving you the ability to totally change the game they've spent so long perfecting, with tools that they used to perfect it, and the tools they spent time and money coding.

I'm not saying i don't want to see visitor, it just doesn't look like they will. Who cares if people start making crappy stuff with it, don't download it, thats not a valid reason.

The program is in Czech, needs to be translated and you cant cheange the game fully with it, its only a world editor.

they will release it in a few months im sure