JBOY Bean Bag Shotgun - Here's a fun script for y'all!  Combine this with @beno_83au's breaching script and @phronk's flash bang script, and we've got Swat 4-like "less lethal" action covered in ARMA 3!  Yeehaw!

Links:

Features:

• This is a script (not a mod).
  • Converts shotgun into less lethal Bean Bag firing shotgun.
  • Bean bag projectile is visible in flight and bounces off objects when it hits.
  • Victims are stunned, drop their weapons and ragdoll.
  • After recovering from a bean bag hit, has a large chance of being subdued (and a small chance of either picking up their weapon again or running).
  • Player can also be bean-bagged and stunned.
  • Victims grunt in pain when hit.
  • Any shotgun mod can be supported (edit the init.sqf to set what class of shotgun and shotgun ammo is to be converted to bean bag usage)
  • Player can toggle between Lethal (normal shotgun ammo) and Non-Lethal (bean bag ammo)

Credits:  Thanks to RHS team for RHS shotgun weapon used in demo.

How to implement in your mission:

• Download the demo mission
  • Copy the Scripts folder to your mission
  • Copy the contents of init.sqf into your init.sqf.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Haha, love it. Nice expansion on the less-lethal front.

• Thanks 1

This is so cool!!! Congrats on another awesome script release brother.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EO said:

This ^^, sounds righteous man, maybe throw in that neat Window Breaker mod too.

I like it, good thinking.  And a few of Beno's mirrors on the walls too.

20 hours ago, zagor64bz said:

This is so cool!!! Congrats on another awesome script release brother.

Thanks Zagor.  Its fun to put the bean down on some AI, then they stand up, then you bean 'em down again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah man, those mirrors are a slick concept and execution, you damn scripters have all the fun!

• Like 2

Thank you for this, works really well.  SWAT 4,  like ARMA is one of only a few games that never leave my hard drive and hasn't done for as long as I can remember.

Just recently I was trying and testing for quite some time to find a quick and simple way in single player using 'addaction' without any need for an sqf script or using variables to manually restrain(handcuff) all 'suspects' in a SWAT 4 fashion just after 'deploying'  non-lethal weapons such as flashbangs, stun grenades, tear gas, CS, taser (from different scripts/mods- Phronk, KA and RHS) the idea is to "OPEN,BANG & CLEAR" and while the suspects are 'stunned' and in that animation they can be restrained.  Obviously not the AI doing this, this would be done by the player of course. 

These are the two scripts placed in each 'suspects' init - I didn't write these originally, I can't write scripts but I've modified them as best I could, crude and messy but they are the only way I can get this to work (for the most part)

this addAction [ "restrain", { (_this select 0) removeAction (_this select 2); (_this select 0) SwitchMove "";  (_this select 0) disableAI "ANIM";  (_this select 0)  playaction "surrender" ;[(_this select 0)] joinSilent (group (_this select 0));(_this select 0) setCaptive true }, nil, 6, true, true, "", "_this distance _target < 3" ];                                                     

this addAction [ "cuff", { (_this select 0) removeAction (_this select 2);   (_this select 0)  playMove "Acts_AidlPsitMstpSsurWnonDnon_loop" ;[(_this select 0)] joinSilent (group (_this select 0)); }, nil, 6, true, true, "", "_this distance _target < 3" ]; 

This is nothing specifically to do with the 'JBOY Bean Bag Shotgun' which works splendidly and fun to use, just the use of available non-lethal weapons in general.  The problem and the need for two addactions is because after the 'suspects' have been 'stunned'  by a flashbang, stun grenade, tear gas or CS and they switch to the stunned animation, it's during that short period they need to be restrained before they regain their senses and start shooting, when the first addaction "restrain" is executed they switch to the "surrender" animation but moments later they snap out of that and they switch to a combat pose, frozen with their gun pointed, although they are no longer a threat, it just looks and feels terrible, there seems no way within the addaction parameters to remove weapons either, hence the need for the second addaction "cuff" after that is executed they will then permanently remain in the "cuffed" state. The first addaction is unable to permanently restrain the 'suspects' in whatever animation regardless of using 'playaction', 'switchmove' or 'playmove', almost seems like they're not aggressive enough to cancel out completely the 'stunned' animation.

I apologize if this should have been posted in the main forum but I thought it appropriate just to mention it here being on the subject of SWAT and less-lethal weapons. Perhaps there is not much more that can be done with these addactions, but if there is some minor adjustment or addition to these addactions that may help tidy it up or cancel out the need for the second addaction, please let me know. Thanks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whirlybirds said:

I apologize if this should have been posted in the main forum but I thought it appropriate just to mention it here being on the subject of SWAT and less-lethal weapons. Perhaps there is not much more that can be done with these addactions, but if there is some minor adjustment or addition to these addactions that may help tidy it up or cancel out the need for the second addaction, please let me know. Thanks.

These are solid ideas man.  We should be able to restrain/cuff suspects like in Swat 4.

And we have "Swat 5" to look forward to!  https://voidinteractive.net/

• Like 1

Thanks. Simple, clean restraining would be a welcome thing. There are a lot of excellent non-lethal weapons in Arma and especially if you're playing as SWAT or police, it feels kind of self-defeating that after using these non-lethal weapons you end up having to kill the enemies anyway. 

SWAT 5 'Ready or Not', I recall reading about that a while back, the creator of the Elite Force mod was hired to work on it, a positive thing. Obviously the developers do want to retain the origins of SWAT. Looking at the trailer it does appear to be a modernized SWAT 4 and hopefully that's what it will be. Strange that it's been nearly 15 years since the release of SWAT 4 and even with all the technological advances in gaming since then, nothing close to it has been made since. With the exception of simulating some of that gameplay in Arma, the only other such game would be an even older Raven Shield.

• Like 1

Hey mate,
Having issues with changing the weapon and ammo type classnames. 
I've changed the classnames in the example mission to the following using CUP;

JBOY_BeanbagShotgun ="CUP_sgun_M1014";          // Shotgun class that will fire bean bags
JBOY_BeanbagProjectile = 'CUP_8Rnd_B_Beneli_74Slug';           // Type of projectile the fired EH looks for to substitute a beanbag for.
JBOY_BeanbagMag = 'CUP_8Rnd_12Gauge_Slug'; // Shotgun mag that is designated bean bag

But it still fires the original slug rounds. I also tried with the 3CB shotgun and slug rounds which caused the beanbag (bandage) to fire yet it drops at my feet rather than as a projectile. 

Any ideas?

3 hours ago, MAJ Thomas said:

Hey mate,
Having issues with changing the weapon and ammo type classnames. 
I've changed the classnames in the example mission to the following using CUP;

JBOY_BeanbagShotgun ="CUP_sgun_M1014";          // Shotgun class that will fire bean bags
JBOY_BeanbagProjectile = 'CUP_8Rnd_B_Beneli_74Slug';           // Type of projectile the fired EH looks for to substitute a beanbag for.
JBOY_BeanbagMag = 'CUP_8Rnd_12Gauge_Slug'; // Shotgun mag that is designated bean bag

But it still fires the original slug rounds. I also tried with the 3CB shotgun and slug rounds which caused the beanbag (bandage) to fire yet it drops at my feet rather than as a projectile. 

Any ideas?

Hey Thomas.  I just loaded CUP and tried it.  You had the wrong projectile defined.  It should be CUP_12Gauge_Slug.   This works for me with the CUP_sgun_M1014:

JBOY_BeanbagShotgun ="CUP_sgun_M1014";          // Shotgun class that will fire bean bags
JBOY_BeanbagProjectile = 'CUP_12Gauge_Slug';           // Type of projectile the fired EH looks for to substitute a beanbag for.

I'm not familiar with the 3CB shotgun.  Good luck, and I hope you are enjoying the beanbag script!

Thanks heaps man. 

I found that slug class name on their wiki so that's obviously not correct. I thought it would of been something simple like that.

As for the 3CB, that was only a backup option so it's not required. 

Appreciate the quick reply and thanks again. 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MAJ Thomas said:

Appreciate the quick reply and thanks again. 😊

No problem dude.  What are you working on?

Sorry for the late reply. Didn't see that last message. 

I own and run a mil sim unit and our mission this week will be based around us deploying to assist a police force rather than as a military presence. 
The lads will be interacting with role players and will have numerous scenarios that will occur. They will have the shotgun as a non-lethal option along with a tazer we have in our mod. 
Should be a ripper. 
😄

2 minutes ago, MAJ Thomas said:

I own and run a mil sim unit and our mission this week will be based around us deploying to assist a police force rather than as a military presence. 
The lads will be interacting with role players and will have numerous scenarios that will occur. They will have the shotgun as a non-lethal option along with a tazer we have in our mod. 
Should be a ripper. 
😄

Sounds very cool!  Post a video link if you guys make one (and its no trouble to do).  I'd be interested in seeing it.

Sure can. It'll most likely only be screenshots, unless some of the lads stream but I'll give you something. 😄