b3lx

Palms for Middle East scenarios

Palms available in Arma are basically two kinds: phoenix palms available in Altis and a variant used in Malden, and various tropical palms available form CUP (used in Fallujah I think) and Tanoa better quality ones. In maps that that portray middle eastern regions terrain makers have opted exclusively AFAIK for the tropical kinds which for me it makes maps seem either south asian or african instead of middle eastern. The best alternative would be to make a new model which can be used to replace the ones in existing maps by script or used in new terrains. Meanwhile the phoenix palm seems the most viable choice: 

Spoiler

3921M4j.png

I'l post some examples of using these phoenix palms in existing maps soon. I know it may be a silly discussion for many but since I stumbled on this issue twice already I think we can discuss it here instead of hijacking other people's topics. And maybe we'll get a proper date palm model in the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I experimented with replacing the Cannabis plants on Anizay with large and small phoenix "date" palms and the results look pretty good. Dates are farmed in Afghanistan, so seeing clumps of cultivated date palms around that map looks reasonable. 

I tried the Malden palms in the new Anizay terrain and I think they work pretty good. This could be southeastern Syria or Iraq.

6nnAXdE.jpg

These are the model paths:

"a3\vegetation_f_argo\Trees\t_PhoenixRupicola1s_F.p3d", "a3\vegetation_f_argo\Trees\t_PhoenixRupicola3s_F.p3d"

The only problem is that it seems these palms can only be created as simple objects, so you'd better not try to run over them with tanks

And of course Diyala looks a bit more like Diyala now:

jgC9gWQ.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 10/18/2018 at 2:57 AM, tpw said:

I experimented with replacing the Cannabis plants on Anizay with large and small phoenix "date" palms and the results look pretty good. Dates are farmed in Afghanistan, so seeing clumps of cultivated date palms around that map looks reasonable. 

The phoenix palms ended up to be the choice for Anizay, great!

• Like 1