Jump to content
fat_lurch

RPGTard - Liberal use of RPGs

Recommended Posts

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

 

This mod modifies the ammo "cost" of the RHS OR Vanilla RPG-7s such that AI is MUCH more likely to use RPGs. It also removes the restriction on firing RPGs against infantry.

 

The AI will finally use their RPGs like in the movies! I fully acknowledge this is bad tactics, but it's a lot of fun!

 

Right now this doesn't work if the unit has a pistol.

 

The screenshot for this mod was the first time I played with it enabled on a server. Bad day for me...

 

So far I've used this with the Project OPFOR units, running the RHS RPG-7s. It should work on ALL RPG-7 units that use the standard 7.62x39 ball or 5.45x39 ball ammo from RHS in their primaries.

 

Technical background: this mod sets the cost of using RPGs to 0, and the cost of using standard 7.62 or 5.45 ammo to 100000 - this is the only way to "trick" ARMA 3 into allowing units to use their launchers regularly against enemy infantry.

 

During my testing, the changes didn't appear to have any negative effects on standard infantry, but this is an early development item. If you see any issues, please let me know ASAP.

 

UPDATE 2018/03/24: Added a Vanilla version per request. This should do the same thing for the Apex RPG-7s if the AI is using 5.45x39 ball or tracer ammo.

UPDATE 2019/07/01: Added a CUP version per request. I tried a different technique on this one - it should be less finnicky than the other version. I'd appreciate feedback to confirm/deny this. 

 

Planned Changes/updates:

Create equivalent add-on for other weapon packs (CUP?)

Increase variety of primary ammo types the addons work with

Look into creating mods to Project OPFOR to add AP RPG-7 gunners 

 

Thanks!

 

Demonstration Video

Steam Workshop - RHS Version

Steam Workshop - Vanilla Version

Steam Workshop - CUP Version

 

 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an awesome idea, but is there plans for a non-RHS (using APEX RPG's) version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jarrad96 said:

This is an awesome idea, but is there plans for a non-RHS (using APEX RPG's) version?

@jarrad96, I can look into it, yes.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@jarrad96 I've added a link to a vanilla version in my original post - I've tested this less than the RHS version. Please let me know if you have any issues.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for doing this - one of my biggest gripes with this game is it being a wargame yet so many units hesitate to really open up. In a wargame...lol thanks again

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

Thanks for doing this - one of my biggest gripes with this game is it being a wargame yet so many units hesitate to really open up. In a wargame...lol thanks again

Thanks @froggyluv!

 

I know where you're coming from.

 

I do want to be clear though - I know using anti-tank rounds against infantry is bad tactics. However, in the context of ARMA it's a heck of a lot more interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, fat_lurch said:

It also removes the restriction on firing RPGs against infantry.

 

Hello there fat_lurch!

 

Congratulations, finally we will see some RPG'S coming in our way!

 

Something that i would like ,  just to mention , is that , there are the A/T for antitank and  A/P for infantry use.

So , will the enemies use the correct one depending the target?

I don't know if you might have done this already.!

 

Cool idea , continue the good work!

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

 

Hello there fat_lurch!

 

Congratulations, finally we will see some RPG'S coming in our way!

 

Something that i would like ,  just to mention , is that , there are the A/T for antitank and  A/P for infantry use.

So , will the enemies use the correct one depending the target?

I don't know if you might have done this already.!

 

Cool idea , continue the good work!

 

 Thanks @GEORGE FLOROS GR!

 

My original intent for this mod was to make use of the existing loadouts in the Project OPFOR mod, this way I could see ALiVE place some RPG gunners automatically. With this in mind, this mod allows the AI to use any RPG-7 round against any target. 

 

Unfortunately, the existing loadouts are equipped with AT only.

 

I may see if there's anything I can do to add some AP rounds to the kits, or create an AP gunner class and add it to the infantry groups.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, fat_lurch said:

I may see if there's anything

Sounds GOOD to me !

Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, khaosmatical said:

Can this be run solely on a dedicated server or does it need to be run clientside as well?

 

It would need to be run on whichever machine the AI is local to/spawned from. 

 

It's never been real clear to me which machines spawn what so I have it running on my clients and dedicated server.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update 2019/07/01: CUP version added with new coding that is (hopefully) more stable. See original post for link.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 10:02 PM, fat_lurch said:

 

It would need to be run on whichever machine the AI is local to/spawned from. 

 

It's never been real clear to me which machines spawn what so I have it running on my clients and dedicated server.

 

 

Broadly speaking, in MP, the enemy ai are on the server or headless client if one is used.

 The friendly ai will be on the machine that is the group leader of the ai group. If that leader is a player, then they will need the mod. If that leader is another ai, then the server needs the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in real life infantry use RPGs against units that are garrisoned in buildings or taking in solid covers... using it in the open is a bad idea, in my opinion, it will be a huge waste if it misses, but if you use it on urban areas even when you miss your target it will explode on building or wall or any near object that will heart anyone around the impact zone 

however your mod is great but i hope you can take it further with improvements :hehe:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AirShark said:

in real life....it will be a huge waste if it misses,

 

I guess the Taliban and ISIS never got that memo. 😉

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally agree this is bad tactics. The intent is to simulate a poorly trained paramilitary force (the same kind of folks who have casualties from the RPG back blast itself). 

 

I suspect the effect is exaggerated compared to real world, but it's been pretty entertaining having rockets whiz by - it gets your attention.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the mod!
Would it be possible to make a version/setting less tarded? Where RPG-s and possibly other AT launchers will be used against infantry but rarely

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I love the idea, it seems that infantry have gone from one extreme to the other. Vanilla, they never fire an RPG and now they spunk them all off at the first opportunity.

Somewhere in between would be nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tankbuster said:

While I love the idea, it seems that infantry have gone from one extreme to the other. Vanilla, they never fire an RPG and now they spunk them all off at the first opportunity.

Somewhere in between would be nice.

I can look into this, yes. It will take some testing to get the desired effect - help with this from the community would be appreciated.

 

The negative tradeoff is there will be at least two versions for each weapon set (Vanilla, RHS, NIA, CUP, etc.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:11 AM, Tankbuster said:

While I love the idea, it seems that infantry have gone from one extreme to the other. Vanilla, they never fire an RPG and now they spunk them all off at the first opportunity.

Somewhere in between would be nice.

I just updated the addon so that the AI are a bit less likely to use an RPG-7. The RPG-7 itself has been made MUCH less accurate (dispersion was 0.002. The Cup M4A1 had a dispersion of 0.0014...).

 

I'd really appreciate feedback on the changes - these will become the baseline for updating the RPGTard variants.

 

Thanks!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will they shoot RPG's at helos? I have been following this for a while but never asked that question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Nichols said:

Will they shoot RPG's at helos? I have been following this for a while but never asked that question.

 

Yes they will.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 2:19 AM, fat_lurch said:

I just updated the addon so that the AI are a bit less likely to use an RPG-7. The RPG-7 itself has been made MUCH less accurate (dispersion was 0.002. The Cup M4A1 had a dispersion of 0.0014...).

 

I'd really appreciate feedback on the changes - these will become the baseline for updating the RPGTard variants.

 

Thanks!

Is the version on Steam Workshop up to date?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tankbuster said:

Is the version on Steam Workshop up to date?

Yes it is

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool. going to try it serverside on my coop mission now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×