zgmrvn

Surface Painter - a simple toolbox for map makers

Hello @diabolical.

Yes we'll add the writting of errors into the .rpt when a failure occurs. You'll be able to report the exact error to here.

• Like 2

Any chance to set the values for random size values - like factors of 0.7-1.2 ?

"palm_01";201142.1719;7879.3687;97.043;5.524;9.854;1;0.0541;
"palm_01";201146.8750;7886.0552;-87.987;6.051;-6.968;1;0.1157;
"palm_02";201146.9688;7915.2310;90.086;6.730;-2.277;1;-0.1599;

So far there is only a value of 1.

hi @icebreakr, that's the next step, the Object Pool will be refactored to allow more flexibility, here is a photoshoped prototype of what i'm looking for.

Thanks @foxhound.

Surface Painter v1.0.1

- fixed UI scale
- fixed TIFF conversion from 32-bits to 8-bits

Also, source code of dlls has been pushed on the repository.

• Like 3

On 30/9/2017 at 6:03 PM, zgmrvn said:

hi @icebreakr, that's the next step, the Object Pool will be refactored to allow more flexibility, here is a photoshoped prototype of what i'm looking for.

Thanks @foxhound.

Surface Painter v1.0.1

- fixed UI scale
- fixed TIFF conversion from 32-bits to 8-bits

Also, source code of dlls has been pushed on the repository.

When i click generate it stays for about 10 minutes and more. And it never finish. No errors on rpt.

Hi @miguel93041 .

I found the issue is in the 24-bit to 8-bit conversion process. Actually it's using the "Lossless Fast Pseudo-Quantization Algorithm" by Carsten Klein which is very fast. But it fails to convert your image (I don't know why). So my solution is to switch to another algorithm, which is more effective but slower (for very large images, it may take several minutes to do the conversion), but at least it works with that image.

I need to do further tests before validating that solution, but it seems to be the best one.

• Like 1

@miguel93041 if you want to get rid of this issue convert your image in 8-bits, that's what SP ultimately outputs.

@miguel93041 also, there might be something wrong with how you generate your surface map in first place because as you can see on the following image all your transitions are blurred

2QJhmp1.png 

One question... I did a rather large portion of the new map with your SP tool. When I click Export nothing happens for like 2 minutes and then message appears "Objects were successfully copied to your clipboard"... umm, clipboard is empty ;) any tips before I start crying like a little girl?

Edit: tried it once more and 45000 lines were copied to clipboard, pheew ;)

@icebreakr

Nx0D93m.jpg

I'd suggest to split this work in several shorter sessions next time ^^

It cofirms that an async export through the dll might be usefull

How long did it take to place thoses 45000 objects ?

• Like 1

45K is not that unusual if you are doing your trees, bushes, little rocks etc with a brushtool. Might be an option to make that save directly do a textfile instead of copying it to the clipboard.

well, i did not expect so much objects to be exported at once ^^

Surface Painter v1.1.1

- added hability to export objects directely in a .txt file

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Whooa. You update your tool faster than I work on my maps ;) 45000 is quite fast to place down, but I am having trouble with the brush - simply doesn't work for me, so I can only use the edge and draw the areas...

• Like 1

Hey, me again.

Have any thoughts been made to making this more multiplayer friendly? Was in a multiplayer session boxing out ideas for an area to develop with Xcam, and i painted some areas with surface, however other players saw the tiles as 1mx1m helipads. I assume that is the default texture to use if it can't find a colour definition properly. 

I have not tested what other people see if they have the mask and layers cfg. I'm not sure what data you currently send over the network. 

Surface Painter v1.1.2

Big thanks to @_SCAR and the Discord community : E2TB

- implemented _SCAR's fix for objects exported for TB, now .lbt files are exported, they can be imported in TB exactly like a .txt.

• Thanks 3